Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you read message 25 above?

BOb
Yes - I read it as saying that there is an incompatibility between the Gen3 and the Mac. That doesn't imply that it's Bookeen's "fault". Perhaps Apple aren't implementing the USB mass storage device protocol correctly?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - I read it as saying that there is an incompatibility between the Gen3 and the Mac. That doesn't imply that it's Bookeen's "fault". Perhaps Apple aren't implementing the USB mass storage device protocol correctly?
Well, I guess it is possible, but considering that every other device such as Kindle, Sony, USB sticks, cameras etc all mount fine... I'm guess it is and issue with the Bookeen device.

This is probably mostly due to Bookeen testing only on Windows platform.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just speculation on my part, Bob. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that the "fault" lies with one party rather than the other, because we don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #34
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
yes - I have a 3 day old cybook (820 firmware) on an imac i bought a year ago.
Its very spotty and temperamental about when it detects it.
also the Sd card and the cybook memory instantly remount when i eject them.
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #35
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Do you connect it direct to the MAC or via a hub? Try direct if via a hub.
Also, Calibre now mounts and unmounts the Cybook correctly so try using that and see if it helps.

On my Mac Mini I can happily connect nad eject without any issues now although I did have issues early on with the the last release of teh Cybook firmware, but these dissappeared with firmware 796 but that could just be coincidence.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #36
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It seems that some recent Gen3 have issues with Mac OS version prior to 10.5.. If you read the back of your Gen3 do you have one or two stickers?

If you have one you may have one of the Gen3 with problems with older Mac OS X versions.

Contact bookeen, if you not already done it before about your problem, they may have already a fix for this if this is not an Apple problem like HarryT said.

Last edited by Godzil; 03-16-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #37
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have 2 stickers, a sliver one and a white Serial number one. I amrunning OSX 10.5.6 though.

Howard
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #38
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
If you didn't do it before, you should contact Bookeen about this
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #39
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan
romi began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Hi everyone,

It's May now. Any new developments on this?

I just got my cybook gen3 yesterday. Finally. Marvelous device, but when I connect it to my mac:

1. "Cybook Gen3" shows up in the finder, normally, though ...
2. disappears after 1 second
3. says that the device was not disconnected (dismounted) properly
4. cybook is frozen on the "connected" screen and needs a reset.

Pretty sad for a first experience, but I'm not really worried as I know the cybook well enough and I know it's a great device and a cool company.

Thanks,
romi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 AM   #40
ser1us
Enthusiast
ser1us doesn't litterser1us doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook Gen3
hi romi

I don't have the exact problem but my experience with the cybook is the following:
when I connect it to the mac the sd card and the device itself shows in finder. When I eject them they reappear after one second. I'm not able to eject them properly... now I eject them and remove the cable soon afterwards, sometimes it works sometimes not...
ser1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #41
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

Actually today at work I tried to connect to my PC and no luck. First few times nothing, and then after trying all USB ports (I've got 2 hubs and 8 ports on the PC itself) all I got was "device not recognized". All tips on the wiki were tried. I'm a bit sad about this. I mean I can live wonderfully with just the SD card, but the 512MB of internal memory... well, why not? Plus, I don't always have a card reader with me.

ser1us: Now to your question. Try the following:

1. don't eject any of the cybook drives
2. start disk utility
3. click on the highest level device in the side bar and click the icon "dismount" or "unmount" or whatever, not "eject". That should completely remove the whole device.

If the problem rests with the cybook itself, this procedure will bear no fruit. It might be that the cybook itself decides to send the signal to reconnect. Then you're out of luck.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 AM   #42
ser1us
Enthusiast

Hi romi,

already tried that disk utility has indeed an option to eject or deactivate the device. But no luck , the cybook sends the signal to reconnect I watched the konsole messages and it confirms my theorie. I see how the system disconnects the devices and soon afterwards it's reconnected.

What I do now is starting a virtualbox image (similiar to vmware but free) with a Windows XP and use the safely remove hardware button. Then it works.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #43
pthwaite
Fanatic

What version of OS are you running? I'm on 10.5.6 and have no issues. The other thing, try changing ports. I occasionally had a simillar issue when using a lower power usb port, I now usually conect my Cybook & DR1000 via a powered usb hub and both now detect and quit correctly.

Howard
Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #44
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

Hi Howard,

I'm running the latest Leopard (according to software update). Strange is that it won't recognize even on Windows. Anyway, I'm not going to mess with firmware, because SD card is working nicely so far and I hope we'll find an elegant non-intrusive solution to this.

The device itself is great. So fast [1], wow!

-romi

[1] I'm aware of the fact that this statement will become ridiculous over time ...
Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #45
ser1us
Enthusiast

hi howard ! I'm running 10.5.6 and using the internal usb port directly connected with my cybook. maybe it's a new "feature" of the 1.4 885 build ;-)

Tags
connect, cybook, mac, usb