Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Kobo h2o any way to stop refresh screen?

Is there any patch i can stop aura h2o refresh screen after every 6 pages? I have kindle pw 3 and i don't think it refresh at all.

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You could, but it won't look as good as on a PW3 (for some mystifying reason, the H2O doesn't have full reagl support. There was an early experiment on that front with the Aura, though. The Glo HD *might* be a step in the right direction, but confirming how it behaves in production has been a murky enterprise at best so far...).

(And, FWIW, a PW3 will eventually trigger a full flash, if there's a significant amount of graphics (as in images) in a page, or at specific intervals tied to the amount of time spent/pages read, and the temperature of the device. But, yeah, it's fairly rare, and very fast. The Kindles handle eInk intricacies vastly better than Kobos).

Your easiest solution (besides overriding the ioctl to kill FULL updates, àla nightmode), is the patch tweaking the setting for the amount of pages before a full flash is triggered. That's one of the patch in the excellent patchset available in one of the stickies in this very forum.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-18-2016 at 09:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You don't need a patch to change the refresh rate. Just modify the the config file. First, set the refresh rate to something other than 6. Then edit the config file and look for "numPartialUpdatePageTurns". Change the value to anything up to 99. Make sure you use a Linux line end aware editor (DO NOT use Notepad).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor: Good point! I assume that goes poof if you ever open the relevant Settings menu, though?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@davidfor: Good point! I assume that goes poof if you ever open the relevant Settings menu, though?
Actually, it doesn't. I was thinking it did, but I just realised I've fiddled with some of the other options on the same page recently (page numbers in the margin and the page number display) and it still has my custom number.
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Thanks. Probably will change the file as David mentioned.

Just curious, the reason it still set 6 is because eink technology or just because Kobo is lazy to change it because PW3 doesnt have that setting
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because -- again, for some mystifying reason: the screen itself is the same generation as the PW2/PW3/Voyage/Oasis, albeit driven by a previous gen controller/SoC; they at least caught up on that for the Glo HD -- it lacks the semi-software/semi-hardware features (i.e., a reagl-enabled waveform, and a much less messy eInk driver code) needed to behave to the fullest of its capacities, so having the relevant settings exposed (like on the Aura), wouldn't help.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-19-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

There's also a bit of laziness on Kobo's part. Six was probably right for the Touch and older, but, even without updating the other software features for the newer displays, they can easily handle 20 page turns without a full refresh. I have my Glo HD set to 16 pages and my usage usually means a full refresh is triggered for some other reason before I hit the page turning refresh. If they added 10 and 20 for the Glo HD and the Aura H2O, it would probably satisfy most people.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@davidfor: I can't say for sure (not having one, and the driver code being so messy and confusing), but I *think* the Glo HD might be silently using reagl at least *some* of the time, which might explain why it can handle that fairly well.

At the very least there are hints that they played with it at one point. Beats me why that wouldn't make it to prod.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-19-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
Erich Zann
Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Nook Glowlight (2012), Sony PRS-505
I've patched the H2O and it supports 128 page-turns before refresh. I'm using this setting, and display quality is far from ruined. Display is not perfect, but hardly annoying. In fact, the display on my older Nook SimpleTouch Glowlight was more irritating on the 5th page turn than my H2O on the 127th!
I add that a refresh occurs after using the dictionary. I'm often using it (not every page of course, but maybe each ~50 pages). So I rarely go up to 128 page turns without refresh.
Erich Zann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
You guys have me wondering if I have a dud unit. The most I can go is page refresh on alternate turns. The second page looks like a thin paperback page with the text from the other side showing through, and third turn onwards is unacceptable to my eyes on my device.

I really need to meet up with someone who has another H2O to compar devices and see why I absolutely need page refresh on every turn.

Not that I'm too worried. It's just curiosity. Page refreshes don't bother my eyes, and I actually like it sometimes because every page refresh makes me marvel at the fact that we have progressed enough to compress an entire printing press into a book sized device in our hands.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 05-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Don't take me wrong: if you've never had a PW2/PW3/Voyage/Oasis in your hands, that display looks mighty fine. Unfortunately, I come from the Kindle side of things, so that was kind of a glaring disappointment for me .

@howyoudoin: If you haven't already, I'd suggest, as an experiment, to try even slightly different font size/weight (or, more dramatically, family) settings. That can make a rather large difference on the visible effects of ghosting/reverse ghosting.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't take me wrong: if you've never had a PW2/PW3/Voyage/Oasis in your hands, that display looks mighty fine. Unfortunately, I come from the Kindle side of things, so that was kind of a glaring disappointment for me .

@howyoudoin: If you haven't already, I'd suggest, as an experiment, to try even slightly different font size/weight (or, more dramatically, family) settings. That can make a rather large difference on the visible effects of ghosting/reverse ghosting.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. I assume smaller font sizes show greater ghosting even on the devices with the latest gen controllers?

I generally read with 28-33 lines per page, any larger font size is unfortunately not suited to my reading habits since it takes away the illusion of a paperback page for me.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Erich Zann
Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Nook Glowlight (2012), Sony PRS-505
Just a question howyoudoin, are you reading in direct sunshine?
I haven't tried with my H2O (I live in a cloudy region), but with my previous reader (Nook) I noticed that ghosting was much more irritating outdoor on sunny afternoon than indoor with much less light.
Erich Zann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@howyoudoin: I'm on the same ballpark here, around 31 to 33 lines (kepubs, fullscreen mode, nearly null margins). I've always been fond of slab-serifs, so either Caecilia or Bookerly work well for me.

If I feel like full serifs, I either go for the classic, Adobe Garamond Pro; or the Crimson family, or the good old Gentium Book Basic.

But that's a highly subjective matter, so, YMMV .