Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The screen of my H2O is lighter than the screens of my 650/T1/nook STR.
I'm sure there's a great deal of individual variation, and let's leave it at that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #17
Sergio Nova
Sergio Nova began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
If the problem is reading comics, I believe you can use Pocketbook with no problem [https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=162852] without making conversations, once it is cheaper.

If you plan to have mores uses, Onyx would be better, as you have a myriad of apps under Android.
Sergio Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #18
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
Or ... Consider the Icarus 8 discontinued, remaindered, available as refurbished approx $125 US

delivered to your door (as mine was) within a week ....Maybe

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #19
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am currently using the Onyx Boox I86ml for manga with Comicrack.
I will try to put up pictures in the other manga reading thread tomorrow.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #20
etatoby
etatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notes

Device: BOOX Note 3, HiSense A5 Pro CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Nova View Post
If the problem is reading comics, I believe you can use Pocketbook with no problem https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162852 without making conversions
Thank you, this settles it. I'm also a Linux developer and an open source enthusiast, so I'm not afraid of using and fixing open source apps. InkPad ordered!
etatoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #21
AdmiralAnimE
AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Hello,
I want to buy my first reader and I want to read epub, pdf and manga. I'm also considering the three devices mentioned, plus Illumina XL, which has a lower resolution - 1024x768. Has anyone read manga on a lower resolution screen and can tell me if it's ok or not?
AdmiralAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAnimE View Post
Hello,
I want to buy my first reader and I want to read epub, pdf and manga. I'm also considering the three devices mentioned, plus Illumina XL, which has a lower resolution - 1024x768. Has anyone read manga on a lower resolution screen and can tell me if it's ok or not?
You would need to look at the resolution of the source material and see what it is. What is the resolution of a typical Manga image?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #23
AdmiralAnimE
AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Well... I don't know if there is a typical resolution. I have some manga and it's from 700 to 1000 width, sometimes even 1300, the height is from 1000 to 1500, sometimes 2000.
Maybe it won't be enough :/ I really wanted to like that reader.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAnimE View Post
Well... I don't know if there is a typical resolution. I have some manga and it's from 700 to 1000 width, sometimes even 1300, the height is from 1000 to 1500, sometimes 2000.
Maybe it won't be enough :/ I really wanted to like that reader.

I am a bit surprised that the resolution of the reader is that low (160 ppi) in a new reader, but it should be OK for Manga. It is similar to a 6" at 800 x 600 so if you can see one of those you should be able to compare. Of course the screen is larger so you will have to imagine the bigger screen but the detail is comparable. It will adjust the images to fit the screen. The resolution is comparable to the original iPad mini. The native app does not do typical Manga formats CBZ and CBR but you could use PDF or download your favorite Android app. I just built a wiki page for this product.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-05-2015 at 04:27 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #25
AdmiralAnimE

Ok, well, considering that I use 100 ppi monitor (21.5 inches, 1080p), I may like it. I was surprised too, but apparently the screen is from a different manufacturer.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #26
etatoby
etatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notes

Device: BOOX Note 3, HiSense A5 Pro CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am a bit surprised that the resolution of the reader is that low (160 ppi) in a new reader, but it should be OK for Manga.
I beg to differ.

I'm used to reading manga on paper. Translations in my country are mostly published in the Japanese format, 13x18cm. (I heard American releases use a different format, I'm not sure if that's true.)

The InkPad shrinks the page by 9%. This is not ideal, because it makes everything smaller, but it's ok as long as you are comfortable holding the device closer. This would depend on what kind of eyesight you have, I suppose.

Therefore having a HD screen is essential. Manga art is made of small lines, elaborate screentones, and sometimes small writing. I don't think a 160 ppi would cut it at all.

OTOH, I'm very satisfied with the InkPad and the PBImageViewer cbr/cbz reading app. It's much faster than the builtin ePub reading app, for instance. Page transitions are as fast as the screen allows; it switches to landscape mode automatically for double-page spreads; it can trim white margins to maximize the page size… it's really a five star app.
etatoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
10basetom
10basetom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you are a serious traditional manga (i.e., B&W) reader, then IMHO the hands-down best e-ink device to read manga is the Sony DPT-S1. It's overpriced even at the reduced price of $800, but like I said, if you are serious about getting your manga fix without the dead trees, then this is it. Here's a recent in-depth review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9860/s...m-dpts1-review

Once you invest the time to convert your manga collection to PDF, you will be transported to manga heaven. Seriously, once you experience reading manga on a 1600 x 1200 13.3" Mobius e-ink screen, there's no going back. Everything else will feel like a compromise, and life's too short for those, right?

I won't go into detail about some other benefits (and shortcomings) of the DPT-S1, so I recommend reading the AnandTech review instead.
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #28
tinkywinky666
tinkywinky666 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Sorry for replying to an old thread, but since there's no other like this, just gonna post here. Any news regarding MANGA ereaders? 8.0 are to small - proved with pictures & data, but 8.1 - 8.3 should be enough for 13x18cm manga page, right (am not good with numbers, help)? However is there (will be?) one on the market?

Last edited by tinkywinky666; 12-19-2021 at 10:00 AM.
tinkywinky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkywinky666 View Post
Sorry for replying to an old thread, but since there's no other like this, just gonna post here. Any news regarding MANGA ereaders? 8.0 are to small - proved with pictures & data, but 8.1 - 8.3 should be enough for 13x18cm manga page, right (am not good with numbers, help)? However is there (will be?) one on the market?
I don't see how adding 0.25 to 0.75 cm to 20 cm can make a significant difference.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #30
tinkywinky666
tinkywinky666 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't see how adding 0.25 to 0.75 cm to 20 cm can make a significant difference.
I don't understand ya math, please explain as it (provided numbers & calculations) may be the solution - the answer how many inches gonna be 1:1 manga page 13x18cm.
As for now, people using 8.0 must face shrinking page issue so detail loss - to avoid that am looking for the device enabling one to read it without this "error" but in og format 13x18 manga page.

i.e. kindle oasis 3 (7inch) screen =10x14cm so how I add it up? Like 0.1inch is 0.254cm then 8.4 or 8.5 would be 1:1 to 13x18cm manga page (while 8.0 for sure lacks a wee bit to hit that)?

Uh
tinkywinky666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox 8 inch, manga, pocketbook inkpad