Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
spdavies
spdavies began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Questions on Kobo [Interfered with another thread topic]

Hi,

I'm new here and found the forum looking for information on Kobo readers.
I have an older Kindle Touch.
It's OK but I'm looking for a lighted screen
and the larger screen of the Kobo Aura HD/H2O appeals to me.
I also have a large library of epub books I would like to put on a reader.

I live in Hawaii and I'm not clear on Kobo marketing.
Are they available in the US?
If so, where to buy?
Is the H2O the best Kobo to get?

And finally, what is involved with side-loading epubs from a Mac?

I realize these questions may be answered elsewhere on the forum
and will appreciate redirection to other threads if that is needed.

Thanks for any help.

Aloha, Stephen
spdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdavies View Post
The H2O is currently the highest-end Kobo, so if you want a screen with the best contrast and the waterproofing, and you can afford it, that's the way to go.

On sideloading epubs from a Mac. There are a few ways but here are two:

1. put your books into Calibre, then send them to your Kobo. The biggest advantages of this method, apart from great metadata management and being able to fix issues with the book and being able to run KoboUtilities; is being able to set up your Collections in Calibre (see the sticky thread for details), instead of doing them on your Kobo. It's much easier on your Mac, and the collections will also be there if you ever need to restore your Kobo from a factory reset.

2. drag and drop an epub file onto your Kobo. It works, but offers no perks or special features or refinements.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The H2O is currently the highest-end Kobo, so if you want a screen with the best contrast and the waterproofing, and you can afford it, that's the way to go.

On sideloading epubs from a Mac. There are a few ways but here are two:

1. put your books into Calibre, then send them to your Kobo. The biggest advantages of this method, apart from great metadata management and being able to fix issues with the book and being able to run KoboUtilities; is being able to set up your Collections in Calibre (see the sticky thread for details), instead of doing them on your Kobo. It's much easier on your Mac, and the collections will also be there if you ever need to restore your Kobo from a factory reset.

2. drag and drop an epub file onto your Kobo. It works, but offers no perks or special features or refinements.
Calibre won't work with the H2O until the next release. Because of Kovid's blessed event, he's not been able to put out Friday's release. I would not expect such until next Friday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdavies View Post
Hi,

I'm new here and found the forum looking for information on Kobo readers.
I have an older Kindle Touch.
It's OK but I'm looking for a lighted screen
and the larger screen of the Kobo Aura HD/H2O appeals to me.
I also have a large library of epub books I would like to put on a reader.

I live in Hawaii and I'm not clear on Kobo marketing.
Are they available in the US?
If so, where to buy?
Is the H2O the best Kobo to get?

I realize these questions may be answered elsewhere on the forum
and will appreciate redirection to other threads if that is needed.

Thanks for any help.

Aloha, Stephen
For Kobo readers, I'd try an independent bookstore first or Best Buy. For the latest models, try Kobo.com or Chapters' online store.

As for the H2O, I'd go for it if you want a water resistant reader or one that has a 1430/1440x1080 resolution. Just keep in mind the screen is almost 7", so it's NOT a small reader. Also, it won't have the 3G option (which is why my PW1 travelled with me instead of the Kobo Aura HD or Mini), which is more important overseas.

As for getting your epub files from your Mac, either plug the Kobo in and use it as an external drive or put the books on a MicroSD card and plug that into your reader. Every current Kobo (Touch, Glo, Aura, Aura HD, H2O) supports microSD cards, which is a huge advantage over the Kindle for reading PDF or any large files.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre won't work with the H2O until the next release. Because of Kovid's blessed event, he's not been able to put out Friday's release. I would not expect such until next Friday.
Nooo... 2.5.0 contained the fix
Code:
Fix a typo preventing calibre from recognizing the new Kobo Aura H2O
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You're a week behind. The update was in 2.5.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
spdavies
spdavies began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks everyone, for the helpful info.
Off to search online for an H20.

Stephen
spdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The post by Spdavis has been moved out of the thread that was on a completely different topic.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It works just fine for me, Jon, unless this is some Mac-specific thing you're talking about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote