Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
Iridescent
Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fantasy Reading List 2022

I'm building my fantasy reading list for this year Any recommendations for other excellent fantasy reads?

Picked up this fantasy book a few days ago, Curse Entwined, after I saw it floating around Instagram. I haven't been disappointed yet, but I'm only about 5 chapters in. I hope to finish it within another week or so and move on to another great fantasy read. Last year I wasn't able to read as much as I wanted so I'm hoping I can accomplish more this year
Iridescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
What sort of fantasy do you want to read?

My usual suggestions (apologies to folks seeing these again):

- Susan Cooper _The Dark is Rising_ --- a wonderful set of books which arguably inaugurated urban fantasy, and while marketed to young adults, have a mature moral compass which makes the world a better place when folks read them
- John Steinbeck's sadly unfinished _The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights_ --- a wonderful translation even incompleat
- Jack Vance's _Lyonesse_ Trilogy --- his masterwork of high fantasy
- Poul Anderson's _The Broken Sword_ --- brutal historic fantasy
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
Iridescent
Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridescent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
What sort of fantasy do you want to read?

My usual suggestions (apologies to folks seeing these again):

- Susan Cooper _The Dark is Rising_ --- a wonderful set of books which arguably inaugurated urban fantasy, and while marketed to young adults, have a mature moral compass which makes the world a better place when folks read them
- John Steinbeck's sadly unfinished _The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights_ --- a wonderful translation even incompleat
- Jack Vance's _Lyonesse_ Trilogy --- his masterwork of high fantasy
- Poul Anderson's _The Broken Sword_ --- brutal historic fantasy
As long as it's not like a romance fantasy, I'm generally game!

Thanks for the book recommendations! I'll go ahead and add those to my list!
Old 01-29-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescent View Post
As long as it's not like a romance fantasy, I'm generally game!

Thanks for the book recommendations! I'll go ahead and add those to my list!
I will certainly second
The Lyonnesse Trilogy and The Broken Sword.
I will also add Poul Andersons Three Hearts and Three Lions

As an aside:I will recommend to buy books by Jack Vance at https://jackvance.com/
The books are available as DRMfree epubs and mobis.

I am not in any way affiliated with the website
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I see Curse Entwined takes place at a school, so maybe you'd like other fantasy books with a similar setting? A couple suggestions:

"In Other Lands" by Sarah Rees Brennan. A portal fantasy where a kid from our world is invited to a school in the magical Borderlands.
Quote:
Elliot had “does not interact well with peers” on all his report cards. If the teachers had been more precise, what they would have said was “does not shut up well around stupid people,” but that was teachers for you.
Seanan McGuire has a series about a school for children who have returned to our world from other worlds, starting with "Every Heart a Doorway".
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:38 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I just recently read the Lyonesse Trilogy. I enjoyed it a lot.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:52 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I think it will be appropriate to recommend this fanatasy site here.
Be warned it can be expensive because there are many temptations
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #8
Tony119
Tony119 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescent View Post
I'm building my fantasy reading list for this year Any recommendations for other excellent fantasy reads?

Picked up this fantasy book a few days ago, Curse Entwined, after I saw it floating around Instagram. I haven't been disappointed yet, but I'm only about 5 chapters in. I hope to finish it within another week or so and move on to another great fantasy read. Last year I wasn't able to read as much as I wanted so I'm hoping I can accomplish more this year
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. The Devil makes an appearance in Stalinist Russia, with “a retinue that includes a beautiful naked witch and an immense talking black cat with a fondness for chess and vodka” (from the GR intro; the cat also wields a Mauser).
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, a magical alternate history of England. By Susanna Clarke, who more recently wrote the beautiful but sad Piranesi.
Tony119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
Iridescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I see Curse Entwined takes place at a school, so maybe you'd like other fantasy books with a similar setting? A couple suggestions:

"In Other Lands" by Sarah Rees Brennan. A portal fantasy where a kid from our world is invited to a school in the magical Borderlands.

Seanan McGuire has a series about a school for children who have returned to our world from other worlds, starting with "Every Heart a Doorway".
I'm enjoying Curse Entwined so far, even though I'm not that far in, I can imagine enjoying another book with a similar setting. I guess I've always enjoyed high school drama type of stuff as far as reading (and watching anime) goes Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Iridescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I will certainly second
The Lyonnesse Trilogy and The Broken Sword.
I will also add Poul Andersons Three Hearts and Three Lions

As an aside:I will recommend to buy books by Jack Vance at https://jackvance.com/
The books are available as DRMfree epubs and mobis.

I am not in any way affiliated with the website
Been seeing the Lyonnesse Trilogy around a lot. I will add these to my list! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #11
Iridescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I just recently read the Lyonesse Trilogy. I enjoyed it a lot.
Added!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #12
Iridescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony119 View Post
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. The Devil makes an appearance in Stalinist Russia, with “a retinue that includes a beautiful naked witch and an immense talking black cat with a fondness for chess and vodka” (from the GR intro; the cat also wields a Mauser).
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, a magical alternate history of England. By Susanna Clarke, who more recently wrote the beautiful but sad Piranesi.
Sounds interesting! Thanks!