Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-26-2022, 11:26 PM   #6856
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (retired), Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
dateCreated which by default is labeled "Packaged" on title page and 'Created' in the custom columns tab.
Thanks. I was a bit mislead and thought it was the date the book entry was created in Calibre.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:21 AM   #6857
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Would it be possible(/Not too much effort) for "Get Story URLs from Web Page" to accept multiple urls at the same time, like "Download from URLs"? I'm mostly interested in this so I can download all of an ao3 author's fanfics and all my bookmarks at once.
I'm unlikely to add that.

First, "Get Story URLs from Web Page" runs in the foreground, blocking Calibre from doing anything else. I'm not interested in re-architecting it to do otherwise.

Second, we're always walking a fine line between making it easy for users and not generating too much load for servers.

I feel like 'get all the story URLs from this page' is acceptable, but 'get all the story URLs from this arbitrarily long list of pages'--with the stated intention of downloading all of them--is going too far.

I still feel bad about the guy who used the CLI version to try and download all of ffnet. I wonder if that contributed to where we are now. And how many others did that that I never heard about.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:39 AM   #6858
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I still feel bad about the guy who used the CLI version to try and download all of ffnet. I wonder if that contributed to where we are now. And how many others did that that I never heard about.
Now I am curious as to whether the bot attacks FictionPress mentioned on their twitter was actually people scraping the entire site.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-27-2022 at 12:43 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #6859
ownedbycats
Wizard

Quick question: For AO3, is it possible for there to be a delay between the story updating on site and FFF being able to fetch the changes?

I recently updated the summary of one of my own AO3 fics. Immediately after updating and seeing the changes live on site I queued up an overwrite-always (also had some typo fixes). It downloaded but had the old summary. A few minutes later I tried again and it downloaded with the new summary.

Just trying to figure out what happened. Doubt it's a normal situation to update a fic some 60 seconds after the changes go live, so should I wait a few minutes in the future?

Last edited by ownedbycats; Yesterday at 09:14 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #6860
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've never seen that behavior, but it's certainly possible in theory--especially if you've seen it happen.

I can think of several scenarios, but I'm just guessing.
  • The AO3 site may have a cluster of web servers that don't all get updates at exactly the same time (a less common problem these days, I believe).
  • AO3 may serve logged in users more recent data, or just from different servers on a different schedule as above.
  • AO3 may update data as seen from author page vs story /navigate page at slightly different times.

If you can prove that the metadata from a different page than the story /navigate page is reliably newer, I might change the adapter to use that instead.

But there's no point (IMO) if the metadata is updated (on a different page) before the chapter list.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote