Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Kindle Paperwhite 2-Voyage Software Update 5.6.5

Finally it's here :
The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

A redesigned Smart Lookup makes it easier to get to the actions you want to take while reading - highlight, create a note, share a quote, and more, while keeping your favorite Smart Lookup features like Dictionary, Wikipedia, and X-Ray easily accessible. Just tap and hold on a word, phrase, or sentence to bring up Smart Lookup and swipe right to left to see the next card.

Bookerly, our new, exclusive font specifically designed for reading on digital screens to help customers read faster and with less eyestrain, is now available.

New typography and layout improvements with hyphenation, justification, ligatures, and kerning, as well as pop-up footnotes, endnotes and chapter notes. These improvements are supported in hundreds of thousands of Kindle books today, including many best sellers, with more being added every week, and are currently available for titles in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch.

Goodreads now offers personalized recommendations and author profile pages.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am updating my PW2 at this time.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is also for the Kindle basic.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Finally the update we were all waiting for!!!

That is, the one that lets everyone be critical of the typography.

So, what do people think?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life

The only way I can say it is what a difference. With how much greater looking the text is with my PW2, I am just wondering how much better the voyage will be. But I will have to wait for it to get here the end of this week or early next week.
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life

I have had a chance to read a little while with the new Bookery font, on the PW2 and I can say that I really like it. The text just seems to flow much nicer. And I am not seeing the huge blank space that I was seeing before. This makes me wonder if my new voyage is going to be that much nicer.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Lurtz
Lurtz began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3rd Gen
So every device gets the update except the people who bought the PW3? Great support Amazon...

Edit: It's hidden but it's there.

Last edited by Lurtz; 08-10-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Lurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurtz View Post
So every device gets the update except the people who bought the PW3? Great support Amazon...

Edit: It's hidden but it's there.
No on the amazon site it looks to be also for the PW3. I downloaded the update to my computer then transferred it to my PW2 and did the update. I am sure if you wait for it to be pushed to your kindle it will take longer.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Lurtz
Lurtz began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
No on the amazon site it looks to be also for the PW3. I downloaded the update to my computer then transferred it to my PW2 and did the update. I am sure if you wait for it to be pushed to your kindle it will take longer.
It's hidden on the German site but it's there. The PW2 firmware doesn't work with the PW3, just tried that.
Lurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Yes all of the versions have to have the correct firmware bin.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I still like my embedded font (on side loaded books) better, but it's nice to see that bookerly works on side loaded books, too. I believe some people had said it wouldn't.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I still like my embedded font (on side loaded books) better, but it's nice to see that bookerly works on side loaded books, too. I believe some people had said it wouldn't.
Yes I have tried it on both. I even side load some of my Amazon books. I have found some of the older one and even some of the newer ones need to be edited to add correct TOC. And sometimes the fonts sizes are terrible.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it manually.

The new font looks great.

My Kindle PW2 is a lot snappier in performance. (Of course, I deleted all the files so I could say that. --- HEY! Just joking!)

Thanks to the OP for telling me about the update.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Thanks a lot. I downloaded it manually. I'm updating my Voyage.
I hope I'll like the new font as some of you.

Do you know if the layout improvement will be available for sideloaded books ?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Will jailbreak be possible with this new update? as i didnt jailbreak before first update....
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote