Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Like_to_read
Like_to_read began at the beginning.

Device: None
Installing Android on Kobo Forma

How easy is it to install Android on the Kobo Forma or their latest ereader? I read some posts from 2014 which talked about installing Android on the SD card to avoid bricking the reader.

Have other been able to use to install and use the Kindle Android app?

Thanks

Last edited by Like_to_read; 09-09-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Like_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
It hasn't been done for a while AFAIK. But, if you need Amazon, you'd be better off with a Kindle.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Another easier alternative if you like the Kobo hardware more is to remove the drm from Amazon books. Then convert them to ePub or kepub.

If you don’t like the Kobo reading UI you can install KOreader.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And you probably won't be hearing about it any time soon because external SD card slots went the way of the dodo.

Also, Android on eInk is a... questionable choice. (Also, pain).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_to_read View Post
How easy is it to install Android on the Kobo Forma or their latest ereader? I read some posts from 2014 which talked about installing Android on the SD card to avoid bricking the reader.

Have other been able to use to install and use the Kindle Android app?

Thanks
The only person I knew who installed Android was using a Kobo Aura HD and needed to re-image the internal uSD card multiple times during his experimentation before finally landing on dual booting (Linux from the internal uSD card, Android from the external uSD card). The version of Android he installed is so old (Gingerbread? 2.3??) that finding a Kindle app would be very unlikely.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only person I knew who installed Android was using a Kobo Aura HD ...
Actually, there are Android versions for the Kobos Touch, Glo(nonHD) and AuraHD.
The Android version is Gingerbread alright...
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
Quote:
The only person I knew who installed Android was using a Kobo Aura HD
Actually, there are Android versions for the Kobos Touch, Glo(nonHD) and AuraHD.
The Android version is Gingerbread alright...
As I said, the only person I knew who installed Android. Admittedly, he lifted an idea from Ken Maltby and added a hatch to his Aura HD to allow easy access to the internal uSD card.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And you probably won't be hearing about it any time soon because external SD card slots went the way of the dodo.

Also, Android on eInk is a... questionable choice. (Also, pain).
I disagree Relaunchx on a Nook ST is a thing of beauty.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I installed Android on the original 6.8 Kobo. It was horrible. Very slow. I reccommend Koreader instead.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
As I said, the only person I knew who installed Android.
Sorry for the misunderstanding..
I thought you meant "the only person you knew in the mobileread forums..."
so I add the extra info...😊
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Another option might be a Tolino ebook-reader, whose firmware is based on Android. (The current firmware uses Android 4.4, I believe.)

Since 2017 all new Tolino ereaders are developed by Kobo, based on existing Kobo devices. Meaning you can now get Tolino branded devices, that have an almost identical hardware as their Kobo counterparts, but with an Android based OS instead of Linux.

So far Tolino has released the "Tolino Shine 3" based on the Kobo Clara HD and the "Tolino Epos" based on the Kobo Aura One.

Another Tolino version (either based on the Kobo Libra H2O or Forma) is expected to be announced next month (october) at the annual book fair in Frankfurt.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Like_to_read

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Another option might be a Tolino ebook-reader, whose firmware is based on Android. (The current firmware uses Android 4.4, I believe.)

Since 2017 all new Tolino ereaders are developed by Kobo, based on existing Kobo devices. Meaning you can now get Tolino branded devices, that have an almost identical hardware as their Kobo counterparts, but with an Android based OS instead of Linux.

So far Tolino has released the "Tolino Shine 3" based on the Kobo Clara HD and the "Tolino Epos" based on the Kobo Aura One.

Another Tolino version (either based on the Kobo Libra H2O or Forma) is expected to be announced next month (october) at the annual book fair in Frankfurt.
That's very good to know - thanks.

How easy is it to sideload Android apps on the Tolino? I would be looking at the larger Epos model.

Have you or others tried using the Kindle app on the Tolino?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2019, 03:44 AM   #13
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is not the easiest option, since you first have to root / unlock the device. (Which can be tricky, especially with the latest firmware.)

Actually looking back on it now, I should not have recommended this...

If you want to try Android on an ebook reader, the best option at the moment are the devices from Likebook or Onyx. They run an already opened Android version (6.0) and have much more powerfull hardware.

Take a look at the Likebook Mars or the Likebook Muses.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
Like_to_read

That's very good to know.

Would you recommend Likebook or Onyx? I had looked at them earlier but was concerned by the lack of info on the company making them.

There are a couple of postings in the Onyx forum which talk about how there are two versions - Russian and Chinese and it's not clear why there are 2 different source codes.

Have you looked at the privacy and security issues with using a devices made by LikeBook or Onyx?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
It is not the easiest option, since you first have to root / unlock the device. (Which can be tricky, especially with the latest firmware.)

Actually looking back on it now, I should not have recommended this...

If you want to try Android on an ebook reader, the best option at the moment are the devices from Likebook or Onyx. They run an already opened Android version (6.0) and have much more powerfull hardware.

Take a look at the Likebook Mars or the Likebook Muses.