Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
taratears
Connoisseur
taratears began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Can't connect wireless or to content server

I can't connect to either the server or wirelessly. Calibre says its started, but Companion can't connect and the tablets wireless is working fine. everything is current and updated.
taratears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
major4579
major4579 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
I'm experiencing the same thing. Last connection was before 2/9/20. Since then CC cannot locate or connect to Calibre. Before than it worked fine for years.

I'm still running Windows 7 and Calibre 3.48
And CC 5.4.3.3(391) on my old Android

Connection IP address and ports are consistent between the 2 and I have no problem accessing the internet from either.

Help,
John
major4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
well the CC android app has not changed for ~18 months, so its unlikely to be that - unless an android system upgrade has affected it ( unlikely ).
in both cases : can the tablet see calibre via a browser ?
have you added anything else to the android tablet that could be acting as a VPN, or a firewall, or a filter ?
My connection: same version of CC android -> latest calibre content server (w10) works fine as at 2 mins ago, so it's not some new global problem
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
"sort of" nearly having the same thing happening on various tablets. They do connect after several tries & just thought it was because 2 tablets were using los roms of android 9, then android 10. However, an ereader with the android 4x had the same thing happening.

Have started to wait after opening the case cover to make sure that the wifi was fully engaged; help some. Also the same thing happened on my ipad ios 13.3.1 as well and a tablet with the non-modified android 9.

Had thought it was a problem with the los android wifi changes/updates. But also thought that it is Calibre using the "latest"(?) modules for wifi........

Now thinking the "latest" wifi modules have made changes for "security" reasons which impact usefullness, like nearly all security modifications.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre has WiFi modules?
I don't think so.
Calibre relies on the OS to provide connectivity via the Network..

Look to your Server ends Firewall.

Look at you Device ends WiFi BAND or Network IP
IMHO 'Servers' should be on WIRED network connections. There can be all sorts of additional WiFi access point security settings needed for 'Peer' type connections. (the better quality the network, the tighter the security it provides )

Read the CC FAQ pages about connectivity
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
"sort of" nearly having the same thing happening on various tablets. They do connect after several tries & just thought it was because 2 tablets were using los roms of android 9, then android 10. However, an ereader with the android 4x had the same thing happening.

Have started to wait after opening the case cover to make sure that the wifi was fully engaged; help some. Also the same thing happened on my ipad ios 13.3.1 as well and a tablet with the non-modified android 9.

Had thought it was a problem with the los android wifi changes/updates. But also thought that it is Calibre using the "latest"(?) modules for wifi........

Now thinking the "latest" wifi modules have made changes for "security" reasons which impact usefullness, like nearly all security modifications.
Two things wrong with blaming "latest" calibre.
1. one of the complainers is still on calibre v3.48
2. latest calibre 4.11.2 is working fine with CC for me ( android 9 on Huawei, and PC with all the latest windows10 updates also)

so do some tests guys, which take calibre out of the loop, and then some which take CC out of the loop.
basic stuff like testing if your tablet can see your PC, still, via LAN
can your CC connect to your cloud storage , still....

Last edited by stumped; 02-29-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Two things wrong with blaming "latest" calibre.
1. one of the complainers is still on calibre v3.48
2. latest calibre 4.11.2 is working fine with CC for me ( android 9 on Huawei, and PC with all the latest windows10 updates also)

so do some tests guys, which take calibre out of the loop, and then some which take CC out of the loop.
basic stuff like testing if your tablet can see your PC, still, via LAN
can your CC connect to your cloud storage , still....
Good points.
Since multiple devices are all having this issue, it seems there are networking issues.

With W7 EOL (update) having arrived, one needs to check the SERVER Network (firewall) setting is still PRIVATE. <<<
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 1st time I had a problem with a connection was with my Likebook Mars that was running android 4; none of the other tablets had connection problems; AND Calibre doing 4.10.1(?); no problem with the Calibre 4.9x. None of the other 8 tablets had any problems with connections. I do update the CC library for all tablets at the "same time" frame (i.e. each one after another).

Then came Calibre 4.10 and connection problems with the Nexus 7 running pie & Tab S2 running pie; just thought that the problem was with the wifi module of LOS but connections were still made after several tries but the Mars only needed to turn off/on the wifi.

With 4.11.2, things were better but "had" to use the port for ident of Calibre for the Tab S2 running android 10. Then decided to do the MR library update using the content server; had to do the connection attempt twice.

Firewall setting has not been changed for months; No connection problem with Fire HDX 8.9, Huawei M5 android 8 or Tab S5e or Chromebook. Not all devices have the same issue; and the Mars no longer has an issue. No problems with my lan connections in seeing nor any problem accessing the pc's share partitions. The pc is using win10pro.

No connections issues with the lan devices as in, AVR, blu-ray player, Roku or Nvidia Shield pro. Problem could be one of the win10 updates as ms did me in on one of the "updates" after I got the Mars; that problem was ms killing the usb connection recognition & I was not able to install the 1st Mars firmware update. Found that another person had similar problem with usb connection & decided to check for win10 update & voila, got a new driver update that specifically fixed that usb problem. Wonder if coders are told that their module need to work in connection with other modules & not just working in a standalone mode....

edit: forgot to include that I now 'open' the tablet cover & wait around 10 sec or so & check that the wifi symbols is showing 'full' BEFORE I start CC; done as a just in case that somehow Calibre recognition scan has been slowed down a bit.

Last edited by crane3; 02-29-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: additional info;
Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

some of those issues may be due to you replying on CC to scan for and locate calibre ?
in my case, that has never worked with my router & LAN so I have the calibre content server address and port explicitly entered into CC preferences.
I dunno if CC populates that field anyway after a successful auto scan, or if you manually populating it will help stability.
could be worth a try ?
Old 03-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
crane3
Guru

I added a couple of public domain books to Calibre & decided to update the CC lib as well. NO problem with connections!? However, ms did a cumulative update to win10 yesterday.......

I always left CC's check for Calibre however it is defaulted. Only found that I could set the ip/port for the connection because of looking at the troubleshoot help. Never had a problem with the router/lan with CC wireless connections even with the changes of new routers or that the ssid was not broadcasted previously as my setup.

Perhaps the latest win10 update corrected whatever needed to be corrected; so all is well for now.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:06 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Never had a problem with the router/lan with CC wireless connections even with the changes of new routers or that the ssid was not broadcasted previously as my setup.
auto detect has never worked with virginmedia routers and wired-only library PCs. Always have to set the URL manually , once, on each new device. or if I change the library PC and hence change its local LAN 192.168.0.xxx address. Setting it once is no bid deal- it would take far longer to trouble shoot why auto-detect fails
Old 03-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Two things:
  • There was a regression in the wireless device driver that broke Bonjour (mdns), making one of the two methods CC uses to find calibre not work. I think the regression was a problem if running the Python3 beta. The fix will be in 4.12 (I think).
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by stumped View Post
    auto detect has never worked with virginmedia routers and wired-only library PCs. Always have to set the URL manually , once, on each new device. or if I change the library PC and hence change its local LAN 192.168.0.xxx address. Setting it once is no bid deal- it would take far longer to trouble shoot why auto-detect fails
    Auto detect works fine for me with a Virgin Media Hub 3. The PC running calibre is connected by cable.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Two things:
  • There was a regression in the wireless device driver that broke Bonjour (mdns), making one of the two methods CC uses to find calibre not work. I think the regression was a problem if running the Python3 beta. The fix will be in 4.12 (I think).
  • Auto detect works fine for me with a Virgin Media Hub 3. The PC running calibre is connected by cable.
i think we discussed this briefly ~2 years ago. we got as far as works for you, not for me, left it there.
FWIW, I had probably removed bonjour and never let it back.
I'm ok with setting it up manually
I also have the hub 3, previously, I think I had the same issue with the hub 1 but that's going way back...

Ps I have at least 2 other android apps which rely on seeing a server component on my pc and do do the auto detect thing quite well. Ultimate remote is one, foobar2000 controller is another...

Last edited by stumped; 03-02-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:10 AM   #14
taratears
Connoisseur
taratears began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Thank you for replies, I tried manually inputting the data and got no response, even a failed one.
taratears is offline   Reply With Quote