Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
ThunderTyphoon
ThunderTyphoon began at the beginning.

Device: none
SVP EB701

Does anyone have an opinion of this ereader? I found it on Amazon for $140. I like the specs. Any opinions would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IL...428287&sr=1-52

Last edited by ThunderTyphoon; 04-21-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Link added, sorry I'm on my phone.
ThunderTyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
I've not heard from anyone who actually owns a SVP EB701. My outsider opinion, FWIW: I'd venture into non-mainstream ereaders only for a specific reason or killer specs (which I'm not seeing here). For an ereader, I'd want an E Ink screen, and for a tablet, I'd want wireless. The SVP EB701 misses either way. Also, for a low-end tablet, I'd want as recent of a version of Android as I could get -- can't tell what OS SVP EB701 runs at all.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
sungirlxx01
sungirlxx01 began at the beginning.

Device: SVP EB701
Hello, I actually own one and I love it! I was so overwhelmed by the selection of ebooks. I didn't want one with wireless/internet access - simply one where I could read a book. However, I am glad that I picked this one as my first ebook. I loved the fact that I can read a book and listen to music at the same time.

In addition, I enjoy watching movies and music videos on it. There is a good selection of file formats built into this ebook reader and fonts can be sized easily. Lastly, I enjoy the built-in night light (great for reading under the covers :-)

One disadvantage is the documentation. Although it has a build in user guide, the quick guide that it comes with could be improved.

Overall, it is comparible to the Nook and Kindle. I just love my ebook and would be lost without it.
sungirlxx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Just found these specs. I'm so tempted...

http://www.svpcam.com/ProductDetails...Show=TechSpecs

It reminds me a bit of my JBL, with the slider on the side. Amazon offers it for several prices. The ~$84 seems to be without a case, add ~$30 for the case... I think I can make do without a case...

Later... I decided to get it. My brother gave me a $50 gift certificate to Amazon; it was time to use it

Last edited by DebbyS; 01-25-2012 at 06:46 AM.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Shure the reader is great when it is new but as time goes on most of these non-stnadard readers simply can't hold up as time goes on and they tend to fade fast. Before investing in a Kindle I had two non-standard readers (where a standard reader is defined as either a Kindle, Nook or Kobo) I had a white Pandigital Novel and two Aluratek Libra Pro. Both were great when I first got them but they faded very fast. The Pandigital was stolen after a few months and the two Aluratek's lasted approximatly three months each but were great when they started. I still advise sticking to the three that I called standard readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungirlxx01 View Post
Hello, I actually own one and I love it! I was so overwhelmed by the selection of ebooks. I didn't want one with wireless/internet access - simply one where I could read a book. However, I am glad that I picked this one as my first ebook. I loved the fact that I can read a book and listen to music at the same time.

In addition, I enjoy watching movies and music videos on it. There is a good selection of file formats built into this ebook reader and fonts can be sized easily. Lastly, I enjoy the built-in night light (great for reading under the covers :-)

One disadvantage is the documentation. Although it has a build in user guide, the quick guide that it comes with could be improved.

Overall, it is comparible to the Nook and Kindle. I just love my ebook and would be lost without it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Thanks for the advice, JBCohen, but the standard devices don't give me what I want (a simple reading experience, in color this time) and give me things I don't want--wifi (I don't have it at home, don't want to be radio-waved), cameras (I have a great camera already), and the user can only play in their "garden", with their toys and their rules. I know a lot of people really like i-things and kindles and all that and wish them well! But I'm more the independent type... and I take care of my things so I'm hoping that will add to their longevity.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote