Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
mossfoot
Fuzzy Knight
mossfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-600
Can't connect to Computer???

Howdy. Just got a PRS 600 a month ago and it was working fine, but for some reason last week it simply wouldn't connect/charge to my computer. Here's what I've done:

Using the USB plug, it recognizes the USB is connected, but not matter how long I wait the computer will not connect to the SD cards or internal memory, and the eBook Library can't read it iether. Also, it does not charge. Note that the ebook itself says "USB Connected" with the icon, but that's all.

I've tried this using different USB cords and different USB ports and different computers. No difference in outcome.

I've tried resetting the ebook on several occasions. No difference in outcome.

I've tried removing the SD cards before plugging it in. No difference in outcome.

I've been able to charge the eBook using a regular DC plug, and I can always upload books directly to the SD cards other ways, so I can work around this problem. But I certainly shouldn't have to.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen?
mossfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Not had this happen but have you checked the light on top of the 600.

Does it come on when you plug in the USB - if it is red, it means it should be charging I believe.

I'm sure mine doesn't say on screen it is charging when th USB is plugged in, I just go by the red light.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
mossfoot
Fuzzy Knight

Using the USB, no light. Using the mains plug, yes, it charges normally.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Definite USB problem then and I hope someone can help you get it sorted.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
What's your OS and what version of the eBook Library software are you using? Make sure you've got the latest version of the software from the Sony site (the one on Borders.com is way out of date). If you've got a newer operating system, or a 64-bit operating system, you need the newest software to install the right drivers.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
mossfoot
Fuzzy Knight

I have Windows XP and the latest version of the software (even checked for updates). Keep in mind it WAS working up until a week ago. I was afraid I might have accidentally changed a setting or something, and was looking for a way to check everything that could go wrong given this situation.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
My PRS 600 was like this out of the box. Plug it in, USB icon on the reader, but no red light. A reset did the trick for me, but unfortunately you've tried that.

No amount of fiddling with versions of EBL will help until your PRS 600 is showing the red charging light. Have you tried changing the USB port you use on the PC?

Good luck
amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
mossfoot
Fuzzy Knight

Turns out the problem was the type of USB cords I was using. I made sure the one I was using was a USB 2.0 cord and the connection was fine. I must have been using several older cords? It's the only thing I can think of.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I have the same problem - can only get the red charging light when the device is fully shut down not when it's in standby.. it goes into 'usb mode' and stops charging. This is using dedicated USB chargers - gave up on charging via the PC ages ago.

The problem is after a small time charging it switches itself on, goes into usb mode and stops charging again, so I have to power it off again and start all over again.

You mentioned yours started working after a reset. I can't find a reset on mine.. do you mean format?
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
mossfoot
Fuzzy Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hoyle View Post
You mentioned yours started working after a reset. I can't find a reset on mine.. do you mean format?

Reset button on the 600 is on the bottom of the device, a tiny hole you can stick the tip if your stylus into.