Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Wanting to keep a running count of Readers in the field.
I have a Reader! 375 97.66%
I don't have a Reader, but I want to see the Results 9 2.34%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #91
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Got mine at the end of November from a Borders store, but haven't had much time to play around with it other than read a bit until now...
Old 12-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #92
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
OK, just went down to Boarders and bought one (charging as we speak).

I was interested when I first read about it but then discarded the idea because:

1) I thought only work with memory sticks. Everything else I own takes SD cards and after living through the SmartMedia disaster, I'm not about to go with another format. Especially one from Sony.

2) It wasn't clear to me that I could use it to read other formats -- I have a bunch of books from Baen and others that I bought or downloaded for my Garmin iQue and I would want to read them on any new device. I also didn't want to be tied to Sony, because from the blurb I read it sounded like you could only get content from Sony.

After reading here I realized that these weren't true.

The big test will be next month when I make a trip to London (lots of reading time )
Advert
Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #93
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
And add me to the list...

Got mine last night for my birthday today. After using a bit of my $50 credit, playing with it, and wondering what communities exist for owners, I arrived here and started reading. Sadly (or fortunately?), I have most likely spent more time browsing the MobileRead forums than on my new Reader.

As I read about what everyone else has already figured out, I have progressively been adding more and more content (old ebooks, etc.), have discovered many useful apps, and have learned a lot about ebooks in general, in addition to the Sony Reader.

Rest assured, my Reader has not been neglected, and the more I play with and read about it, the more excited I get about what is now, without a doubt, the coolest gadget I own.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #94
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Wulf
And add me to the list...
I arrived here and started reading. Sadly (or fortunately?), I have most likely spent more time browsing the MobileRead forums than on my new Reader.
That is what I have been doing, end up spending more time online still than reading.... plus now I am trying to figure out how I found this forum... maybe it was listed in the instructions? I just don't remember LOL..
Old 12-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
OK, just went down to Boarders and bought one (charging as we speak).

1) I thought only work with memory sticks. Everything else I own takes SD cards and after living through the SmartMedia disaster, I'm not about to go with another format. Especially one from Sony.
To be honest, you really don't need a memory card at all. Reader compresses books in main memory, and in the 90-odd MB of main memory you can store several hundred books. The "flat" file system is such that you really won't want more than that on it, anyway, I promise you . The only real reason for using a memory card would be if you were a non PC-user, and had to load content directly onto the card, rather than using the Connect software, or if you want to put MP3 files onto the Reader, but I really wouldn't recommend using it as an MP3 player.

Quote:
2) It wasn't clear to me that I could use it to read other formats -- I have a bunch of books from Baen and others that I bought or downloaded for my Garmin iQue and I would want to read them on any new device. I also didn't want to be tied to Sony, because from the blurb I read it sounded like you could only get content from Sony.
You're right - the web site is very confusing - last time I looked at it it said that Sony "Supplied software to convert other formats to the Sony e-Book format" or some such nonsense. The situation, as you know, is that the Reader handles formats such as text, RTF, and PDF "natively". There's no conversion.

Congratulations on buying a Reader - I don't think you'll regret it!
Advert
Old 12-31-2006, 02:59 AM   #96
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
To be honest, you really don't need a memory card at all. Reader compresses books in main memory, and in the 90-odd MB of main memory you can store several hundred books. The "flat" file system is such that you really won't want more than that on it, anyway, I promise you . The only real reason for using a memory card would be if you were a non PC-user, and had to load content directly onto the card, rather than using the Connect software, or if you want to put MP3 files onto the Reader, but I really wouldn't recommend using it as an MP3 player.
Actually, I was talking about the Reader with my boss and while discussing how many books could be loaded, etc. He pointed the same thing out. My response was setting up collections to keep things organized. I have yet to try this out, but it may be a reasonable way to keep a fairly large collection.

You also forget one genre which could really use the extra storage--manga and graphic novels (being 10+ megs typically).

As an aside, check out page 80 in the owner's manual (both the PDF and the one actually on my Reader show this...), user available memory is written in at approximately 64megs. Maybe they changed their mind pre-production?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
You're right - the web site is very confusing - last time I looked at it it said that Sony "Supplied software to convert other formats to the Sony e-Book format" or some such nonsense. The situation, as you know, is that the Reader handles formats such as text, RTF, and PDF "natively". There's no conversion.

Congratulations on buying a Reader - I don't think you'll regret it!
Well, technically Connect Reader can convert MS Word (DOC) files to RTF for reading. That still really doesn't qualify in my mind as "converting other formats"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
That is what I have been doing, end up spending more time online still than reading.... plus now I am trying to figure out how I found this forum... maybe it was listed in the instructions? I just don't remember LOL..
Haha, I actually found this place earlier in the day prior to purchase. I was trying to find out what the actual users were saying about the Reader. Of course, once I bought mine, this is where I returned.

I worked earlier today, and upon returning home I decided I was going to get intimate with Book Designer--the learning curve is a bit steep (well, maybe it would have been better if I actually read the help pages). I must say, I'm impressed. It's a bit rough edges here and there, but for a free product (thanks VVV!) doing such a specialized job, it really is tremendously useful.

Ok, I'm now way off topic, so I'll stop here and lurk around in some other posts.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #97
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Viewed for a while. Picked up a Sony yesterday. Joined here today.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #98
lumi
lumi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
*waves*

I got mine for christmas and have barely put it down since - needless to say, I'm very pleased.

I actually found these forums back in november when I first heard about the reader and was looking for reviews. There's so much useful info here! So anyway, I thought I'd join in the discussions.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 AM   #99
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
X-mas gift

Almost done with my first book, Eragon, moving onto Eldest next, most likely.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #100
VP_
VP_ began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100, Sony PRS-500, Eten G500+
We're 260
#260 - It`s me
Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #101
hobbyistx
hobbyistx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
eReader here in Philly! (Already pushed my pin in on the map, too!)

LOVE it!

Any good sources for books out there besides sony.connect?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #102
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Baen,manybooks.net , Project Gutenberg, and a whole bunch more.

Basically, if it's in RTF or can be converted to RTF, or is in LRF, you're good to go.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #103
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
# 269 here.

I've had my Reader less than a week and I'm halfway through one book almost finished with another and sorely disappointed in the handling of .pdf's.

All around though, I love the thing and I see great strides going on here in the development forums with regards to overcoming some of the deficiencies in the sony softwares handling of .pdf's. I'm looking forward to firmware version 2.0 (whether its sony provided or community provided) and all the new features there in.

Aerlock
Old 02-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #104
mikem
mikem began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500

After reading the reviews and feedback here I got mine shipped over from the US for my birthday - there wasn't a chance of buying one in Ireland. I was a tad worried that the display wouldn't be as good as people said. Its a pity Sony Conect is only for US residents.

I've been keeping my eye on e-ink tech for the last few years. I've really wanted a proper ebook reader for a long while. PDA just wasn't cutting it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 AM   #105
rhosey
rhosey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Love it!

I picked up my Sony Reader at Borders right after Christmas. I love it!

This site has been a great help already.

Disappointed in the pdf support - God bless PDFrasterFarian
Closed Thread