Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
vlmEmis
vlmEmis began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kindle for Windows
Capture downloaded Kindle books to disk

Greetings! This is my first mobileread post, so I hope I'm posting in a reasonable location for my topic.

As an experiment, I bought my first 3 Kindle books. But I don't own any Kindle devices, and I don't wish to be bound to the Kindle reading app. Is there a way for Calibre to find and recognize my 3 downloaded Kindle books, so that I can capture the files on disk and then convert them to another format?

Editing this post ... Okay, I just found a folder called "My Kindle Content". This folder appears to contain all my books. For each book I purchased, there are files with the extensions apnx. azw, mbp, and phl. For the three books they gave me, there is no .phl file. (That last character appears to be an "L".)

Thank you!

Last edited by vlmEmis; 08-17-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Found updated information - some file locations
vlmEmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, you can import the books directly from there. You want the *.azw -- the other files are page numbers (apnx) annotations/bookmarks/highlights (mbp) and popular highlights (phl), and calibre cannot make use of any of them.

Always make sure you install the win32 (Windows 7-compatible) desktop application, not the Metro app (this is relevant if you ever change computers).

You will probably want to take a look at http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com if you are buying books with DRM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
vlmEmis
vlmEmis began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kindle for Windows
Capture downloaded Kindle books to disk

Thank you eschwartz!

I installed the plugin, worked through a minor glitch, and voila! I have Kindle books as perfect PDF, eBook, etc. files. For the first time, I feel comfortable investing in Kindle books, because I won't be tethered to Amazon's readers ... or to their nifty data collection schemes.

Thank you!
vlmEmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Happy to help!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote