Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
merlinsilk
merlinsilk began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, android
Upgrade to 3.6 from 2.x breaks book serving

Hi,
My world was good with my old 2.x version of Calibre. I added my new books, put them in virtual libraries, tagged them and then connected to the Calibre server with an iPad running Aldiko. I could see my tags and virtual libraries and was able to find my books by tags and the virtual library they were in.
Yesterday I realized how far behind I was with my version of Calibre and updated to 3.6 - and had problems getting new books on my iPad.
I found the /opds after the server URL and at least my Catalog display in Aldiko did not crash anymore and I could get my books from the server.
But I don't see an option to select virtual libraries any longer and when I display my books by tag I only see 30 tags and my tag 'new' is number 50 (or so) and I can't select it.
Is there a solution to this:
- a way to show virtual libraries and
- to show all tags (this might be a limitation of Aldiko, but it does that on iOS and Android)

Thanks for any help you could give me.
Cheers,
Merlin

Last edited by merlinsilk; 08-17-2017 at 09:37 PM.
merlinsilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the proper forum, which would be calibre since this question involves....calibre.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsilk View Post
Hi,
Is there a solution to this:
- a way to show virtual libraries and
To my knowledge the calibre OPDS server has never shown virtual libraries. However, the V2 calibre server could be set up to show books from one virtual library per port, a function that perhaps you used. The new server can do something similar but it requires that you use usernames and passwords be set up in calibre / Preferences / Sharing over the net / User accounts. Each username can be restricted to show only books that match a given search, which in your case would be the search used for the virtual library or libraries.

Another option is to create a custom column "built from other columns, behaves like tags", check the "show in tag browser box, and set the template to {:'virtual_libraries()'}. This column will appear on the list of columns. If Aldiko gives you a way to select books using those values then you can select virtual libraries. If aldiko can show you calibre's custom columns then you can see which libraries contain a book. This option can slow down calibre in very large libraries (several thousand books)

A third option is to use the plugin Save Virtual Libraries To Column (GUI), which can save which virtual libraries containing a book to a text/tags-like custom column. As before, aldiko must support selecting and showing custom columns.
Quote:
- to show all tags (this might be a limitation of Aldiko, but it does that on iOS and Android)
This is aldiko not being able to page the results returned by calibre. To get around this, tell calibre to return more results per page. See calibre / Preferences / Sharing over the net / Advanced tab / Maximum number of books in OPDS feeds. Set it to some number larger than the number of tags you have.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
merlinsilk

Perfect!
Thank you so much for that info.
I tried to go with a user that's restricted to a virtual library, but so far I was not able to find a search to select a virtual library. For now, I restrict the user to the tag 'new'.
I did not find how I could select a user in Aldiko - is that possible at all?
Increasing the number of books in the OPDS feed was a real lifesaver.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsilk View Post
I tried to go with a user that's restricted to a virtual library, but so far I was not able to find a search to select a virtual library. For now, I restrict the user to the tag 'new'.
Copy the search from the virtual library setup. Alternatively, and better, use the same saved search for both the virtual library and the content server.
Quote:
I did not find how I could select a user in Aldiko - is that possible at all?
No idea. I don't use Aldiko.

It should ask for a username and password when you connect. If it never asks again then I would expect to find "somewhere" a way to make it "forget" that information.
Quote:
Increasing the number of books in the OPDS feed was a real lifesaver.
Good.
Advert
Old 08-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Try using the normal URL method for a user (I haven't tried this, but it ought to work)

Code:
http://username:password@yourserveraddress:8080/
(Caveats: It is not sent in plain text, it's encoded albeit only barely, and will show up in the server's logs.)
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
merlinsilk

Thank you so much!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:53 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Copy the search from the virtual library setup. Alternatively, and better, use the same saved search for both the virtual library and the content server.
Starting with the next release of calibre (V3.7), the search "vl:"virtual library name" will find all books in that virtual library. You can use that search in the content server user setup to limit that user to a virtual library. This is easier than setting up saved searches, and is less likely to become obsolete than copying the search from the virtual library setup.

FWIW: you also will be able to use the vl: prefix in calibre's search bar. For example, if you want to find all books that are not in some virtual library, use
Code:
not vl:"some library"
If you want to see books that are in two virtual librarys, use
Code:
vl:library1 and vl:library2

Tags
aldiko, ipad, server