Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #196
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Anyway, I'm really interested to the templates that you mention...
Okay, I will upload a bunch of templates over the next days. The first round is some mixed-material templates (but I will also upload linen and leather templates).

These templates however are combinations from stuff like tissue, paper, crinkeld paper, wood, asphalt, slate etc. I use this templates sometimes to overlay them (or try other modes) on linen or leather templates to get a new effect.

If you want to change the colors, you can do that very easy with PIXLR which you can find here.
Two ways to do that is:
1. You can adjust the color-settings (Change Color01 and 01a),
2. Or you can adjust the color balance (Change Color02 and 02a).

Try if you want to change the colors

Mini
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Color01.png
Views:	767
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	126427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Color01a.png
Views:	758
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	126428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Colors02.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	126429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Colors02a.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	126430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template01.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	126431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template02.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	126433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template03.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	126435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template04.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	126437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template05.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	126439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template06.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	126441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template07.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	126443  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Template01.zip (5.60 MB, 684 views)
File Type: zip Template02.zip (7.59 MB, 698 views)
File Type: zip Template03.zip (7.39 MB, 712 views)
File Type: zip Template04.zip (6.55 MB, 732 views)
File Type: zip Template05.zip (6.41 MB, 683 views)
File Type: zip Template06.zip (5.05 MB, 685 views)
File Type: zip Template07.zip (6.08 MB, 698 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 08-06-2014 at 04:24 PM.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #197
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
... AND some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Template08.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	126445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template09.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	126447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template10.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	126449  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Template08.zip (5.90 MB, 753 views)
File Type: zip Template09.zip (5.89 MB, 728 views)
File Type: zip Template10.zip (6.04 MB, 638 views)
Advert
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #198
MikeKReader
MikeKReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
(I hope this isn't a double post. I guess I got logged out before I hit send)

Is there a way to replace the default Calibre "Bookshelf" template for the "Generate Cover" function? I'd like to generate the title and author overlay onto, say, a 50's style "True Crime" pulp magazine template, or a pulp Science Fiction template, or something more SteamPunkish, etc.

What would be even nicer would have "Generate Cover" offer a pick-list of templates that I've placed in some specific directory.
MikeKReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #199
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MikeKReader - To replace the 'bookshelf' image put the image you want in <configuration>\resources\images\library.png, where <configuration> is the location under the Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory button

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #200
MikeKReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@MikeKReader - To replace the 'bookshelf' image put the image you want in <configuration>\resources\images\library.png, where <configuration> is the location under the Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory button

BR
Thanks, but no luck.
At <configuration> I have 5 directories; conversion, fonts, metadata_sources, plugins and store. (plus 8 files, none of them .png files, and no.png files in the 5 directories)

The only files I can read are the .json files and there "Library" refers to the location of the epub files
Advert
Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #201
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKReader View Post
Thanks, but no luck.
At <configuration> I have 5 directories; conversion, fonts, metadata_sources, plugins and store. (plus 8 files, none of them .png files, and no.png files in the 5 directories)

The only files I can read are the .json files and there "Library" refers to the location of the epub files
@MikeKReader - sorry, I should have provide this link ==>> Customizing calibre

You'll need to create the resources\images\ folders.

If you look in the install directory you'll see a 'resources' folder, essentially you can override anything in that folder and its subfolders by mirroring it in the configuration 'resources' folder. Don't change what's in the <install>/resources folder (it'll get overwritten when an upgrade is installed), copy it to the <config>/resources folder and change it there.

BR
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #202
MikeKReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@MikeKReader - sorry, I should have provide this link ==>> Customizing calibre

You'll need to create the resources\images\ folders.

If you look in the install directory you'll see a 'resources' folder, essentially you can override anything in that folder and its subfolders by mirroring it in the configuration 'resources' folder. Don't change what's in the <install>/resources folder (it'll get overwritten when an upgrade is installed), copy it to the <config>/resources folder and change it there.

BR
Thank You!
That did it. I still have some work to do to fine tune it, like find the right size for the .png (the image is centred between the title & author on top and the "Calibre 1.47.9" on the bottom) and then get down to cases to design some suitable cover templates (I just grabbed a Pulp-O-Mizer cover of mine to test it)(Google Pulp-O-Mizer. It's fun. Well it is if you like pulp magazine covers and science fiction)

I can still use Pulp-O-Mizer (or even Photoshop, for that matter) to generate covers for specific books I want to keep, but most of the time, once I finish a book I delete it. This will just make it look a little nicer when I display all my books. Much as the default "Bookshelf" template looks so much better than the "generic e-reader device" image, without title and author displayed.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #203
MikeKReader

Found the Cover Generator Plugin and that does what I want.
Now I still have to find and tune several images to use and put them all in that ..../resources/images directory. (The plugin lets me use images from anywhere, but having my "generic" ones in that directory makes sense to me.)

OOPS! Forgot where I was. There are several good templates in backpages of this thread!

Anyone wants, go ahead and use this image of my urn. You'll need to fine tune it as it doesn't scale properly. Probably just adjust the Height and Width and resave

Name:	XPCBBAFC59D334F944A2D8EA6B23E9738F126.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	126530

Last edited by MikeKReader; 08-08-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Forgot what thread I was in
Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #204
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKReader View Post
Google Pulp-O-Mizer. It's fun. Well it is if you like pulp magazine covers and science fiction.

I googled Pulp-O-Mizer because I really wanted to know what that is. Never, ever heard of it before. Interesting magazines, like the pictures! Though I'm not a sifi reader - besides of Stargate fanfiction that is

Mini
Old 08-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #205
MiniMouse
Groupie

Next round of templates!

These are all leather covers with something extra like asphalt, concrete etc.

Hope you like them and can use them

Mini

P.S. And for all who are new to this thread or loosing the overview, look for links to all covers, textures, tutorials, zips for the Generate Cover Plugin etc. in the first post!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Template11.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	126598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template12.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	126600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template13.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	126602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template14.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	126604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template15.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	126607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template16.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	126608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template17.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	126610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template18.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	126612  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Template11.zip (4.31 MB, 748 views)
File Type: zip Template12.zip (3.65 MB, 757 views)
File Type: zip Template13.zip (3.86 MB, 834 views)
File Type: zip Template14.zip (2.71 MB, 873 views)
File Type: zip Template15.zip (5.90 MB, 732 views)
File Type: zip Template16.zip (3.30 MB, 845 views)
File Type: zip Template17.zip (6.09 MB, 796 views)
File Type: zip Template18.zip (6.29 MB, 786 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 08-09-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #206
MiniMouse
Groupie

Hello again,

here is my last round of templates. They are all linen covers with a bit extra

What do you think?

Mini

P.S. And for all who are new to this thread or loosing the overview, look for links to all covers, textures, tutorials, zips for the Generate Cover Plugin etc. in the first post!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Template19.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	126861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template20.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	126863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template21.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	126865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template22.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	126867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template23.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	126869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template24.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	126871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Template25.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	126873  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Template19.zip (3.73 MB, 745 views)
File Type: zip Template20.zip (3.90 MB, 771 views)
File Type: zip Template21.zip (3.21 MB, 848 views)
File Type: zip Template22.zip (4.72 MB, 782 views)
File Type: zip Template23.zip (5.54 MB, 706 views)
File Type: zip Template24.zip (5.58 MB, 735 views)
File Type: zip Template25.zip (5.18 MB, 764 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #207
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I'm searching for the source of these Calibre 0.8.31 generated covers. There seems to be a whole series of them made up of what looks like old black & white book illustrations. If I cant find the source I'll try and extract them all and clean them up but thought I'd see if they're available anywhere first.

Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #208
MiniMouse
Groupie

I came along an old leather briefcase and thought I make a cover out of it

Covers 14 to 15 are made from a photo of my leather boot.

Since I had no time I recycled one of my ornaments for Cover 15a and put it on (yes, I already posted that ornament but I thought it looked great on that leather so I used it again).

@Vortex: Sadly I have no idea. I hope that some of the others can give you an answer.

I wish you all a merry christmas
and a happy new year

Mini
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leather Cover 11.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	132843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather Cover 12.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	132844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather Cover 13.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	132845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather Cover 14.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	132846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather Cover 15.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	132847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather Cover 15a.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	132849  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Leather Cover 11.zip (3.08 MB, 746 views)
File Type: zip Leather Cover 12.zip (4.37 MB, 704 views)
File Type: zip Leather Cover 13.zip (3.84 MB, 808 views)
File Type: zip Leather Cover 14.zip (6.13 MB, 804 views)
File Type: zip Leather Cover 15.zip (4.96 MB, 812 views)
File Type: zip Leather Cover 15a.zip (5.82 MB, 712 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 12-23-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #209
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post
I came along an old leather briefcase and thought I make a cover out of it

Covers 14 to 15 are made from a photo of my leather boot
:lol: I shall treasure those ones especially - 'Mini's foot was here'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post
I wish you all a merry christmas
and a happy new year

Mini
to you on the xmas greetz

BR
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #210
sam007
sam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watchsam007 is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Hello!

I have recently started keeping fanfic library and wanted to generate some nice covers, so I made myself some textures with ordinary GIMP tools and retouched promo (and similar ) content and am mixing them.

Would it be okay to post some of those here? What I mean would someone want them?
Textures are usually without borders/book_edge and I like more 'vivid' colours/contrast- y pictures?

I'm adding some type of textures I made.
Please comment & criticize.

If somebody is interested in the non-generic fanfic covers I made here is few examples.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	740.6 KB
ID:	134633   Click image for larger version

Name:	54.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	134634   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	743