Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #2206
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Are most audiobook memoirs are read by the author?
I've listened to a few memoirs read by the author and a few other (only non-fiction) books as well. I have to say that in each case I thought the author ill-served by the narrator. At this point, I'd have to be really motivated to listen to a book if it were read by the author; it's an automatic turn-off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #2207
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've listened to a few memoirs read by the author and a few other (only non-fiction) books as well. I have to say that in each case I thought the author ill-served by the narrator. At this point, I'd have to be really motivated to listen to a book if it were read by the author; it's an automatic turn-off.
I guess I've been very fortunate.
The Stephen Hawking-read lectures aside, "Read by the Author" is still something that I tend to look for because of some great past experiences, with fiction and non-fiction both.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #2208
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Most are NOT read by the author. The general rule is that authors should stick to authoring, and let narration be performed by professionals. That being said, there are exceptions, obviously.
I agree, there are very few exceptions to that rule. IMHO the exceptions include Bill Bryson, Stephen King and Stephen Fry. All of them add something unique that a third party narrator can't.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #2209
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I agree, there are very few exceptions to that rule. IMHO the exceptions include Bill Bryson, Stephen King and Stephen Fry. All of them add something unique that a third party narrator can't.
Bryson's on my never again list. Unique, yes. Thank God!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #2210
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I listened to this the day it came out. I thought Comey showed himself to be an excellent writer, and I was also quite impressed by his reading even though I am usually wary of author narrations.

I might as well go on and say I found Comey to be thoughtful, courageous, and committed to truth over his years of public service. I now have a much better understanding of his pre-election decisions and cannot fault him for them, despite unpalatable consequences.

Also, while the publicity emphasizes the Trump-related portion of the book, that's only the last few chapters. The rest of the book takes us through earlier parts of Comey's life and career, and illuminates the principles that guided him.
This one of those books where people of a particular political persuasion give it a 5 and those of a different political persuasion give it a 1 (mostly because you can't give it a 0).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #2211
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
This one of those books where people of a particular political persuasion give it a 5 and those of a different political persuasion give it a 1 (mostly because you can't give it a 0).
There's enough in the book for Comey to be a target of vitriol on both sides. He is relating his experiences and his decision-making process, and not trying to hit people over the head to make them believe one thing or another. One of the things he talks about is how political considerations should not be allowed to dictate investigations and pervert justice. Apparently both sides need to learn this.

Beyond that, it's a well-written book. Comey has a knack for choosing the right words to convey a precise description and paint a picture. The writing isn't clumsy or overly pedantic; you don't feel that the guy was sitting there with a thesaurus so as to appear erudite.

It's a good book. For anyone who's a political junkie, it's definitely a must-read.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #2212
DuncanMacLeod
Author
DuncanMacLeod began at the beginning.

Device: Overdrive for iPhone
Comedians self-narrate well

Quote:
Although I have heard some real stinkers, I have been very lucky to listen to author-read books on tape that were very well-served by the narration. Neil Gaiman has a great voice. Comedians usually do a good job with their autobiographies. I thought Amy Schumer was pretty funny. The hands down, absolute best self-narrated book I ever heard was “Hiding My Candy” read by The Lady Chablis. Sadly, it’s out of print and only available as a cassette. I nearly crashed my car from laughing fits.
DuncanMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #2213
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bryson's on my never again list. Unique, yes. Thank God!
Oh? Why is that, if I may be so bold?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #2214
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Oh? Why is that, if I may be so bold?
I was kidding, but in truth I detested Bryson's reading the one time I tried him, for One Summer. I said this at the time in my Goodreads review:

Quote:
Bryson is awful, that prissy, affected voice with weird intonations and the hybrid Midwest/Brit accent.
That was three years ago and it's an impression that's lingered; when I saw your question my thought was, "that prissy and affected voice and trans-Atlantic accent" before I looked at Goodreads.

Bryson's a narrator who gets widely divergent reactions on the love/hate spectrum. I can think of only Scott Brick as engendering similarly disparate responses.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #2215
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I was kidding, but in truth I detested Bryson's reading the one time I tried him, for One Summer. I said this at the time in my Goodreads review:

That was three years ago and it's an impression that's lingered; when I saw your question my thought was, "that prissy and affected voice and trans-Atlantic accent" before I looked at Goodreads.

Bryson's a narrator who gets widely divergent reactions on the love/hate spectrum. I can think of only Scott Brick as engendering similarly disparate responses.
I've not listened to One Summer but I really enjoyed his narration for Notes from a Small Island and A Walk in the Woods. In fact, I've got to the point where I'm disappointed if he's not reading his own work. I guess it's what in the UK we call a Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it. Not sure you have Marmite in the USA?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #2216
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
They don't do marmite in the U.S. And I confess I've had mixed results with Bryson's readings. I liked Walk, but didn't like another one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #2217
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They don't do marmite in the U.S. And I confess I've had mixed results with Bryson's readings. I liked Walk, but didn't like another one.
Simon Winchester may be the author who reads his own books that I like the most. I think that his voice just is a perfect match for his books. He's coming out with a new book in a couple of weeks. I probably wouldn't have noticed if not for this thread.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #2218
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just finished up The King Beyond the Gate, David Gemmell's 2nd Drenai book. Very good book. I do like the reader.

Next up is Tamora Pierce's latest, Tempests and Slaughter: The Numair Chronicles.

I generally like to alternate book styles to keep from getting burned out.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #2219
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

In pursuit of my long-term to read all of Wodehouse in more-or-less chronological order, I'm listening to Ukridge, read by Jonathan Cecil. Frederick Davidson has narrated most of my Wodehouse listens and I prefer him, but the reality is that I find myself listening to Davidson so frequently that I fear he'll stale on me, even though he's one of my top three narrators. And Cecil's not bad, except... he mispronounces "Featherstonehaugh." Really, everyone knows that one.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #2220
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just finished up Tempests and Slaughter: The Numair Chronicles Book 1 by Tamora Pierce. This wasn't quite as good, IMPO, as many of her books. It was ok, but audiobooks do tend to bring out the issues in a book simply because you can't go into scan mode. I don't know if she is trying to shift to a new target audience or not. It wasn't bad, but probably not a book that I'm going to re-read or listen to again.

Started on Insurrection by David Weber, the last of the Stars at War books.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations