Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But from stock, the T80 is rubbish.

How well does Moon+ Reader Pro respect the CSS? Is it 100% respectful?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #197
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But from stock, the T80 is rubbish.
Rubbish, possibly if you had no idea what you expected when you purchased it. I see nowhere on their web site where they say they support DRM. Yet you can use the Google Play Books app, Amazon Kindle app or Overdrive app to read books that come with DRM. I remove all DRM prior to reading any book on my device so DRM was not a concern of mine.

I used the stock launcher for a time and it was adequate, but not as flexible as I would like so I switched. That is the point of an Android device to be able to set it up the way you want it set up. The stock device comes with Google Play Store and access to a world of apps. I chose to take advantage of the options the stock device provided me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How well does Moon+ Reader Pro respect the CSS? Is it 100% respectful?
I have no idea, it looks fine to me, but you need someone who shares your attention to detail for a legit response.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #198
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I was curious so I left my T80s in standby (not shutting down after 120 minutes as I had previously had it set). For some reason it did drop in power about 4% in the first 5 hours after I stopped using it. Then over the next 12 hours it didn't drop in power at all. As I mentioned in previous posts I usually leave Bluetooth and wireless turned off. I only turn them on when I require them.

Just so people curious will have an idea of the apps I run. Here is the list of Apps I regularly use on my T80s ereader.

ReLaunchX (2.1.2) - file manager and launcher for e-Ink (I granted root permissions)
Moon+ Reader Pro - ebook reader
ColorDict - Dictionary
Calibre Companion - ebook manager used to transfer books from Calibre on my PC wirelessly to the device. Launch books in Moon+ Reader Pro. Copy ebook cover image to pictures directory.
Images - Use it to set the cover image of the current book I'm reading as the Standby image.
File Manager HD - by Cheeta Mobile, file management (I granted root permissions)
Battery HD - Tracking battery use.
DropBox - Allows Calibre Companion to connect to my Dropbox and download books from my Calibre library.
Keep - Google's simple note app. I used it for short notes, store lists, reminders etc...
Play Store - To install and update apps.
Conversion - Converts various measures lbs - oz - kg, temp F - C, etc...
Settings - Device settings
Settings - Android settings
UC Browser - For the rare times I have a need to navigate the web from the reader. As a rule I usually navigate the web on my PC or tablet.

After I rooted this device I used the following programs

SuperSU - To manage root permissions for apps.
Xposed Installer - used this to run GravityBox.
GravityBox - used to add the following functionality.
  • Long press of Home icon brings up recent app list to allow me to switch apps or swipe them away.
  • Long press on Back icon brings up volume control, desirable because there are no physical volume keys.
  • Double click bottom physical Home button to take screen shots.
Backup - No backup app installed yet, any suggestions?
Do you mean backing up apps with data? Titanium Backup is best for that. I used it on my T62D and if it works there it will work anywhere. There were a few screens that had the black on black problem with the text, but I just looked on my phone to see what was what. I haven't rooted yet, so I don't know if would have different problems.

If you mean regular data I use Dropsync on my other devices. I can try on my T80s if you want.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #199
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Certainly folks can order whatever they wish, but your comment has nothing to do with the specific ereader discussed in this thread, which is the T80s.
My comment was a direct response to OP's question.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #200
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
My comment was a direct response to OP's question.
It's been 6 months since the original post, I forgot the question. Your comment was great in that regard.

It also got me thinking if I could leave my device in standby or continue to have it shutdown automatically after 2 hours. I decided I could leave it in standby if I wanted. One thing prevents me doing this, I want the shutdown screen to show in case I leave my device somewhere as the shutdown screen contains my name and number if the device is misplaced.
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #201
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
It's been 6 months since the original post, I forgot the question. Your comment was great in that regard.

It also got me thinking if I could leave my device in standby or continue to have it shutdown automatically after 2 hours. I decided I could leave it in standby if I wanted. One thing prevents me doing this, I want the shutdown screen to show in case I leave my device somewhere as the shutdown screen contains my name and number if the device is misplaced.
If there is plenty of time before your reading sessions like in my case (I read mainly in the morning and evening) and you turn it off everytime, the battery life is pretty good. Specially if you have everything off (Wifi, Bluetooth, backlight...) and install apps to help you safe battery. In my case Greenify Pro, All-In-One Toolbox and HEBF Optimizer.

At the beginning, being used to leave my previous readers (Sony PRSs) in standby, having to turn it off was quite annoying. But once I got used to it and having to wait for 30 seconds (instead of 3) to continue my reading, it's just fine.

Last edited by colibris79; 03-23-2018 at 11:03 PM.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #202
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Do you mean backing up apps with data? Titanium Backup is best for that. I used it on my T62D and if it works there it will work anywhere.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
If there is plenty of time before your reading sessions like in my case (I read mainly in the morning and evening) and you turn it off everytime
Agreed. It's easy since there is a setting to shutdown after x minutes of inactivity.

Quote:
the battery life is pretty good. Specially if you have everything off (Wifi, Bluetooth, backlight...) and install apps to help you safe battery. In my case Greenify Pro, All-In-One Toolbox and HEBF Optimizer).
With my setup I don't see any need for any apps to save battery life, but other setups may vary.

Quote:
At the beginning, being used to leave my previous readers (Sony PRSs) in standby, having to turn it off was quite annoying.
I agree, but since I can set it to automatically shutdown at least I don't have to worry about remembering it. If someone wants to leave it in standby, as long as they have wifi, bluetooth and notifications turned off, there doesn't seem to be any constant battery drain in standby.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #203
tmn
tmn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, lifebook
UC Browser have two button virtual in screen, like
tmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #204
anatoly314
anatoly314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.4.4.2
Built-in dictionary supports Stardict dictionaries, at least they are indexed and shown in the dictionary and from inside built-in reader. The only issue that all translations shown with markdown. Bottom line, I wouldn't buy this eReader second time. If you don't want to waste your time searching on the internet how to do this or that buy something more user-friendly.

To add Stardict dictionaries, create "dict" folder in the root and place here dictionaries.
anatoly314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #205
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarrr View Post
Can it be flashed with BOYUE's firmware? (It's easier for me to by tl708)
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #206
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 & iPad Mini 5
Thanks!

I found this thread tremendously helpful when deciding on a new eReader.

I am a little disappointed that the various bookstores don’t have 3rd party apps better suited to e-ink. Kindle comes close with Kindle Lite but it requires Android 4.4. Which begs the question: why are nearly all these type devices running such outdated OSes? Granted, the need may not be there but Android 4.2.2 is on the verge of being cut off from Google’s official App Store. Seems silly from a security and app availability standpoint.

I’m pretty simple so I find the included software reasonable. I tweaked fbReader to more resemble the native nook app’s typeface. And I love WiFi Delay... once I figured out what it did. I downloaded the ICARUS Illumina XL manual for reference. I used AlReader on my previous Nook Glowlight Plus because of their e-ink friendly preferences toggle. I may give that a go here too.
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #207
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Another disadvantage of using such an old Android version is that you cannot pair with Bluetooth 4.0 devices even if the reader has a capable chip. 😞

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #208
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoth View Post
Another disadvantage of using such an old Android version is that you cannot pair with Bluetooth 4.0 devices even if the reader has a capable chip. ��

Android 4.3 was the first release with (LE) Low energy support a feature of Bluetooth 4.0. Of course this might be mute if the hardware doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-30-2018 at 04:58 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #209
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Android 4.3 was the first release with (LE) Low energy support a feature of Bluetooth 4.0. Of course this might be mute if the hardware doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0.

Dale
Precisely, Boyue Lifebook Plus has 4.2.2. I read in a post here that the reader came with a chipset that supports Bluetooth 4.0. I was hoping to use it with any of my keyboards but since they are 4.0 I am out of luck.

Last edited by supertoth; 04-30-2018 at 07:00 PM.
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #210
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoth View Post
Precisely, Boyue Lifebook Plus has 4.2.2. I read in a post here that the reader came with a chipset that supports Bluetooth 4.0. I was hoping to use it with any of my keyboards but since they are 4.0 I am out of luck.

To know precisely you should probably ask the manufacturer Boyue or perhaps the keyboard folks. 4.2 did release a new version of the HID (Human Interface devices) Bluetooth software for Android. It is quite possible that it would be ok, but I cannot say for sure.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote