Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Jenny123
Jenny123 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Hello from Jenny

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and to my reader (I just received a Sony 505 as a birthday pressie yesterday).

I'm loving it so far, but, I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a question or two.

I left my 505 connected to my laptop via USB to charge overnight (approx 8 hours). My laptop was also connected to the mains to charge. Today I read 31 pages on my 505 (after downloading a few books) and its already showing only 2 bars on the battery indicator. Is this correct? Surely you'd expect the battery to last longer???

Any comments welcome.....

Thanks,

Jenny
Jenny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hello and welcome!

The Reader is done charging when the red light at the top (by the power slider) goes off. I've been told if you keep it connected after it is done charging, then it will actually start to drain the battery. Try recharging it til that goes off and see how long it lasts. If it still drains quickly, then I would call Sony for a replacement.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Jenny123

I'll give it a go, and thanks for such a quick reply!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
waggy27
waggy27 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
Welcome Jenny, I just got my 505 a week or so ago in UK, and mine came with two bars on the battery without charging it at all. Just speculating, but laptops often go into power saving mode if you don't press a key for ages - and I don't think it will power the USB sockets properly in that state. Therefore it might not have charged the 505 fully in the first place because the laptop powered down?

It may well be different on other machines, but something similar used to happen with my ipod and my laptop.
waggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Jenny123

OK, thanks for that Waggy. I'll try charging it from the PC and see if that works. To be honest I've noticed it's still on 2 bars, so maybe it never charged up properly in the first place???

Thanks.
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Just a quick question - when it is connected via USB, is the screen of the 505 showing "USB connected?"
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Jenny and welcome to MobileRead. You might consider eventually getting an AC adapter. They charge in about half the time and you can read your 505 while it's charging.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Jenny. You'll find new friends and lots of great help here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Jenny123

Hi everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Lilac_Jive - yes, the USB icon shows when its connected via USB to the laptop.

Cassidym - I think you're right, an AC Adapter would probably be useful.

Thanks again
Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny123 View Post
Hi everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Lilac_Jive - yes, the USB icon shows when its connected via USB to the laptop.

Cassidym - I think you're right, an AC Adapter would probably be useful.

Thanks again
OK, just checking Let us know if it you get it to work!
Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Jenny123

OK, an update. I charged the reader again when the battery had fully discharged. I connected it via USB to the laptop whilst I was using the laptop (the laptop was plugged into the mains). I unplugged it when the red light went off and the reader was fully charged. So, either, I over-charged the reader last time, or, it didn't charge because my laptop went into sleep mode - personally I think it was probably the latter. Just glad it's working properly now.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice.