Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Pollexfen, Muriel: The Conjuror of the Clouds. v1. 31 July 07

Here is a short story that features the Gray Ghost-- a wonder aircraft. It's over a hundred feet long with flapping wings (!) and propellers and it's armed with various weapons and bombs. It's operated by the mad genius inventor, Alsopp Ostermann, who's vision is to rule the world from the skies!! Of course, he always seems to be stopped by the young dashing Algy Brett, a young clerk in the British War Office.

There were actually six stories featuring Ostermann and his Gray Ghost printed in the pulp mag Adventure. This is the only one I have so far, but I plan to eventually find all six and post those as well. This may take a while because I can't find a lot of information concerning these stories. I will roam the dusty shelves of eBay and try to find them, buy them and scan them in.

This story is fairly self-contained, so don't let the fact that you haven't read the others deter you. It does refer to events in other stories, but they get explained when they are brought up (hmmm, was the writer getting paid per word?!).

For those of you who are in the mood to read something from the "extra-pulpy" section of our friendly neighborhood mobileread e-bookstore, this story is for you.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pollexfen, Muriel_Conjuror Of The Clouds.lrf.zip (215.4 KB, 900 views)
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Great! I'm not familiar with this at all, so this is a new discovery for me.

Thanks!

Donb

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-31-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Thanks Don! I have a couple of old pulps I bought on ebay and found some real gems in there. I basically have been trying to find anything published before 1922 so that there are no worries about copyright. The downside is that it's very difficult to scan these in without tearing them up.

I only spent a couple of dollars on them, but seems a shame to destroy them in order to save the stories. But anyway I found plenty of weird stories to scan, convert and post so life is good! I'll try to combine the serials when I can...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote