Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Dedalus95
Dedalus95 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Default font size?

You guys, this is driving me crazy. Someone had my kindle paperwhite, and the font got changed in the book I was reading. I can’t figure out what the default font size was. Is there a specific default font size for each book or is it the same all the way across?
Dedalus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Set it how you want it. That's the wonderful thing about e-books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Dedalus95

But is there a default font size?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've no idea. The line spacing is set at the thinnest, as are the margins. But as far the font size itself, I don't know. That can change from book to book depending on publisher settings. I change font size and line spacing all the time, as well as the margins, to what works for me at the time.

Don't worry about it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus95 View Post
But is there a default font size?
No, I don't think so. Some books come with a Publisher Font, but I think that only determines the specific font and the weight of that font (you can't adjust boldness on Publisher fonts). I think it just takes your page margins, line spacing and font size from wherever you currently have it set.

If something "looks wrong," it might be that the other reader changed the font itself (which would make the biggest visual difference).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You are likely having problems because the font was changed rather than the size. Bookerly is the default font on the newer kindles (2015 & later). Caecilia was the standard before Bookerly. And, like already mentioned, sometimes the font comes from the publisher, although that is uncommon. I don't know how to return to that default.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-14-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Some books come with a set font and they can't be altered. Right now, my Paperwhite is set for Amazon Ember, Bold 2, Size 5 and every book I open will use those parameters. If you want, you can do a reset, which will mean you need to download your books from the cloud to your device again, but it will reset all the parameters to factory original, whatever that means.

Just for you, and my idle curiosity, I'm doing a reset to see how the parameters are set from the factory. It will take a few minutes. And, if you do this, you need to know what language you want your Kindle to use and you need to know your WiFi password, it's case sensitive, and then you'll need to redo all your settings.

And, now the moment you've been waiting for. The results are: Bookerly, no bold, Font 4.

Last edited by patrickt; 01-14-2018 at 06:52 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Dedalus95

Patrickt you are the man! Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
I would like to be able to alter the font and size for the book I am reading, but without affecting other books.

Can any eReader do this?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
I would like to be able to alter the font and size for the book I am reading, but without affecting other books.

Can any eReader do this?
I think most can, but not the Kindles (and, now testing, not the Nook Simple Touches either). My Sonys can definitely set different size fonts for each book and I think the Kobos can also.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Why does this matter? It's very easy to change font sizes. On the Kindle you just pinch to zoom. I forget what the others do but it's not much different.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Why does this matter? It's very easy to change font sizes. On the Kindle you just pinch to zoom. I forget what the others do but it's not much different.
Well, the only reason it's any kind of deal at all, is that not all books have the same basic font size. If you're reading more than one book at a time, it's kind of nice to be able to set each book at its "best" font size and not bother with it when you move from one book to the next. But it's not a deal breaker, just a feature that's kind of nice to have.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, the only reason it's any kind of deal at all, is that not all books have the same basic font size. If you're reading more than one book at a time, it's kind of nice to be able to set each book at its "best" font size and not bother with it when you move from one book to the next. But it's not a deal breaker, just a feature that's kind of nice to have.
Fix your books so they are all consistent. No book should be allowed to alter the base font size, not even large print ebook editions.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A lot of eBooks use a smaller font size for their base font size. How would you deal with those?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of eBooks use a smaller font size for their base font size. How would you deal with those?
Like I said, fix them (e.g. in the css) so they are unified, if that were important to me. Me personally I have to adjust font size depending on book type anyway (mobi/kf8/kfx all use different renderers with different default fontsizes).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font