Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #76
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Ok here is another test for me. newman, can you please tell me when you put this attached article in your documents folder, do you see both the name (on home page) and content of this article as ???????? or Perso-Arabic text shows beautifully?

Sound fuzziness and issues are still there on v3.*?
See the screenshots. Sound is still bad with the internal player.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-25052.gif
Views:	303
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	141306   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-25053.gif
Views:	275
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	141307  
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #77
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
See the screenshots. Sound is still bad with the internal player.
Thanks.
Oooyyy... that text doesn't look good. All disjointed. I remember a TTF shared library needed to be patched for it to work... Ah, my memory!!!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #78
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I just checked on my Amazon Kindle account -
Sorry, I did not take notes - I probably should have.

Eventually you can hit an account page that has a large "Contact Us" button in the left margin -
When you click that, after a few questions, you have the choice of e-mail, phone, or chat.

I think that is the contact path you want, one of those.
I would choose "e-mail" myself, so there is a written record.
In fact you can ask for a written record of the chat session by email.

My experience and the usual recommendation on Amazon's Kindle boards is to use chat and to dis-recommend email.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
In fact you can ask for a written record of the chat session by email.

My experience and the usual recommendation on Amazon's Kindle boards is to use chat and to dis-recommend email.
That might be so - but that puts the control in the other party's hands.
Sort of like asking the Fox to give you a security report on the hen house.

For this situation - reporting a security problem in the Kindle firmware - I stand by my recommendation.

If they can lose or mis-place your incoming e-mail, just think how easy it will be for them to lose that chat transcript and/or your request for it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #80
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks.
Oooyyy... that text doesn't look good. All disjointed. I remember a TTF shared library needed to be patched for it to work... Ah, my memory!!!
I was wondering if this one looks OK. It's your AZW book converted to KF8 via Calibre and then rendered via 3.4's WebKit. But I can't tell if the conversion did the right thing wrt LTR/RTL direction..

If you could prepare a KF8 book in Calibre with RTL Arabic script, I can test it.

EDIT: I guess it does not look good. See the next comment for a more reliable test case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-31598.gif
Views:	268
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	141535  

Last edited by newman; 08-31-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Advert
Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 AM   #81
newman
homo viator

Quote:
I was wondering if this one looks OK. It's your AZW book converted to KF8 via Calibre and then rendered via 3.4's WebKit. But I can't tell if the conversion did the right thing wrt LTR/RTL direction..

If you could prepare a KF8 book in Calibre with RTL Arabic script, I can test it.
@idoit: What about this book? It's ebook from https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A7...84%D8%A7%D9%85 and I think it looks the same in Calibre, Firefox, and in Kindle if converted to KF8.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-31600.gif
Views:	260
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	141536  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 aslam (AZW3) - Wikipedia.azw3 (588.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #82
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

EDIT: I guess it does not look good. See the next comment for a more reliable test case.
This text looks 'Ok', in the sense that connections are preserved, Persian specific characters are recognized (and hence Arabic ones would have no issues either I guess) but weirdly enough some lines are RTL, some not!? Also, in the first paragraph, I don't understand why 1 opening sentence is missing!!! ??? Weird!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-31-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #83
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
@idoit: What about this book? It's ebook from https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A7...84%D8%A7%D9%85 and I think it looks the same in Calibre, Firefox, and in Kindle if converted to KF8.
1. It is absolutely very usable/readable,
2. Pleasant to the eye,
3. But same issue here: Some lines RTL is respected, some lines not. For instance: Title, subtitle, paragraph 3 are nicely RTL... but paragraph 1 is not.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #84
newman
homo viator

Quote:
1. It is absolutely very usable/readable,
2. Pleasant to the eye,
3. But same issue here: Some lines RTL is respected, some lines not. For instance: Title, subtitle, paragraph 3 are nicely RTL... but paragraph 1 is not.
Ad 3) it may be a problem in the source (the Wikipedia page) - is the first paragraph on the Wikipedia page correct? -, or in Calibre which does conversion, or in Kindle. Do those attached files look good to you (in Calibre or elsewhere)?
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 aslam (AZW3) - Wikipedia.azw3 (588.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: mobi aslam (MOBI) - Wikipedia.mobi (407.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #85
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Ad 3) it may be a problem in the source (the Wikipedia page) - is the first paragraph on the Wikipedia page correct? -, or in Calibre which does conversion, or in Kindle. Do those attached files look good to you (in Calibre or elsewhere)?
In Calibre, Mobi file is LTR (as expected), and
Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #86
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
In Calibre, Mobi file is LTR (as expected), and AZW3 looks all good and it's RTL (as expected). Therefore, this AZW3 file is a good testcase.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #87
thatworkshop
hub

@newman: As you might know, when you buy a book from Amazon, depending on the type of your device, different format of same book is sent. Yes, so book XYZ sent to K2 is different from a book sent to Kindle PW. So my concern is, now that your K2/DXi is on 3.4.2 which supports KF8, if you buy a book that supports KF8, you'd like to enjoy the full potential of your buck and not be sent a simple plain mobi version of it. Have you thought about this?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-06-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:59 AM   #88
newman
homo viator

If I "buy" http://www.amazon.com/Life-Mississip...dp/B0084B1X2Q/ (a book with supposedly KFX and KF8 enabled), I get .azw file about which Calibre claims to be a MOBI and `file` that it's "Mobipocket E-book version 7". So, no, you'll get just what matches the firmware Amazon *expects*.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #89
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
If I "buy" http://www.amazon.com/Life-Mississip...dp/B0084B1X2Q/ (a book with supposedly KFX and KF8 enabled), I get .azw file about which Calibre claims to be a MOBI and `file` that it's "Mobipocket E-book version 7". So, no, you'll get just what matches the firmware Amazon *expects*.
I expected so.

What's output of your:
/proc/version

and

uname -a
Old 09-08-2015, 02:38 AM   #90
newman
homo viator

Or, perhaps, it's what I registered with Amazon: a DXi (therefore they expect 2.5.8 and are sending MOBI).

Last edited by newman; 09-08-2015 at 06:26 AM.