Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Does the DR1000S have wifi or blue tooth?

Hey guys, I am curious if the DR 1000S has wifi equipped?
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
Hey guys, I am curious if the DR 1000S has wifi equipped?
No, the DR1000S does not.

The DR1000SW should though, but it has not been released yet. The question is whether it will be released and when it will be released.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think personally that WiFi is a total waste of time on such a device. I never used the WiFi on my iLiad when I had it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think personally that WiFi is a total waste of time on such a device. I never used the WiFi on my iLiad when I had it.
Yes, agree. We use such device is mainly and only for reading. Wifi can also short the battery life.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
To me WIFI was useful for moving documents b/w PC and iLiad. Connecting USB couple of times a day is annoying...
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
To me WIFI was useful for moving documents b/w PC and iLiad. Connecting USB couple of times a day is annoying...
If the file size is large, it might be slow, I guess.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
WIFI would be a great thing to have, especially for reading blogs and news.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
WIFI would be a great thing to have, especially for reading blogs and news.
I dont think the e-ink technology available now is enough for webpages, because it refresh the whole screen always. I could be wrong.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I dont think the e-ink technology available now is enough for webpages, because it refresh the whole screen always. I could be wrong.
The Kindle's have a web browser that is good enough for emergency use and for finding and downloading ebooks. It is apparently much more usable on the KDX (even though it is the same browser as on the Kindle 2) because of the larger screen. It does not do Adobe Flash or any animation, and really only works well on sites optimized for cell phone browsers (but many popular web sites have cell phone versions now).

I assume iRex has not released the DR1000SW because they don't have enough software developers to get a web browser working. The delay can't be hardware, since adding WiFi and bluetooth is entirely mainstream these days. Note that iRex never released a web browser for the iLiad, even though this would have been a major differentiator for the device and there were several browsers ported by the user community.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I assume iRex has not released the DR1000SW because they don't have enough software developers to get a web browser working. The delay can't be hardware, since adding WiFi and bluetooth is entirely mainstream these days. Note that iRex never released a web browser for the iLiad, even though this would have been a major differentiator for the device and there were several browsers ported by the user community.
Maybe the irex could do the same to the DR, add the wifi hardware and let the users to develop something.The irex is a small company and I guess they throw more its resources to the e-ink device.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Battery might be the problem as well. WIFI would drain it pretty instantly I guess...
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #12
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
Does the Irex Reader have bluetooth?

just wanted to know if it has bluetooth?
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
just wanted to know if it has bluetooth?
See here, seems to get both WiFi and Bluetooth.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The as-yet-unreleased DR1000SW has Wifi and Bluetooth; the current DR1000S model does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
On the other hand, I use wifi on my iLiad as the primary way of loading content.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote