Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thumbs up Getting Franklin eBookMan 911 To Work On Vista

I found this information on the anythingbutipod forum via a Google search. I hope it is okay to quote because I tried it and was finally able to get my eBookMan to work (and realized that I hadn't used the thing in at least 6-7 years, so now I've got to relearn it ).

Quote:
By Jethro:
One of my favorite mobile devices is the eBookMan, so I was pretty bummed when Ectaco stated it was not compatible with Vista.
Here is a workaround to get the software and drivers working with Vista.
I originally installed the software under administrative rights and ran into some problems, so I reinstalled it open to all users.
During the install, Vista will automatically format and reinstall the eBookMan OS, so all data on your EBM should be saved.

Download the eBookMan software(drivers are included), and set it to install under XP Compatibility.
Right Click on ebookman_install_pc_en_full.exe > Select Properties > Compatibility Tab > Run this program in XP Compatibility.
Keep administrator unchecked.

***[I would also add, click on "Show Settings For All Users" (also on the Compatibility tab) and click "Run this program in XP compatibility" there, too]***

Vista will not recognize the drivers, so they must be installed through Windows Device Manager.
Be sure to have the eBookMan plugged into the USB port and turned on.

***[When you turn on the eBookMan in its cradle, Vista is going to ask you if you want to install the drivers. I chose the "ask me next time" option, so that it wouldn't do anything on its own and I could follow the instructions that follow. Don't know if that really makes a difference or not, but I wanted to follow the instructions as closely as possible.]***

Right click on My Computer, Manage and then Device Manager.
Look for eBookMan, double-click it, and select the driver tab and "Update Driver".
Point to C:\Program files\Franklin Electronic Publishers\eBookMan Desktop Manager\usbdriver.
A warning will pop up, select "install this driver anyway".
Once the drivers are installed, open eBookMan Desktop Manager and wizard through the setup. For the latest OS, install from the Internet.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...vista+ebookman

All honor to Jethro!

I was finally, finally able to reload the OS by using the Desktop Manager and accessing "My Updates". I downloaded the file, rather than just running it, so that I can keep a copy of it in case of future screwups, since the only way it seems you can download the OS is by having a connected eBookMan make an online handshake.

I did find that there was no automatic "Library" folder set up where it was supposed to be under C > Program Files > Franklin... > eBookMan Desktop...> Data, so I created one. I haven't yet tried to download new books to the MMC I have in the 911. It did read the books I currently have on that old card.

I also had to sychronize the contents of the eBookMan into the Contents folder on the computer.

Hope this information helps someone.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
Thanks for posting the info. I'll have to find my EBM-911 and see if it will still work.
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You're welcome.

I never knew that Vista was causing the problem.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
gortsew
gortsew began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
Hi,
I have a really big problem. I have got an EBM-911 which is faulty and loses the OS every time I replace battery. Up to this time it was not a problem, because I could download the OS via Internet from Franklin. But Franklin removed the web site and the EBM Desktop software crashes and no OS is installed. I have the original install CD but at this point it also goes to the Franklin web-site for validation, and since the referred eBookman website was removed the Desktop Manager crashes also. Could anybody make an MMC Backup (which includes the OS) from eBookman and make that available for me. I am terribly sad. Please help me
Thanks in advance: Ivan Gortsew
gortsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
dominicw
dominicw began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman 901
My cd was lost, Franklin sent me a link to the desktop manager but it was not packed with the operating system. Waiting to hear back from Franklin on this. If anyone else can help, I would be greatful.

dominicw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
gortsew
gortsew began at the beginning.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicw View Post
My cd was lost, Franklin sent me a link to the desktop manager but it was not packed with the operating system. Waiting to hear back from Franklin on this. If anyone else can help, I would be greatful.

1. You can download the Desktop Manager from here:
http://download.franklin.com/frankli...pc_en_full.exe

2. Install the Desktop manager (connect the eBookman
when asked)
3. Open (start) the Desktop Manager (open the book-like
Desktop Manager icon from the right side of the tray),
choose Your connection (e.g. USB) for the eBookMan.
4. Choose from the Desktop manager menu the "web" item
5. Choose "install OS from CD / internet"
6. Choose "internet" and let the OS be installed,
so follow the instructions.

Franklin's web-site which contains the eBookman files
has been down and promised by Franklin to be up again by
the end of this week, so please wait till that with trying to
download the OS (steps 3 to 6)!!!!!

By the way: You can download the User's Gudie from here:
http://www.ectaco.com/products/mater...ebm-900_en.pdf

[/B]
gortsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
washuai
washuai began at the beginning.

I need the OS, too. Is this site still down? If I go to my updates, then I get a 404 error. If I Select Download OS/Applications I get an error. This OS stuff is the worst. I never get to use this damn product between installation issues and no battery life.
washuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
r2p2s
r2p2s began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman 911
i have the same problem, can´t use the ebookman because franklin have the webpage for authentification down. I have send various emails for fix this.
I have the windows 7 64 bits with the emulation of windows 2000 sp4 in java and work fine, but i can´t install the OS without the authentification.
Anyone have a idea of how skip the authentification from the website of Franklin when you install the OS from the Cd?
r2p2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
PMs sent to r2p2s and washuai.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote