Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
kiaraSe
kiaraSe began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Plugin doesn't finish instalation

Windows 7
Calibre 3.21 64bit

I'm having trouble with FanFicFare plugin installation.

I've installed Calibre and the plugin on a new pc but for some reason it appears that the installation of Fanficfare is unfinished. Calibre is working fine together with all the other plugins, however fff appears as though it's stuck at the 'Please Restart' stage.

If I go to plugin list and choose customize plugin it shows 'You must restart calibre before you can configure the FanFicFare plugin'. I also can't enable/disable it and no icon appears on any menu.

I've tried uninstalling it, I tried uninstalling calibre, as I'm running calibre 64 I tried installing the other option and still nothing.

I've asked under [GUI Plugin] FanFicFare and the developer said to turn to general help.

Help please.

I'm out of ideas, and I feel like the solution is pretty obvious and I'm just missing it.
kiaraSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you restart Calibre as it requires? The installation has not been fully absorbed until the restart. You can't configure the infant install until the restart.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
kiaraSe

Of course, I restarted it numerous times. And all the other plugins I use require a restart too, and they work just fine.

I restarted calibre, the pc, reinstalled and all else I could think of.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->miscellaneous and click open configuration folder. Then quit calibre.

Then look in the plugins sub-folder of the configuration and delete the fff files/folders. Then re-start calibre and install fff
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
kiaraSe

Just did this, still nothing.

When I install it I don't even get the option of choosing which menu to add the icon to. I just press install, it tells me to restart, I do so and the installation still doesn't work
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

THen delete the file customize.py in the config folder but note that you will have to re-install all your plugins after doing that.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
kiaraSe

Did so, there were no plugins listed as installed, installed only fff and still the same issue. Doesn't work.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Last edited by kiaraSe; 04-12-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kovid - Could this have anything to do with the Plugin Updater issue I raised back in January, and the consequent change you made, see post #25 in that thread.

@kiaraSe - try installing FFF in a fresh install of Calibre Portable, that will or will not confirm you're doing anything wrong. My intuition is that your not.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaraSe View Post
Did so, there were no plugins listed as installed, installed only fff and still the same issue. Doesn't work.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
I hate to ask silly questions but a few come to mind. Does the user you are using to install the FFF plugin have administrative rights? Have you tried a manual install if you were doing the automatic install from within calibre's preferences? Have you tried a restart in safe mode and tried the install from there?

Edit: to clarify what I mean by a manual install is to download the plugin.zip file from the plugin thread and then use "Load plugin from file" button instead of using the "Get new plugins" button/dialog.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-12-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: clarification of terms
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
kiaraSe

They aren't silly at all, at this point I'll consider anything.

Yes it's an admin, the same that installed everything else on the pc. Yes to the manual install, I downloaded the zip from the developer's link (also checked it was the latest version). I also just tried the safe mode option and still nothing changed.

Though maybe I should also try re-installing calibre from safe mode? I'm just really tired of re-installing it fff.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Kovid - Could this have anything to do with the Plugin Updater issue I raised back in January, and the consequent change you made, see post #25 in that thread.

No, I dont see how that would affect anything.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Though maybe I should also try re-installing calibre from safe mode? I'm just really tired of re-installing it fff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@kiaraSe - try installing FFF in a fresh install of Calibre Portable, that will or will not confirm you're doing anything wrong. My intuition is that your not.
I suspect that something has gone awry with your config data. If its OK in Portable then we'll have something to work from. The next step would be to rename the config directory in your home directory (when caibre is NOT running) then when you start calibre it will build a fresh one and you can try adding FFF to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, I dont see how that would affect anything.
Nor did I. But I thought it was worth asking, because its fairly recent

BR
Old 04-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #13
kiaraSe

@BetterRed Sorry I missed your first message.

So I did what was suggested, installed portable version. Managed to install fff on it and it works on the usb.

Also on the regular version, changed the directory name, created a fresh one and added FFF, this time it at least asked on which toolbars to add it, but it still doesn't work after restart.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

So I did what was suggested, installed portable version. Managed to install fff on it and it works on the usb.

Also on the regular version, changed the directory name, created a fresh one and added FFF, this time it at least asked on which toolbars to add it, but it still doesn't work after restart.
@kiaraSe - those results suggest to me it might be something in the database, some plugins store library specific preferences in the library database, I don't use FFF so I'm not sure if it does that.

Another possibility is there is something amiss with the FFF '.ini' file I've seen mentioned from time to time - I don't know where it's kept or what's in it.

JimmXinu might be able to shed some light on the above. Hopefully he is keeping a watch on this thread, I'll give him a nudge in case he's not

BR
Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

Down load the plugin, then Boot windows in safe mode, then try to install the plugin using install from zip file.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote