Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
The official stand : https://ereader.store/en/accessoires...-stand-27.html

Beautiful, but I think that I prefer the later, more adaptable.
Thanks, I didn't explore the new web site
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by svosg13 View Post
According to the specs:
Max2: 550g
DPT-RP1: 349g

However, the Sony feels significant lighter in my hand, so I don't think the Max2 specs is accurate
To my scale, 580g.

Quote:
The big MINUS point for the Sony is the software. As usual, Sony software sucks! To achieve security, they implemented a new connectivity method that when you plug your DPT-RP1 to computer it will establish a local ethernet network between the devices and you HAVE to use Sony software to transfer files, rather than the traditional USB storage way in previous DPT-S1 model. This is a HUGE problem for people running VPN on their laptop, or using company laptop with firewall 24/7 ON. The software will not work unless you are off VPN or using home network. This is so STUPID idea that I am looking forward to rooting the device no matter what cost...
This gives me blazes of the spirits of the '60, mostly about Timothy Leary but with a distant mark of Manson.

BTW: "security"against what, Godzilla? Kung Fury's Hackerman? svosg13?

Last edited by mdp; 02-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #18
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
To my scale, 580g.

This gives me blazes of the spirits of the '60, mostly about Timothy Leary but with a distant mark of Manson.

BTW: "security"against what, Godzilla? Kung Fury's Hackerman? svosg13?

I think they try every possible ways to reduce the possibility of easy downloading/copying of the documents via a USB connection. Replacing USB direct connection with an ethernet somehow seems "safer" to them, lols. Apparently I don't know how to define "security" clearly in Sony's terms.
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
svosg13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
To my scale, 580g.
The casing probably contributes 50% of that weight. I understand that they are limited by cost and heat so they need to make the casing 30% larger than then screen. A huge difference between product made by a long-time giant hardware maker v/s a newbie maker.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #20
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I cannot comment on the Sony devices, but I own both a reMarkable and an Onyx Boox 2. I don't use either to read epub books (I am myopic, but still prefer reading epubs on a smaller devices); but I've used both to try and read PDFs, which smaller size ereaders don't deal too well with.

For weight, I'd say the reMarkable is light enough to be comfortable to hold for some time; the Onyx is a bit too heavy for that to feel really comfortable.

For reading comfort, the larger display size of the Onyx is really significant; it allows me to read full-page PDF magazines (with rather small font size) or other full-page PDF documents, with absolutely no problems. But then, whenever I am reading for a long time, I tend to not hold the reader in hand; I'll instead lay it flat on a table, or on some kind of surface.

Whenever I read about the hardware of the Sony device, I think it's really too bad that they only ship it with software that won't let the user work the way he wants - a complete deal breaker for me. The Onyx is a very nice device and I'm happy with it, but a similar one with the Sony hardware (and lower weight!) would really have been sweet.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Whenever I read about the hardware of the Sony device, I think it's really too bad that they only ship it with software that won't let the user work the way he wants - a complete deal breaker for me. The Onyx is a very nice device and I'm happy with it, but a similar one with the Sony hardware (and lower weight!) would really have been sweet.
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #22
svosg13
Enthusiast

Quote:
I cannot comment on the Sony devices, but I own both a reMarkable and an Onyx Boox 2. I don't use either to read epub books (I am myopic, but still prefer reading epubs on a smaller devices); but I've used both to try and read PDFs, which smaller size ereaders don't deal too well with.

For weight, I'd say the reMarkable is light enough to be comfortable to hold for some time; the Onyx is a bit too heavy for that to feel really comfortable.

For reading comfort, the larger display size of the Onyx is really significant; it allows me to read full-page PDF magazines (with rather small font size) or other full-page PDF documents, with absolutely no problems. But then, whenever I am reading for a long time, I tend to not hold the reader in hand; I'll instead lay it flat on a table, or on some kind of surface.

Interesting, so do you like the Boox2 more or the Remarkable? I pre-ordered but canceled. I've never got chance to try it.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #23
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting, so do you like the Boox2 more or the Remarkable? I pre-ordered but canceled. I've never got chance to try it.
For writing, the Remarkable is way ahead - I only write on the Onyx when I want to annotate a document. For reading, the Onyx feels more comfortable to me.

Since I got the Remarkable, I've used it as my only note-taking tool, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Also the Remarkable isn't designed to let you install your own software (it runs on a Linux variant, but the UI is not designed for third-party software), whereas the Onyx runs Android and will let you install whatever Android app you want - it might not work perfectly, but you can try. This might be a factor, depending on your taste.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #24
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
For writing, the Remarkable is way ahead - I only write on the Onyx when I want to annotate a document. For reading, the Onyx feels more comfortable to me.

Since I got the Remarkable, I've used it as my only note-taking tool, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Also the Remarkable isn't designed to let you install your own software (it runs on a Linux variant, but the UI is not designed for third-party software), whereas the Onyx runs Android and will let you install whatever Android app you want - it might not work perfectly, but you can try. This might be a factor, depending on your taste.
In what way is the Onyx Max 2 subpar when it comes to writing? I haven't tried the Onyx, but I've tried the reMarkable and thought it was mostly suited for drawing, not writing, and was hoping the Onyx would be better for writing.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #25
Philippe D.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
In what way is the Onyx Max 2 subpar when it comes to writing? I haven't tried the Onyx, but I've tried the reMarkable and thought it was mostly suited for drawing, not writing, and was hoping the Onyx would be better for writing.
The Onyx screen is much smoother than the Remarkable, and that makes writing on it less comfortable. Also, the devices have different sizes: the Remarkable has a page size that feels more comfortable to me than the full page of the Onyx.

As for the software... I haven't tried much writing on the Onyx, mostly annotating PDF documents, whereas I've done a lot of writing (and very little annotating) on the Remarkable. But with what practice I have, I find the interface to be easier to get used to on the Remarkable.

Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of problems with the Remarkable software. Ways to copy/paste from one page to another, and from one document to another, are sorely missing. But I haven't checked any details on the Onyx for this, I admit
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #26
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:
Ways to copy/paste from one page to another, and from one document to another, are sorely missing. But I haven't checked any details on the Onyx for this, I admit
It would be great to have copying / pasting even within a page on the bundled Note app -- but I have not yet found a way to do this (neither on the original Max nor on the Max 2).
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #27
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
One doubt. Can you read an epub book and see it in 2 columns per page instead?

with this size, being able to read in 2 columns would be much faster and comfortable than in a single page.

And I ask epub, pdf should be supported (i think), but epub I don't know
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #28
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

I didn't find a way to view exactly 2 pages at once in landscape mode using Neo Reader 2 on the Max 2.

However, using "Book Mode" with the "Two pages" option in the app 'Librera', this was possible. I just checked with an epub as well as a pdf.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #29
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
The Onyx screen is much smoother than the Remarkable, and that makes writing on it less comfortable. Also, the devices have different sizes: the Remarkable has a page size that feels more comfortable to me than the full page of the Onyx.
This surface smoothness on the Onyx, do you think it would put you off doing maths on an Onyx? I suppose you write for longer stretches than one would when calculating, but still.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #30
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
I didn't find a way to view exactly 2 pages at once in landscape mode using Neo Reader 2 on the Max 2.

However, using "Book Mode" with the "Two pages" option in the app 'Librera', this was possible. I just checked with an epub as well as a pdf.
Just now, I've tried with my old M92 with success :
  • EPUB file used;
  • 'new PDF reader' used ('new' version for the M92 );
  • go in landscape mode;
  • reduce the font size while the M92 doesn't show 2 pages.

You can try this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_pages_landscape_M92.png
Views:	158
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	162837  
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote