Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Worst narrator ever?

I've heard a few bad ones, but Donna Tartt, reading her book The Secret History, has committed a crime against humanity. I plodded through an hour, and I had to give up. Why a woman with a Southern accent would read a first-person narrative of a man from California boggles the mind. One of the other reviewers who managed to plod all the way through claims she even yawns during the performance (the book is 22+ hours).

Thankfully a professional was hired to narrate The Goldfinch, and he was one of the best narrators I've listened to.

Who else do we need to avoid?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've made it a point to avoid authors narrating their own books. I made an exception for Peter S. Beagle reading The Last Unicorn, and while he was OK, I wish a professional narrator would redo it.

Some of the LibriVox narrators are ... not good, shall we say, but they're volunteers, so I'm not going to dump on them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
William Dufris reading Holmes on the Range was painful, I gave up after an hour. Slow with an awful fake cowboy twang, it twanged on my nerves. I've sampled some of his other readings, they were slow too, so he's on my avoid list.

I'm also not fond of Dick Hill. His gravelly monotone voice works for '50 PI stuff, but nothing else.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You know, it may be - for at least some of them - it's going to be pretty subjective. I happen to know that a couple of the narrators that drive me crazy are favorites of at least one of the regular posters over on the Free/Bargain Romance thread.

I actually recently posted a bad narrator review on Audible's page for the book The Hot Zone by Jayne Castle. I listed to at least part of another book (The Nazi Officer's Wife) by the same narrator and for that book she was fine, but she butchered this one! To me, she sounded like she was doing a William Shatner impression. On top of that, she sounds to be an older woman who probably smokes (I can picture her with a rocks glass and a cigarette) - and the main character is in her 20s. It's just too, too distracting.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-25-2014 at 06:27 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
When I have multiple choices for the same book, I generally avoid females and anyone with pronounced accents. It's not a sexist thing, but I frequently find females to be too soft spoken or the wrong gender to be narrating a male dominated action-adventure. But for some titles, female narrators are preferred.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When I have multiple choices for the same book, I generally avoid females and anyone with pronounced accents. It's not a sexist thing, but I frequently find females to be too soft spoken or the wrong gender to be narrating a male dominated action-adventure. But for some titles, female narrators are preferred.
I can see why this would be true - I know I prefer women narrators for romance and urban fantasy novels. For genres like urban fantasy or romantic suspense or even just female-centric suspense, I do prefer women with generally deeper voices - like Susan Ericksen, who narrates the JD Robb In Death mysteries. I think it makes their male voices more believable.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm not a fan of Scott Brick narrating thrillers. I also didn't much care for David Suchet narrating Mysterious Affair at Styles.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When I have multiple choices for the same book, I generally avoid females and anyone with pronounced accents.
Ahh... But you *cannot* listen to a Patrick O'Brian novel (Aubrey/Maturin series) with anything but an British accent. Just doesn't work.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ahh... But you *cannot* listen to a Patrick O'Brian novel (Aubrey/Maturin series) with anything but an British accent. Just doesn't work.
Totally agree with you on that. But a British accent for Zane Grey or a southern accent for Doctor Who are both out of the question.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some of the worst books I've listened to were ones narrated by the author. It's not always the case but often I find them horrible.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I also didn't much care for David Suchet narrating Mysterious Affair at Styles.
Same here. I'd previously watched a few episodes of the Poirot TV series and his reading of the book reminded me too much of his role in the series, which I try to keep, in my mind, quite distinct from the books. It was simply too distracting and I had to eventually give it up in favor of actually reading the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Some of the worst books I've listened to were ones narrated by the author. It's not always the case but often I find them horrible.
I agree heartily. The majority of them should just write the book and leave it that
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I've made it a point to avoid authors narrating their own books. I made an exception for Peter S. Beagle reading The Last Unicorn, and while he was OK, I wish a professional narrator would redo it.
I will also make an exception if they are reading their autobiography. I bought John McCain's book "Faith of My Fathers" on Audible. And while he shouldn't quit his day job, it was interesting to hear him tell his story.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I don't remember the book but the narrator had, for lack of a better term, a very wet mouth. It sounded like he was slurping half his words. I also try and stay away from books narrated by the author.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
Interesting thread, I just listened to True Grit narrated by Donna Tartt, and thought it was a wonderful performance. (I see it has some poor reviews on Audible, but the complaints I read were about intermittent swallowing and non-verbal mouth sounds - I could hear those when I used a good pair of headphones but not with regular earbuds). She did an amazing job of bringing Mattie Ross to life in this story.

I almost couldn't finish an audiobook narrated by William Dufris. I don't think it was just his narration, because I found the protagonist of the book annoying, and didn't like the way the plot was handled, but his reading style didn't make the book easier to follow or more enjoyable. In contrast, I'm listening to the Rho Agenda series narrated by McLeod Andrews, and his reading makes it easier to overlook some of the annoying features of the book.
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #15
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I agree heartily. The majority of them should just write the book and leave it that
I'll endorse two exceptions: Simon Winchester and Jack Weatherford. Their books are non-fiction and both authors have experience as public speakers. Winchester is a former broadcaster and Weatherford is a professor. So the audiobooks are delightful to listen to.

The worst narrator I've listened to was Kathleen Turner reading Elizabeth Peters' <b><i>Night Train to Memphis</i></b>, 5th in her Vicky Bliss mystery series. I never finished the first cassette (yes, this was a while ago).
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote