Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #4576
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Space truly IS the final frontier!

I can't criticize; I do the same thing. I bought last month's Mirror Universe ebooks because I never owned one and wanted to trade my dead-tree copies of the rest in... just like the Vanguard books before that. I'm on the fence about this month's trilogy, though.
I never had most of those mirror universe books either, so I bought them all. I'm excited for the stargazer and gateway series sales coming up in the next couple months as I haven't read all of those either.

The Prey trilogy is pretty good actually! For some reason I only had books 2 and 3 so I bought the first one again. I know I had those in paperbacks too, but I must have got fed up with the tiny print and just bought the rest as e-books. lol
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #4577
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Pardon a digression back the topic of accumulating (too) many Kindle freebies, a question - I don't suppose there's a 3rd party tool or app to analyze one's Kindle library is there? I'd like to be able to sort them by rating, and ideally filter them by genre, that sort of thing. I know I can put them into collections myself, but at this point it seems overwhelming. Thanks.

Last edited by glow; 05-09-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #4578
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Best tool out there is Calibre. It will do what you want it to do, plus a whole lot more.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #4579
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I never had most of those mirror universe books either, so I bought them all. I'm excited for the stargazer and gateway series sales coming up in the next couple months as I haven't read all of those either.
There's a calendar of future deals? Do tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar
The Prey trilogy is pretty good actually! For some reason I only had books 2 and 3 so I bought the first one again. I know I had those in paperbacks too, but I must have got fed up with the tiny print and just bought the rest as e-books. lol
Adjustable font size is definitely an advantage (well-designed) ebooks have over print. Sometimes I'll bump the size a notch just because my eyes are tired.

If you haven't yet tackled the Mirror Universe books, the first two "and" books are not traditional anthologies, but a multi-part saga in two volumes. Shards and Shadows, the third of those, actually IS an anthology of short works within that timeline. I recall Rise Like Lions being a new novel in that frame, but I believe the other novel in the set is an expansion of one of the stories from the first collection. So that might influence your approach to reading the set.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #4580
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
There's a calendar of future deals? Do tell!

Adjustable font size is definitely an advantage (well-designed) ebooks have over print. Sometimes I'll bump the size a notch just because my eyes are tired.

If you haven't yet tackled the Mirror Universe books, the first two "and" books are not traditional anthologies, but a multi-part saga in two volumes. Shards and Shadows, the third of those, actually IS an anthology of short works within that timeline. I recall Rise Like Lions being a new novel in that frame, but I believe the other novel in the set is an expansion of one of the stories from the first collection. So that might influence your approach to reading the set.
I think I’ve read the anthologies years ago but not Rise Like Lions or the other one.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #4581
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Best tool out there is Calibre. It will do what you want it to do, plus a whole lot more.
Thanks for the response. I've dabbled with Calibre for format conversion. Are you saying that it can categorize my Kindle books without my intervention to tag them or whatever? Or interface to Amazon or Goodreads to get ratings information?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #4582
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With an add-on, it links to goodreads, and depending on how you edit metadata for a book, can pull tags for the book. So yes.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 AM   #4583
glow
Book and Gadget Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
With an add-on, it links to goodreads, and depending on how you edit metadata for a book, can pull tags for the book. So yes.
Thanks, will research.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #4584
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Man I scored myself a good deal. I explored amazon daily deals. Thought they would be all no namers but I scored a John Gresham book for $1.99

Just feeding more fuel to the ebook obsession. I only have some 200 to 300 books to read LOL

I want to buy Dean Koontz third book in the Jane Hawk series when it comes out May 8th but no way will I pay $15 ever again for an ebook Also Stephen King has a new book coming out in June I think and John Gresham this October I believe.

Its so hard to afford new releases from authors I love. John Gresham, Stephen King and Dean Koontz are my favs. I really feel that digital books should not cost nearly as much as a hardcover or paperback

Last edited by HLS; 05-04-2018 at 01:32 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #4585
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are bargain threads for those who want them. Please do not post bargains here.

I am speaking here both as OP and as a mod.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #4586
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are bargain threads for those who want them. Please do not post bargains here.

I am speaking here both as OP and as a mod.
I have also deleted a post that argued with moderation.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #4587
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Six months ago, we moved back to Chapel Hill, NC after a 6-year absence. Because I am an alumni, I have free access to the UNC-System libraries (there are 15 libraries on campus). Our town library is also one of the most well-stocked and is the most highly used library in the state. I have had zero reasons to buy with all of this within walking distance of our home again.
We have plenty of libraries here with good sized e-catalogs but alas, almost no science fiction or decent fantasy (how can you not have Terry Pratchett?) On the plus side, they have a large collection of crime, thriller and mystery. Since I can't read paper books any longer and some of my writers often have books that are geo-restricted, I still tend to buy when available in case they disappear. Audible pulled all but the most recent Murder She Wrote series a few months ago. I'm glad I made the effort to get everything that was there last year.

Last edited by Tarana; 05-04-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #4588
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I still tend to buy when available in case they disappear.
And there's the rub when fighting an addiction! We should mostly best be served by buying on demand, but that presupposes that the books will still be available when we get to them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #4589
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I try not to buy, but then a sale comes along, or the New Leaf Book Club nominations have me excited about one or more books, and there goes my resolve. Sigh.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #4590
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have also deleted a post that argued with moderation.
I was not arguing with anyone. Just giving my opinion. Or is giving ones opinion not allowed.? Maybe you should ask the poster to reword their post before deleting in case something was misinterpreted
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote