Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Tijntje
Tijntje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Calibre 3.26.1 X64 unable to delete books

I have a weird issue, which I never experienced before.
When I try to delete a book from Calibre 3.26.1 it hangs the application. When I forcefully close it it has actually removed the entry from the DB but not from the file system.

Library Path: \\hyperv\data\ebooks

Obviously the user I'm running has full controll on the path.

When I monitor the process wit ProcMon I see really weird behavior.

First it is running through the files that I want to have deleted and it looks okay.

Then I get a whole lot of writing to the database

After that is gets weird and that seems to lock up the program

I I run the same version on the same library but locally on the host that has the library everything works however when I look in the Recycle bin I see those weird directories in the properties from the deleted book.

If I try to restore it it goes to the wrong location, it is not going back to D:\Data\eBooks\<Author>\<book> but to that weird location.

The setup I have not gave me any issues.

Last edited by Tijntje; 07-01-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Tijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When books are removed they are initially moved to a temporary working directory, with the name "<library name> deleted xxxxxx" where xxxxxx is a random 6 char string. It is that directory that gets sent to the Recycle bin, which explains what you are seeing in the Recycle Bin and when you do a restore from it.

On the broader issue - try disabling your anti-virus. Avast, AVG and others have been known to create problems of this sort. If that fixes it exclude the library from AV monitoring.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-01-2018 at 08:40 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Tijntje

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When books are removed they are initially moved to a temporary working directory, with the name "<library name> deleted xxxxxx" where xxxxxx is a random 6 char string. It is that directory that gets sent to the Recycle bin, which explains what you are seeing in the Recycle Bin.

On the broader issue - try disabling your anti-virus. Avast, AVG and others have been known to create problems of this sort. If that fixes it exclude the library from AV monitoring.

BR
I only have Windows Defender running and even with that disabled get the same result.

What is the actual path the files are moved to temporary? Because my library resides on a file share it actually looks like it is trying to create folders outside my library but on the fileshare.
The path it tried to write to is "\\hyperv\data\ebooks deleted xxxxxx" which is a different path then "\\hyperv\data\ebooks\deleted xxxxxx"
Outside of "\\hyperv\data\ebooks" Calibre does not have access rights.
If this is the actual case it is weird behavior of Calibre in my opinion.

Last edited by Tijntje; 07-01-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The folders will be created in the parent folder of the library. I explained the reasons why in your bug report.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Tijntje

Would it be possible to create an option so that the recycle bin is fully ignored and bypassed and files are directly deleted?
Something like shift+delete in Windows?

EDIT:
It is not so much a share issue as it is a right issue. When I have the library locally with the same user that does not have rights outside of the actual library it also hangs.

Last edited by Tijntje; 07-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just create a sub-folder inside the library folder and make that your actual library folder.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Tijntje

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just create a sub-folder inside the library folder and make that your actual library folder.
That is an even simpler idea thanks.
Why didn't I think of that
Old 07-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijntje View Post
Would it be possible to create an option so that the recycle bin is fully ignored and bypassed and files are directly deleted?
Something like shift+delete in Windows?

I keep non-ebook formats in calibre libraries (videos, 'games' etc), some of which exceed the largest file size you can send to the recycle bin, IIRC it's a percentage of the Recycle Bin maximum size.

I can't recall exactly what happens in calibre when Windows issues its "too big to send to the recycle bin" message; but whatever it is, it is enough to have gotten me into the habit of removing very large 'format' files via Alt+Del (which is a permanent delete), before removing the book.

Another option would be a "Don't use the Recycle Bin" setting in Preferences->Behaviour or Tweaks, or an environment variable.

But I hasten to add, for me this is a Nice to Have.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-01-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: add last line
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I am somewhat reluctant to add a such a setting as it means that there is no way to recover from an accidental delete. And while I know that most people would be fine with that, there are going to be a few who will toggle that setting, forget that they did so and then when they lose books, come and yell at me.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Kovid, that's more or less why I've never asked before. I might have done if the warning calibre issues when a Remove is done wasn't optional.

BR
Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Win 10 Has a new feature with in Windows Defender called "Controlled Folder Access" that seems to be on by default. It's designed to prevent applications from writing to major user folders to prevent anti-malware

I had problems with iTunes until I went to CFA and created an exception rule

Might be worth checking
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote