Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: What will you replace your Kindle with.
BeBook 2 Model w/WiFi 5 9.80%
EZ Reader Plus model by Astak 1 1.96%
NUUT 2 by Neolux 0 0%
Boox by Onyx 1 1.96%
Txtr 4 7.84%
Other, please post 11 21.57%
I don't care, Keeping my Kindle 9 17.65%
This poll doesn't apply to me. 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I did select other. Not because of the wifi, but because if I was to get a new reader, I would want it to have a larger then 6" screen. And since the only option now is iRex, I'll wait to see what happens in 2010. Also, my finances are not good enough yet to purchase another device at the moment. So by 2010, I'll have the money to get this larger screen reader if I want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm an other as well. I'll probably get a couple of Sonys.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
As I've said, I'm not giving up either one of my Kindles BUT I will add to my ebook reader collection. I'm still interested in Boox and Plastic Logic. I'll just have to see where technology takes me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Sony 505 and 700
Though if you're fleeing Amazon because of their tight-fisted policy on DRM, do you really want to be supporting Sony? If I replace my Kindles, I'll go with one of the independents.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Right now I just want to read novels, so my K1 is good to go.

I'd replace it down the road when technology improves as we can have basically a touch screen color e-ink (or some new display that's as easy on the eyes) in a tablet device that does books, web browsing, e-mail, PDA etc. etc.

Until then, the Kindle is good for what I need in a reader (leisure reading of novels) so I won't replace it anytime soon barring breaking it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #21
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does anyone not think that this might be overreactive? I'm not too surprised that Amazon would be against code that reveals ID #'s that are an important component of its DRM toolset.

It's probably due diligence in legally enforcing their DRM more than a hard line against getting books from other places. They allow non-protected mobi's, certainly. They're not going to complain if you post on how to de-drm mobi's, that's mobipocket's responsibility.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
Does anyone not think that this might be overreactive? I'm not too surprised that Amazon would be against code that reveals ID #'s that are an important component of its DRM toolset.
You're right. Amazon overreacted in how they handled things.

Quote:
They're not going to complain if you post on how to de-drm mobi's, that's mobipocket's responsibility.
Mobipocket is a part of Amazon.

I don't know if I'll send mine back or not. I've thought about it, but...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post

It's probably due diligence in legally enforcing their DRM more than a hard line against getting books from other places. They allow non-protected mobi's, certainly. They're not going to complain if you post on how to de-drm mobi's, that's mobipocket's responsibility.
I think it's mostly about keeping people from stripping DRM from Amazon books which is probably more scary now that there are tons of iPhone and iPod Touch users. This doesn't prevent you from buying books elsewhere and stripping the DRM off. You just need to use the Mobipocket software PID if you don't have your Kindle PID. People have been stripping DRM off of books from other stores and the library and reading them on their Kindles for months. The question remains as to whether Amazon will ever start snooping on our Kindles. So far they haven't. They reserve the right to, however.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The question remains as to whether Amazon will ever start snooping on our Kindles. So far they haven't. They reserve the right to, however.
Can one of you point me to the exact place this is stated? I've seen it mentioned a number of times, but never bothered to look into it.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Can one of you point me to the exact place this is stated? I've seen it mentioned a number of times, but never bothered to look into it.
Pdurrant linked it here.

Edit: Looks like his link doesn't work. Try this.

Here's a quote:

Quote:
Information Received. The Device Software will provide Amazon with data about your Device and its interaction with the Service (such as available memory, up-time, log files and signal strength) and information related to the content on your Device and your use of it (such as automatic bookmarking of the last page read and content deletions from the Device). Annotations, bookmarks, notes, highlights, or similar markings you make in your Device are backed up through the Service. Information we receive is subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice.

Last edited by Alisa; 03-13-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Pdurrant linked it here.

Edit: Looks like his link doesn't work. Try this.
Thanks, so I guess unless there is something to the contrary in their Privacy Notice (which or course can change) then they can do this. I can't imagine things going well for them if they ever did though.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #27
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Though if you're fleeing Amazon because of their tight-fisted policy on DRM, do you really want to be supporting Sony? If I replace my Kindles, I'll go with one of the independents.
The difference is that Sony has opened up our choices by accepting ePub and reflowable PDFs (even if the PDF option isn't the best in the world). So we aren't locked into the Sony store or the Sony format or Sony DRM.

Additionally, Sony can't (at least not yet) access my Reader to see if I have other than Sony DRM material on it. I grant that Sony's DRM is draconian like Amazon's, but Sony doesn't force me to buy books with it and Sony can't snoop.

Last edited by rhadin; 03-13-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added comments about snooping
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sony hasn't failed in the U.S. yet lacks Amazon's backing. And Sony has been advertising, often as co-op with local stores, at least in my area of the country.

And now Barnes & Noble has bought Fictionwise. It may be a while before it ramps up, but you can bet B&N won't sit still and cede ebooks to Amazon.
I was going to point this out too. With Borders partnering with Sony, and B&N buying Fictionwise, I don't see Amazon running away with ebooks. If it was just one of them, maybe they wouldn't have much effect. But with both major b&m's having a stake in ebooks and by default, readers, I don't see Amazon and the kindle destroying the market.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #29
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I think it's mostly about keeping people from stripping DRM from Amazon books which is probably more scary now that there are tons of iPhone and iPod Touch users. This doesn't prevent you from buying books elsewhere and stripping the DRM off. You just need to use the Mobipocket software PID if you don't have your Kindle PID. People have been stripping DRM off of books from other stores and the library and reading them on their Kindles for months. The question remains as to whether Amazon will ever start snooping on our Kindles. So far they haven't. They reserve the right to, however.
That you know of
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #30
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm not going to replace my Kindle anytime soon. However, I will not buy any ebooks from Amazon for the next month. Plus I was planning on buying a larger screen reader when that becomes available, so you can bet this will be a factor when deciding between a Plastic Logic device and the rumored K3.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote