Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #16
Astabeth
Member who wants a reader
Astabeth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
In all my years of reading I've never once owned a book light. Just read by the lamp on the couch/chair/nightstand by the bed etc. I guess I could see it for married people wanting to read in bed while their spouse is sleeping or something--but I'd just read in another room and go to bed later.
My husband goes to sleep before I do and I usually quit reading when I'm too sleepy. Being in bed already allows me to go straight to sleep but also not wake him up by coming to bed.

Thank you, everyone, for all the information. I think what I will try to do is find a used Kindle 1. I am sure I will be back for more information on software help, library ebooks, etc. I will still probably not be able to buy for a couple of weeks, so if anyone has something to add, I will be listening.

Thanks!
Astabeth
Astabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astabeth View Post
My husband goes to sleep before I do and I usually quit reading when I'm too sleepy. Being in bed already allows me to go straight to sleep but also not wake him up by coming to bed.

Thank you, everyone, for all the information. I think what I will try to do is find a used Kindle 1. I am sure I will be back for more information on software help, library ebooks, etc. I will still probably not be able to buy for a couple of weeks, so if anyone has something to add, I will be listening.

Thanks!
Astabeth
You know .... I'll bet you that Amazon is probably still selling reconditioned K1s ... you might want to consider going that route if they are. Full warranty and all.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Def. Kindle, its the best tech gadget ive bought in years
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
When I read a list of things people want/need, I have to wonder where they get these ideas. I think in most cases you will find you do not need or even want what you think you do.
On the K2 you can store 1500 books and also back up all your Amazon purchases in your archive on Amazon and the non-Amazon files on your computer. So do you really need an additional memory card?
I have had my K2 almost 2 weeks and have not even had to charge it yet and I read every day on it. I am not even remotely concerned about having to replace the battery. Many devices do not come with this option, like my iphone, which I have had since they came out, the battery is still fine.

As far as the "being able to read in the dark", this tells me you have missed the whole point of e-readers. If you want that, then read on your computer or an your phone. I have never seen a book that was backlite. The advantages of e-ink far out weigh this, you can read in bright sunlight as well as anywhere else for a length of time and without eye strain.

FYI: I have also heard some of the Sony's do not work well with Macs, I am not sure about that but that is what a Sony owner told me.

I think maybe you should see if you can see one in person. The Sony's I believe are available at Target. If you go to the Amazon communities they have a see one in your city at the top. You could also just buy one, try it out and you have 30 days to return it.

Good luck.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octochick View Post
On the K2 you can store 1500 books and also back up all your Amazon purchases in your archive on Amazon and the non-Amazon files on your computer. So do you really need an additional memory card?
For people with a large existing library of free books or books from other websites, I can see the need. I already have more non-Amazon books than could fit entirely on one K2, but I don't need to have them all on there at once. I'm quite happy keeping them on my computer and transferring as desired, but for other people the memory card is more convenient.

Also, it seems a lot of people were getting around the lack of folders by using memory cards as folders. To me this just underscores the need to have a proper tagging/folder system in software, not a need to put the memory card slot back.

Having said that, I certainly expect to see a memory card peripheral in the near future for the Kindle 2. There's no reason you can't hook one up via the micro-USB port; indeed there's already a USB cable on the market with a SD card slot, but Kindle 2 is not programmed to take advantage of it (yet).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
When I read a list of things people want/need, I have to wonder where they get these ideas. I think in most cases you will find you do not need or even want what you think you do.
I have had my K2 almost 2 weeks and have not even had to charge it yet and I read every day on it. I am not even remotely concerned about having to replace the battery. Many devices do not come with this option, like my iphone, which I have had since they came out, the battery is still fine.

As far as the "being able to read in the dark", this tells me you have missed the whole point of e-readers. If you want that, then read on your computer or an your phone. I have never seen a book that was backlite. The advantages of e-ink far out weigh this, you can read in bright sunlight as well as anywhere else for a length of time and without eye strain.

FYI: I have also heard some of the Sony's do not work well with Macs, I am not sure about that but that is what a Sony owner told me.

I think maybe you should see if you can see one in person. The Sony's I believe are available at Target. If you go to the Amazon communities they have a see one in your city at the top. You could also just buy one, try it out and you have 30 days to return it.

Good luck.
If you have never seen a "book" that was backlit then you are very new to ebook readers. My original Rocket EBook was backlit, and that was handy ... although it was a bit of a strain on the eyes and a drain on the battery.

And, you can't read an e-ink page "anywhere ... without eye strain." You need to have a good source of light. Anything else will cause eye strain.

I like to keep a spare battery charged and with me on trips where I might be away from electrical power for a few weeks. For me, being able to change the battery is key. For my iPhone, I have several rechargeable power packs which will charge the phone and that are small to pack and carry with me.

In addition, I passed the 1,500 book limit of the K2 some time back. If I didn't have my SD card, my Kindle would be of less use to me than it is. So, if you have to wonder why people have specific needs for a device, that makes me think you haven't really thought all that much about the topic.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Good luck.
I think you may be referring to what YOU may want/need. What I want/need is entirely different.

I do not care to back up my books at Amazon.

I WANT a memory card, Amazon GAVE me the option to use it with the Kindle1 then took it away with the Kindle2.

I will not be limited to what Amazon or anyone else thinks is "enough" books. As with my paper library, I will collect what I want.

Whether I read each and every one is not the issue.

The battery issue is the same. It still remains to be seen the true lasting ability of the "new" battery.

When my batter does go out, and its still working at full capacity even after 9 months, I have another here which costs me $19.99 which I will just switch out......what, maybe 5 minutes worth of time? Compare that to sending your K2 back to Amazon, and waiting for it to come back. And, if yours goes out after the 1 yr warranty, you get the privaledge of paying $59 plus shipping t have it replaced by them. I'm sure there will be a hack to do it yourself, but what will that do t your warranty?
Now, you can buy and extended 2 yr warranty, true, for $64. How much monetary sense does that make?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I think you may be referring to what YOU may want/need. What I want/need is entirely different.

Now, you can buy and extended 2 yr warranty, true, for $64. How much monetary sense does that make?
And, on top of THAT, even if you buy the stupid extended warranty, you still have to pay the $59 to have your battery replaced if you have a problem.

Gotta tell you, DG .... some people out there don't seem to have all that much common sense.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
If you have never seen a "book" that was backlit then you are very new to ebook readers. My original Rocket EBook was backlit, and that was handy ... although it was a bit of a strain on the eyes and a drain on the battery.

And, you can't read an e-ink page "anywhere ... without eye strain." You need to have a good source of light. Anything else will cause eye strain.

I do believe she means p-books are not backlit.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:

He was clearly meaning real books, not past readers.

I don't get all the light complaints either--with people complaining about compact flourescent bulbs etc. I've never had any issue with any light bulb anywhere I've tried to read--be it a real book or the Kindle (though I've only been reading it for a few days).

But maybe that's an age thing (I'm 30) or an issue for people who read for very long stretched (I generally only read for 1-2 hours continuously).

As for the battery issue, I have the K1, but the non-replaceable battery in the K2 wouldn't have deterred me from getting one. Reader tech is still pretty limited, so by the time I killed the K2 battery it would be at least 2-3 years down the road and I'd be ready to buy the latest and greatest new gadget anyway.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #26
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And, on top of THAT, even if you buy the stupid extended warranty, you still have to pay the $59 to have your battery replaced if you have a problem.

Gotta tell you, DG .... some people out there don't seem to have all that much common sense.
Okay, first of all, not true... the 2nd year of the extended warranty would cover a battery replacement. So yes, $64 for what would otherwise be a $59 replacement.

Secondly, the main value of the extended warranty is 2-year replacement in case of accident, like dropping it or sitting on it or whatnot (once). Is that worth $64? Well, that comes out to about an expectation of an 18% chance of breaking it in 2 years. I also expect to replace my Kindle 2 with a Kindle 3 in the next 2-5 years. So it makes sense for me to get the extended warranty in the meantime so I don't have to pay for a Kindle 2 twice in that time period.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Okay, first of all, not true... the 2nd year of the extended warranty would cover a battery replacement. So yes, $64 for what would otherwise be a $59 replacement.

Secondly, the main value of the extended warranty is 2-year replacement in case of accident, like dropping it or sitting on it or whatnot (once). Is that worth $64? Well, that comes out to about an expectation of an 18% chance of breaking it in 2 years. I also expect to replace my Kindle 2 with a Kindle 3 in the next 2-5 years. So it makes sense for me to get the extended warranty in the meantime so I don't have to pay for a Kindle 2 twice in that time period.
Interesting quote. How did you come by your percentage?

I don't expect to replace my K1's until they die a decent natural death. So I take very very good care of them.

My phones, on the other hand.........they like to swim.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #28
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Interesting quote. How did you come by your percentage?
You just take the price of the warranty divided by the price of the product. That's the percentage of a new Kindle it costs me for that time period. Then you just have to decide if that percentage is more or less than the chance of you breaking it during that time period. If it's much less, then the warranty is a good deal; if it's much more, then statistically you're better off risking breakage.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
We're missing the data on how long a Kindle should last (on average) before a warranty problem arises. In any event, nobody sells a warranty that gives the advantage to the buyer. They always favor profit to the manufacturer, otherwise they wouldn't sell them.

I even went so far as to read the extended warranty info - the battery is not covered.

Personally I would be inclined to not buy the warranty, unless I had a habit of breaking things or had small curious children around. Eventually, when the battery dies (and it will) it will probably happen outside of the warranty period. At that point you can attempt to open it yourself and replace it without fear of voiding your warranty. By then there will probably be a bunch of "how to" web sites as well.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #30
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
My thought on extended warranties for electronics has always been as follows.

If I buy one for all the electronic junk I buy, I'll spend WAY more than the cost of replacing the few things that do break down early over the years.

Thus I never get them.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony kindle decision mac