Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #16
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast
Hexadecimal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why not disconnect the battery and do a continuity test yourself?
Be sure to use a tester that is safe for use on lv-cmos parts.
I don't how to do this process... I just tested the resistant between the two pads and GND(the copper around the face of the board). The result is, between two pads resistance is very high, can be assumed that they're not connected. between two pads and GND is about 130k Ohm.

Is that fine for this situation, or this wrong method give no help...?
Hexadecimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 03:44 AM   #17
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Why not disconnect the battery and do a continuity test yourself?
Be sure to use a tester that is safe for use on lv-cmos parts.
I tried 3.3V, it writes, but after that bunch of information output, the uboot prompt is not showing correctly.

Reading and writing seemed to function, though not properly. This serial-to-USB which I borrowed from my classmate might be not that good... I'll wait that 1.7V one arrive and try again.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimal View Post
I tried 3.3V, it writes, but after that bunch of information output, the uboot prompt is not showing correctly.

Reading and writing seemed to function, though not properly. This serial-to-USB which I borrowed from my classmate might be not that good... I'll wait that 1.7V one arrive and try again.
what does: "not showing correctly" mean?
No one can help you if all you say is: "its broke".

What did you do to stop the autoboot sequence @ the u-boot prompt and when did you do it with respect to the start of the reboot sequence?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #19
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:

What did you do to stop the autoboot sequence @ the u-boot prompt and when did you do it with respect to the start of the reboot sequence?
I pressed some normal key. I tried this for times. but, after pressing, the uboot prompt can only show some of its characters right. Like:

unkot| (or some unprintable characters)

Once I input something, the characters also turns into other characters, some not printable. So, I can hardly input 'bootm 0xE41000', and cannot check output either. Maybe it's just showing uncorrectly, or more likely it's not a vaild input, since remained no action after.

Last edited by Hexadecimal; 06-08-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
coplate
Addict
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
That could be a combination of things.

If your TX and RX pins are touching, its possible you could get this, more likely is that your speed and data/stop/parity bits aren't right in putty as well.

Or it could be that board just doesn't like it.

If you can paste the whole log from putty ( raw, so on the putty new connection screens, choose session->logging and turn on "all session output" ), we might be able to help decide which it is.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #21
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:

Now I have got that 1.8V one. Things went fine, but, after that command...

uboot > bootm 0xE41000
mmc read failed
ERROR: couldn't read boot image from flash address 0x41000

And no any response further.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Code:
CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz
Temperature:   33 C, calibration data 0x58a50c5f
mx6sl pll1: 996MHz
mx6sl pll2: 528MHz
mx6sl pll3: 480MHz
mx6sl pll8: 50MHz
ipg clock     : 66000000Hz
ipg per clock : 24000000Hz
uart clock    : 80000000Hz
cspi clock    : 60000000Hz
ahb clock     : 132000000Hz
axi clock   : 198000000Hz
emi_slow clock: 22000000Hz
ddr clock     : 396000000Hz
usdhc1 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc2 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc3 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc4 clock  : 198000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_ESDHC: 2
Board: Unknown
Boot Reason: [ POR ]
Boot Device: NAND
Board Id: ...
S/N: ...
I2C:   ready
Invalid board id!  Can't determine system type for RAM init.. bailing!
DRAM:   0 kB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial

Warning: fail to get ext csd for MMC!
idme_get_var ERROR: couldn't switch to boot partition
Quick Memory Test 0x80000000, 0xffff0000
POST done in 4 ms

Battery voltage: 4000 mV

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
uboot > bootm 0xE41000
mmc read failed

Last edited by Hexadecimal; 06-09-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #23
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code:
- - - -
- - - -
uboot > bootm 0xE41000
mmc read failed
*) Unable to start external RAM.
*) And the 'diags' kernel is too large to run in internal RAM only.

So you have to fix the board ID.
And the fully functional build of u-boot (called: bist) is also too large to run in internal RAM only.
But you should be able to list the available commands in the mini-uboot build that you are running.

Which, if this state was reached solely by an attempt at an image update of the 'main' system can only have happened by failure of the flash chip.

The required data that is missing is stored outside of any image storage area, and is never touched by an image update.

Typically, this state is reached, baring hardware failure, by a person trying the "erase all" selection from the u-boot list of options.

So you need to follow the directions for recovering from the use of "erase all". Even if you didn't select that u-boot action because somehow it did get selected.

Last edited by knc1; 06-08-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #24
coplate
Addict
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you compare the value that printed on the board ID with what is actually printed on a sticker on the logic board of your kindle itself, on my US PW3 the board ID is on a gold sticker by the screen cable.?

If it doesn't match, post back here, and I have some thoughts.

Also from that uboot prompt, go ahead and fun the 'idme' command and see if there are any other errors.

Here is one thread that discusses restoring from eraseall

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
One user restored his Kindle after eraseall (story starts here) with this U-Boot and previously made data backup.

Though, I think, it wouldn't help you in solving original problem.
Nobody has figured out how to do USB Boot on PW3 so far though.

I know that the uboot you have installed as an option to launch fastboot, and also an option to load binaries into RAM over the serial port.

Last edited by coplate; 06-08-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #25
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
*) Unable to start external RAM.
*) And the 'diags' kernel is too large to run in internal RAM only.

So you have to fix the board ID.
And the fully functional build of u-boot (called: bist) is also too large to run in internal RAM only.
But you should be able to list the available commands in the mini-uboot build that you are running.

Which, if this state was reached solely by an attempt at an image update of the 'main' system can only have happened by failure of the flash chip.

The required data that is missing is stored outside of any image storage area, and is never touched by an image update.

Typically, this state is reached, baring hardware failure, by a person trying the "erase all" selection from the u-boot list of options.

So you need to follow the directions for recovering from the use of "erase all". Even if you didn't select that u-boot action because somehow it did get selected.
uboot > bist fastboot

ERROR: couldn't switch to boot partition

Hmmm...
Old 06-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #26
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Can you compare the value that printed on the board ID with what is actually printed on a sticker on the logic board of your kindle itself?

If it doesn't match, post back here, and I have some thoughts.

Also fromthat uboot prompt, go ahead and fun the 'idme' command and see if there are any other errors.

Here is one thread that discusses restoring from eraseall

Nobody has figured out how to do USB Boot on PW3 so far though.

I know that the uboot you have installed as an option to launch fastboot, and also an option to load binaries into RAM over the serial port.
13G010917115015K. Acatually, it matches...
Old 06-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #27
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Also from that uboot prompt, go ahead and fun the 'idme' command and see if there are any other errors.
uboot > idme

serial:

mac:

sec:

pcbsn:

bootmode:

postmode:

btmac:
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #28
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Code:
uboot > printenv
bootdelay=1
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x80800000
rd_loadaddr=(0x80800000 + 0x300000)
bootcmd=bootm 0x41000
failbootcmd=panic
post_hotkeys=0
loglevel=5
bootcmd_diags=bootm 0xE41000
bootcmd_factory=bist halt
bootcmd_fastboot=bist fastboot
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial

Environment size: 277/1020 bytes
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #29
coplate
Addict

Quote:
Code:
Board: Unknown
Boot Reason: [ POR ]
Boot Device: NAND
Board Id: 13G010917115015K
S/N: [snipped]
I2C:   ready
So the board ID itself is somehow set, but there's other stuff missing, this is past my knowledge right now.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #30
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
So the board ID itself is somehow set, but there's other stuff missing, this is past my knowledge right now.
Thanks!
I missed that detail. *

What you see is a u-boot built for the PW3-4G being run on a PW4-32G.

Replace the currently running u-boot with the one from the Amazon update package (which you can open with Kindletool).

- - - - -

Search for the thread with 'fastboot' in its title, I am pretty sure that one has the directions you need.
IIRC, that was also one of the treads that included recovering from 'erase all'.

- - - - -

* Past time for me to give up, when I can't even write the answer to the questions I know about.

Last edited by knc1; 06-08-2017 at 10:48 PM.