Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #2521
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpchaim View Post
Sorry for not reporting earlier knc1, hadn't realized I hadn't turned email notifications on and missed your PM.
Anyway, all books I've tested so far and even those problem ones I reported earlier work just fine now, thank you! You too @nemiere!
Thank you.

There have been a lot more downloads of the file than reports made;
I guess the "silence is golden" rule applies.
knc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #2522
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

I wasted a whole lot of time on this today, somebody else had better try the file & directions above and report back.
Hi knc1,

thank you very much for posting the file and for your time.
I have installed it on my kindle; it works ok, but I did find a book where it does not work.
It is a preview, maybe this is the problem?
anyway, in case someone else wants to give it a try this is the link to the book's page:

https://www.amazon.it/lungo-viaggio-...ing=UTF8&psc=1

since the book and the page are in Italian, to see the preview you need to click o the book cover and then the button to download the free preview is on the left, "Invia estratto ora". I'd be glad if someone else's could give it a try.

MIkii
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #2523
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikii View Post
I have installed it on my kindle; it works ok, but I did find a book where it does not work.
It is a preview, maybe this is the problem?
anyway, in case someone else wants to give it a try this is the link to the book's page:

https://www.amazon.it/lungo-viaggio-...ing=UTF8&psc=1
MIkii, would you mind PM-sending me the metadata.kfx file of this book? You can find it inside folder
Code:
Documents/Long-Name-With-Book-Title-Or-Book-Author.sdr
of your kindle.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #2524
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiere View Post
MIkii, would you mind PM-sending me the metadata.kfx file of this book? You can find it inside folder
Code:
of your kindle.
Our PM system does not support attachments.

Since what you are asking for is a 'free' sample, I suspect that it would be alright to attach to one of the posts here.

What has been done in the past to use the posts in this forum for controlled distribution -
Put file into password protected archive, attach archive here, exchange password via our PM system.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #2525
Mikii

Quote:
Code:
of your kindle.
nemiere, I put download instructions and the link on my post, you should be able to get the free sample of the book from amazon with no problems; if you want to PM me your email I can of course send you the cover.

Chers,

Mikii
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #2526
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
nemiere, I put download instructions and the link on my post, you should be able to get the free sample of the book from amazon with no problems; if you want to PM me your email I can of course send you the cover.

Chers,

Mikii
If that someone lives in Italy or uses an Italy proxy.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #2527
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
nemiere, I put download instructions and the link on my post, you should be able to get the free sample of the book from amazon with no problems
Mikii, your book is in azw3 format, so the new fixed "kfxmeta.py" has no effect on it. The sample book you PM-linked to me seems to miss its cover both inside .azw3 and inside .sdr dir. As I'm not in Italy, I can't try downloading this sample book myself.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #2528
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Mikii, your book is in azw3 format, so the new fixed "kfxmeta.py" has no effect on it. The sample book you PM-linked to me seems to miss its cover both inside .azw3 and inside .sdr dir. As I'm not in Italy, I can't try downloading this sample book myself.
What?
You mean Python scripting can't be made to extract a cover that does not exist?

If instead we supply the cover, could you make the scripting write the book to match?
Old 06-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #2529
Mikii

nemiere, thank you for clarifying this. The strange thing is that I do see the cover on my kindle if I go to page 1 of the book. So knc1, YES, kindle does extract a cover of that book from somewhere else. (PS the kindle is offline)

Cheers,

Michele
Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #2530
knc1
Analog Forever!

This if the first time I have heard of anyone trying the 'cover mode' on a sample book.
I am pretty sure NiLuJe never tested this add-in on sample books.

If you decide to get the real, full, book -
Then this add-in will probably work as expected.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #2531
Ruskie_it
Addict
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle 4 NT, Cybook Odissey
Just for fun, I have tried the book Mikii linked (I'm italian, so I downloaded the sample). I have an unpatched version of the SS-hack, and the cover mode does not work on that either.
I guess it is not designed to work on kindle samples (which btw makes sense, since it's only 5 minutes reading time)
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #2532
Ruskie_it
Addict
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It works for all my kfx amazon ebooks ("old" and "new" variations).
I have (at least) one ebook for which it doesn't work.
I am using knc1's pyton file, put in the latest snapshot of the SS hack.
After copying the file into the linkss/bin directory, I have even rebooted the kindle.

I know it is not the image cover itself, because the SS hack works perfectly if I put in the kindle the azw3 version of the book.
But if I put the kf8 version, no dice.

Is there a chance (and a way) for it to be debugged?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #2533
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
- - - -
Is there a chance (and a way) for it to be debugged?
Is it a public domain book that could be shared with someone to work on the problem?

Do you have any kf8 format books where the 'cover mode' does work?
Or does it fail for any and all books of that format?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #2534
Ruskie_it
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is it a public domain book that could be shared with someone to work on the problem?
No, that one isn't a public domain book

Quote:
Do you have any kf8 format books where the 'cover mode' does work?
Or does it fail for any and all books of that format?
To be honest I have only tried with a couple: until I discovered the "hack" to the ss hack I though it could not handle kf8 files therefore I have never tried to use it.

Now I tried with two books and none of them did work, but one of these also givers a wrong cover in azw3 version.

Do you want me to try several book?

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 06-28-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Silence is golden
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #2535
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
- - - -
Now I tried with two books and none of them did work, but one of these also givers a wrong cover in azw3 version.

Do you want me to try several book?
If even one of them work, then it is not (entirely) the fault of the ss add-in.

If none of them work, regardless of how many you try, the it probably is some fault of the ss add-in.

So the more you can try, the more reliable the conclusion should be.

I am just trying to gather some background information for anyone who chooses to work on the problem.
(Not me, I don't program with Python.)

- - - -

There is a site rule about not even suggesting the sharing of copyright material.
It is a very sensitive matter here.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch