Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Do any iOS readers have these features yet?

I have to do a lot of pdf research reading and the font is often so tiny that I have to zoom out (on apps that allow it). Then the the text stretches to both sides of the iPad making it slow to read. Sometimes the font is too big and apps also won’t allow zooming in far enough. So I’m looking for anything with these features:

1 A pdf reader that allows you to dynamically change the font size? I know this has been historically difficult with pdf, but maybe someone has cracked the secret to it.

2 If none have that ability, then a pdf reader that will allow you to crop/set the margin size and zoom the text far in and out within the set (locked) margins?

3 if there is an app that does either, it would also be essential for it to have a black background night mode option.

4 simple export of all annotations. Email etc

Apps I’ve tried:
Marginnote 3 was my go to app for this, but the latest update screwed up the night mode. I’ve tried pdf viewer and it doesn’t allow 1 or 2. Documents by Readlle is nice, but doesn’t allow 1 or 2 (or zoom far enough) so many of my PDFs aren’t readable in there. Kindle and iBooks are terrible for exporting annotations last I tried and aren’t really for pdf anyway. Liquidtext is ok until you try to export out of it and the file sizes are huge. I used Goodreader for years and I’m pretty sure even the latest version won’t allow font size changes or cropping/zooming independent of each other. Any new good pdf readers out there with features above?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well PDFs are intended to preserve the page formatting. The only way to resize the text therefor seems to be to reflow it. I know a Foxit has this ability, as well as a night mode.

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-24-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Thanks for pointing out one I was unfamiliar with on iOS, I used foxit on the desktop years ago. The problem is in reflow mode you can’t annotate, same issue with Goodreader. I played around with foxit and do like how how in reflow mode there are a couple different margin options and the font is nice. I saw exporting a pdf is subscription based, so that’s a no go for me. I wish there was something with the flexible options of Marvin, but for pdf. I know I’m dreaming there.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well, exporting to a different format is subscription-based. You can export PDFs for free using the share sheet.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
bounce
Zealot

Good to know. I’ll probably try keep it around to read casual stuff that’s in pdf form, but since you can’t annotate in reflow mode I can’t use it for research reading.
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #6
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
1 A pdf reader that allows you to dynamically change the font size? I know this has been historically difficult with pdf, but maybe someone has cracked the secret to it.

2 If none have that ability, then a pdf reader that will allow you to crop/set the margin size and zoom the text far in and out within the set (locked) margins?

3 if there is an app that does either, it would also be essential for it to have a black background night mode option.

4 simple export of all annotations. Email etc
MapleRead SE can do #2 (with Prefer-Zoom), #3, #4. I've used all these features for my serious PDF reading satisfactorily for a long time.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
bounce
Zealot

Thanks for that. I remember seeing that app a while back and didn't look into all the versions. Checking it out now