Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Lebowsky
Lebowsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Need help deciding on new ereader

Hi!

I need to replace my old 2014 Kobo Aura, which died from compression in my backpack during a flight :/

I know what I don't want, that is a Kindle, and any tablet device. I don't need annotation functionality etc. I will mainly/only be reading epubs.

Size wise, I think the size of the Aura was 6" and that was good.

What I also would like, is a sturdy/resistant device, or one that has a known good cover that I can buy additionally.

So, as far as I know, my main option I think is the Kobo Clara. The comfortlight feature seems very interesting as well.

Any other device than the Clara that I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Hi!

I need to replace my old 2014 Kobo Aura, which died from compression in my backpack during a flight :/

I know what I don't want, that is a Kindle, and any tablet device. I don't need annotation functionality etc. I will mainly/only be reading epubs.

Size wise, I think the size of the Aura was 6" and that was good.

What I also would like, is a sturdy/resistant device, or one that has a known good cover that I can buy additionally.

So, as far as I know, my main option I think is the Kobo Clara. The comfortlight feature seems very interesting as well.

Any other device than the Clara that I should be looking at?

Thanks!
I suggest you also look at the Kobo Libra H2O. It has a 7" screen. I had 6" Readers for a long time and when I decided to move on from my Sony Reader PRS-T1, I bought the Kobo Aura H2O and I like the larger screen. The screen is 6.8" and I would be perfectly happy with a 7" screen. I feel that once you go with a larger screen, a 6" screen make feel small.

With a larger screen, you can have larger text before the text looks a bit too larger for the screen size, full screen images can look better and they will look larger, it can feel more natural when reading, More text on screen so less page turns for longer batter life. Plus, the Libra H2O has buttons if you want them.

Overall, I think the Libra H2O is the better Kobo to get vs. the Clara HD.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I recently had a Libra, with the intention to replace the Clara. The 7" screen is definitely a much more natural screen size and you can fit plenty of text on one page. The 6" is more compromised in this regard. In the end I only returned it because of the uneven front light mine had (to be honest it's not a big deal), but I will probably buy one again when a deal comes around.

So I'm now reading again with the Clara. I do miss the bigger screen, but it's still a nice device and I actually prefer it in some ways to the Libra. I really appreciate the lower weight and the smaller, symmetrical form factor. Especially when lying down I find the Clara a more practical device.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
So I'm now reading again with the Clara. I do miss the bigger screen, but it's still a nice device and I actually prefer it in some ways to the Libra. I really appreciate the lower weight and the smaller, symmetrical form factor. Especially when lying down I find the Clara a more practical device.
To me, I find a 6" screen less practical having used a larger screen. If I was buying a Kobo, I would most likely go for the Libra.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Libra screen size is a good compromise, though it might not fit all pockets.
I do have the Sony PRS350 and the phone when mobile.

I'll keep the Libra at home or with the netbook or laptop if going out with those.

My Kobo Aura H2O will now be for loan to special beta readers as the Kobo is better for Annotation than Kindle or Nook.

The annotation selection is a bit faster on the Libra than H2O original
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Kobo Clara is an excellent 6" ereader. I love the 7.8" nook as well. Great comfort light on the Nook
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Kobo Clara is an excellent 6" ereader. I love the 7.8" nook as well. Great comfort light on the Nook
@Lebowsky, if your thinking of a 7.8" screen nook, go for the 8" Kobo Forma. Better hardware and much better firmware.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Personally I think a 6" screen is the best size for reading novels for someone who doesn't need really large text. I'd prefer a 5" screen but those aren't available anymore.

My suggestion is to read reviews on all the current models, Kindle, Kobo and Nook, and pick out the one that has the features and price you want. I realize you said no Kindles but reading Kindle reviews will give you better perspective even if you pick another Kobo.

My personal opinion is that they're all good and that you're the only one who can pick the best fit to you. Since you want to read epub Kobo is probably going to be your best option but you won't really know that till you have a good grasp on what's available.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Personally I think a 6" screen is the best size for reading novels for someone who doesn't need really large text. I'd prefer a 5" screen but those aren't available anymore.

My suggestion is to read reviews on all the current models, Kindle, Kobo and Nook, and pick out the one that has the features and price you want. I realize you said no Kindles but reading Kindle reviews will give you better perspective even if you pick another Kobo.

My personal opinion is that they're all good and that you're the only one who can pick the best fit to you. Since you want to read epub Kobo is probably going to be your best option but you won't really know that till you have a good grasp on what's available.

Barry
Have you tried a larger then 6" eInk screen? I have and I would not want to go back to 6". So hat kind of leaves out the nook as it may be too large at 7.8". The new Kobo firmware (IMHO) is better then the Kindle firmware. I;ve seen a direct comparison of the Libra and the Oasis 3 showing the same manga and the Oasis looked washed out. The Kobo looked much better and it dithers better. The hardware for the Libra and Oasis 3 are similar but the Libra doesn't have that silly bump on the back.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
Lebowsky
Lebowsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
One thing I didn't mention is that I am a casual ereader user. I mostly - if not only - use it when traveling. Otherwise, I often buy physical copies instead of digital. I typically would never read a manga or comic on an reader, I'd just purchase the physical edition. This is why I wanted to stick with a 6" device.

I would love to try some Clara and Libra to feel the difference in size, but it seems impossible nowadays. I just moved to the UK from CH, and ok, I don't know all retailers, but it seems those kind of devices are all just sold online. I'll stick to the reviews for now!
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
One thing I didn't mention is that I am a casual ereader user. I mostly - if not only - use it when traveling. Otherwise, I often buy physical copies instead of digital. I typically would never read a manga or comic on an reader, I'd just purchase the physical edition. This is why I wanted to stick with a 6" device.

I would love to try some Clara and Libra to feel the difference in size, but it seems impossible nowadays. I just moved to the UK from CH, and ok, I don't know all retailers, but it seems those kind of devices are all just sold online. I'll stick to the reviews for now!
Is there a Walmart near you? They carry kobo.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
there are no walmarts in the UK!

try John Lewis
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Even though Walmart "carries" Kobos, I don't believe there has been a single report of any model other than the Aura 2nd Ed being on display? So unless one is planning on buying both and returning one...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Having owned 6" readers and tried larger readers, I stuck the 6" readers.

YMMV
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
WH Smiths stock them.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote