Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #31
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
No problems.
Thanks a lot. Appreciate the prompt response.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #32
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What is Catalina?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #33
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
What is Catalina?
Mac OS 10.15, the latest Mac OS release.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #34
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well after having spent some time going over the 85 32-bit apps on my MacBook Pro, it is apparent that the vast majority are from Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, and Sony.

Adobe 32-bit files seem to be mostly connected with the older stand-alone apps like Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 6. I certainly hope my Adobe CC will work correctly if I upgrade to Catalina. Surely Adobe has upgraded everything necessary to work in 64-bit environment. I checked and the PS CS6 app is 64-bit. But another thing to research before deciding on whether to upgrade. I use the CC subscription, but I keep the PS CS6 and LR 6 apps just in case Adobe raises the subscription rates too high.

Apple has quite a few 32-bit apps. I assume those go away and/or get replaced with Catalina. One would hope anyway.

Microsoft has nearly as many 32-bit apps as Adobe, but they are mostly connected to the old Office for Mac 2011 I’ve got installed. That is the latest Office I’ve got. I only use the Excel app, so I need to transition into OpenOffice and Numbers. I’m and old Excel user from way back, so I really don’t want to, but I see no other choice if I upgrade to Catalina. I’ve installed Office for Mac 2011 on my Mac mini running High Sierra so I will still have that capability if I want to use it.

The Sony 32-bit apps are all related to the PlayMemories Home apps that accompany my Sony cameras. I have installed these on my Mac mini now. I rarely use them. Sony posted a notice that basically said they have no intention of EVER releasing them as 64-bit and therefore they are discontinuing them after March 2020. Thanks Sony, you bleeping bleeps! Oh well not really that big of a deal since I rarely use them anyway and there are 3rd party apps that do what they do.

Most of the rest of the 32-bit apps except for Nebulosity 3.x were apps I rarely used and don’t need, so they got deleted from my MacBook Pro and the ones I use and want got installed on my Mac mini so I can use them them on it.

BTW, I found the freeware app EasyFind (see App Store) to be very useful in tracking down a lot of these 32-bit apps that were not located in the Application folder. I got the file name from the About This Mac --> System Reports --> Applications report, then entered it in EasyFind and it found where they were. I then deleted the ones I wanted to get rid of.

Still not sure if I'll upgrade to Catalina, but it was good to go through and delete a lot of the old 32-bit stuff I don’t need or want. I’ve been needed to do that bit of housekeeping for a long time!

One of the Catalina features I was a little interested in won’t work with my MacBook Pro 2014. Although my iPad Pro qualifies to work as a secondary screen, Apple chose to exclude my MacBook Pro model from the list of qualifying Macs, so I’m pretty much SOL with that feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MacBook-Pro-32-bit-apps-list-part-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	174133   Click image for larger version

Name:	MacBook-Pro-32-bit-apps-list-part-2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1,001.4 KB
ID:	174134  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Well after having spent some time going over the 85 32-bit apps on my MacBook Pro, it is apparent that the vast majority are from Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, and Sony.

Adobe 32-bit files seem to be mostly connected with the older stand-alone apps like Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 6. I certainly hope my Adobe CC will work correctly if I upgrade to Catalina. Surely Adobe has upgraded everything necessary to work in 64-bit environment. I checked and the PS CS6 app is 64-bit. But another thing to research before deciding on whether to upgrade. I use the CC subscription, but I keep the PS CS6 and LR 6 apps just in case Adobe raises the subscription rates too high.

Apple has quite a few 32-bit apps. I assume those go away and/or get replaced with Catalina. One would hope anyway.

Microsoft has nearly as many 32-bit apps as Adobe, but they are mostly connected to the old Office for Mac 2011 I’ve got installed. That is the latest Office I’ve got. I only use the Excel app, so I need to transition into OpenOffice and Numbers. I’m and old Excel user from way back, so I really don’t want to, but I see no other choice if I upgrade to Catalina. I’ve installed Office for Mac 2011 on my Mac mini running High Sierra so I will still have that capability if I want to use it.

The Sony 32-bit apps are all related to the PlayMemories Home apps that accompany my Sony cameras. I have installed these on my Mac mini now. I rarely use them. Sony posted a notice that basically said they have no intention of EVER releasing them as 64-bit and therefore they are discontinuing them after March 2020. Thanks Sony, you bleeping bleeps! Oh well not really that big of a deal since I rarely use them anyway and there are 3rd party apps that do what they do.

Most of the rest of the 32-bit apps except for Nebulosity 3.x were apps I rarely used and don’t need, so they got deleted from my MacBook Pro and the ones I use and want got installed on my Mac mini so I can use them them on it.

BTW, I found the freeware app EasyFind (see App Store) to be very useful in tracking down a lot of these 32-bit apps that were not located in the Application folder. I got the file name from the About This Mac --> System Reports --> Applications report, then entered it in EasyFind and it found where they were. I then deleted the ones I wanted to get rid of.

Still not sure if I'll upgrade to Catalina, but it was good to go through and delete a lot of the old 32-bit stuff I don’t need or want. I’ve been needed to do that bit of housekeeping for a long time!

One of the Catalina features I was a little interested in won’t work with my MacBook Pro 2014. Although my iPad Pro qualifies to work as a secondary screen, Apple chose to exclude my MacBook Pro model from the list of qualifying Macs, so I’m pretty much SOL with that feature.
Office 365 for OS X has a 64-bit version. So you cannot complain about Microsoft not supporting Catalina. If you decide to run older versions, then it's you who is preventing the upgrade.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #36
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Office 365 for OS X has a 64-bit version. So you cannot complain about Microsoft not supporting Catalina. If you decide to run older versions, then it's you who is preventing the upgrade.
I wasn’t complaining, I was merely stating the facts about Microsoft having a poop load of 32-bit apps on my computer. Don’t put words in my mouth. As far as renting Office 365 goes, when hell freezes over and not before. Maybe someday I’ll buy the Office Home 2019 if/when I can afford it. It costs about the same as renting 365 for a single year, but I could use it for as long as I want to. I only use Excel. I wished they still sold it separately.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Just of note....Office 365 is a terrific deal. I never thought I’d say that about a Msft product. I had hit my limit on free Dropbox and went looking around before signing up for $100 a year.

For that same money...there is a family subscription of Office365. 5 of everything. 5 OneDrive accounts each with a terabyte of storage. 5 OneNote...,no need to pay for Ever note. And...5 copies of office to load on 2 computers each. Oh...and Office365 via a browser like Google Docs...only compatible with Msft office products.

In fact....you can simultaneously edit a document in Excel on your laptop and via Excel in a browser. Or word. Or PowerPoint. My kids were so happy to get “real office” after having to settle for OpenOffice for most of their childhood.

While the “Word” portion of OpenOffice is fairly equivalent...the spreadsheet and presentation software is nowhere close to being as good. IMHO
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

One should never depend on Sony software on the mac. Calibre exists because sony software on the mac is so bad. The good news is that Photo recognizes most Sony cameras. It recognizes my Sony Alpha. I would tell you which model, but I've got a kitten snoozing in my lap.

Most of my 32 bit software was old versions of Adobe. I really liked Photoshop but then Adobe went in a different direction. I'm still looking for the perfect photo library and editing software for a half baked amateur photographer like myself.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #39
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One should never depend on Sony software on the mac. Calibre exists because sony software on the mac is so bad. The good news is that Photo recognizes most Sony cameras. It recognizes my Sony Alpha. I would tell you which model, but I've got a kitten snoozing in my lap.

Most of my 32 bit software was old versions of Adobe. I really liked Photoshop but then Adobe went in a different direction. I'm still looking for the perfect photo library and editing software for a half baked amateur photographer like myself.
I only use Sony PlayMemories for getting the videos off the camera/card. I’ve got an a7 mark 1, a6000, and a RX100 III. The a7 uses the Sony AVCHD standard rather than MPEG which makes it a bit of a PITA to work with. Sony PlayMemories Does a good job of converting those to MPEGs. I’ll check out Photos, but I’m not a big fan of it. I doubt it will work well, if at all, with Sony AVCHD though. The other two cameras can use MPEG in camera so no issue with them. Photos are easy to just copy to my MacBook Pro and deal with the RAW.

I resisted the Adobe PS and LR CC subscription for a few years, but once they decreased the fee to $10/month it became a good deal because I use both apps nearly every day. I’ve used PS and LR for so many years that I’ve got my workflow down to a science—literally. I’ve tried other apps but nothing gives me the turn key ability for astrophotography like PS and LR. I keep hoping someday some other company will release a competitive product at a reasonable price (not subscription) so I can say goodbye to bloated Adobe apps.

MS subscriptions though would be a colossal waste because I use Excel maybe 20 minutes a week at most and don’t use the other apps at all. OpenOffice is not that great and Numbers just blows chunks! I should be able to use it on my Mac mini w/o much inconvenience. I have used MS Office apps professionally since the 1980s, and that is one software area wherein MS blows away the competition. With over 30 years of experience they should be good, and they are. But $100/year to use excel a few minutes each week is not worth the money.

I saw on the Amcrest support website that they are working to release a 64-bit version of their surveillance software for Mac, so until then I can use it on the Mac mini if I upgrade my MacBook Pro.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-10-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ditto on Office 365 as a great deal. I mostly want it for cloud storage. For Home plan you can have up to 6 people, each can install on all devices and be signed in on up to 5 at the same time; 1TB for each person, 60 minutes of Skype per month. $99/year. Split the cost with some friends!

I’m a little unclear what they mean by ‘devices’ — thought I read somewhere that there was something about screen size over 10” so that would include iPad Pro and the new iPad, which is slightly over that. As it is my mini does not show up as one of my Devices, and my iPad Air 2 before that did not show up either. I’ll have to try my iPad Pro to check this.

However after replacing hard drive on my 2009 MacBook Pro with SSD, stuck on El Capitan, I was not able to install older version, though was able to download the installer. But install failed. It was working prior to that, though not getting updates. Haven’t contacted MS to see if there’s anything to be done, or tried copying over from the HD. The new battery I put in died after a couple of months, & still haven’t contacted the seller about replacement. Another project I don’t have time for...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:45 AM   #41
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I forgot to mention the Office for devices in addition to office on computers and office in the cloud....plus outlook, onenote and 1tb of OneDrive. My sister and I split the cost. She and her husband get office and me and my daughters share 3
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I only use Sony PlayMemories for getting the videos off the camera/card. I’ve got an a7 mark 1, a6000, and a RX100 III. The a7 uses the Sony AVCHD standard rather than MPEG which makes it a bit of a PITA to work with. Sony PlayMemories Does a good job of converting those to MPEGs. I’ll check out Photos, but I’m not a big fan of it. I doubt it will work well, if at all, with Sony AVCHD though. The other two cameras can use MPEG in camera so no issue with them. Photos are easy to just copy to my MacBook Pro and deal with the RAW.

I resisted the Adobe PS and LR CC subscription for a few years, but once they decreased the fee to $10/month it became a good deal because I use both apps nearly every day. I’ve used PS and LR for so many years that I’ve got my workflow down to a science—literally. I’ve tried other apps but nothing gives me the turn key ability for astrophotography like PS and LR. I keep hoping someday some other company will release a competitive product at a reasonable price (not subscription) so I can say goodbye to bloated Adobe apps.

MS subscriptions though would be a colossal waste because I use Excel maybe 20 minutes a week at most and don’t use the other apps at all. OpenOffice is not that great and Numbers just blows chunks! I should be able to use it on my Mac mini w/o much inconvenience. I have used MS Office apps professionally since the 1980s, and that is one software area wherein MS blows away the competition. With over 30 years of experience they should be good, and they are. But $100/year to use excel a few minutes each week is not worth the money.

I saw on the Amcrest support website that they are working to release a 64-bit version of their surveillance software for Mac, so until then I can use it on the Mac mini if I upgrade my MacBook Pro.
I've got the Sony Alpha A6000. My usage is more an occasional thing rather than an every day thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #43
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The trouble is that the current application suites from companies like Microsoft and Adobe rely on a subscription model. You can’t just BUY a license for these products anymore, like you could with the older versions.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #44
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The trouble is that the current application suites from companies like Microsoft and Adobe rely on a subscription model. You can’t just BUY a license for these products anymore, like you could with the older versions.
I don't know about Adobe, but you absolutely can by a single license for Microsoft Office. See "Office Home & Student 2019": https://products.office.com/en-us/co...=tab:primaryr1

But the single license doesn't include OneDrive (which you can purchase a subscription to separately).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #45
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
What version of ADE runs on Catalina? I expect I’ll get the upgrade notification when I get home tomorrow, and given the issues around K4Mac I may switch my ebook purchasing to Kobo for a while...

Alternatively, I’ve got my old iMac (El Capitan) as a networked machine; can I run 32 bit apps over the network? Mind you, the K4Mac 1.19 is flaky on that but I’m considering reverting to Snow Leopard to keep some Rossetta apps going.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote