Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
LyrasDeamon
LyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: none
Looking to upgrade from my Kindle 4th generation

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for the right e-reader for me. I currently use a Kindle 4th gen with the page turn buttons and I’ve got the screensaver mod on it. I’d like a comfort light, Adobe digital edition functionality, reading stats and font and margin customisation and yes, book covers as screensavers.

My research has pointed me towards the Kobo Aura H20 or the InkPad3 but I also can’t stop eyeing up the paperwhite (it’s on sale!) or the Oasis (so pretty even though the shape looks odd to me).

Which ereader would you recommend? For some reason I feel worried about leaving the Amazon ecosystem even though my books come from lots of different places and always have. I’ve heard Kobos are unreliable and that puts me off because I want something that works and will let me customise it but won’t cause me any trouble. I love goodreads so would love a newer kindle for that but I can’t give up the book cover screensavers and I don’t want to pay Oasis money JUST for a warm light. I’m erring towards the kobo but I’m not sure!
LyrasDeamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Since you don’t seem to be tied irrevocably to the Amazon ecosystem, Either switching to a Pocketbook like the InkPad 3 or any Kobo will hit all your desired must haves.

You don’t mention it, but you may also want to take a glance at the recently released Kobo Libra. Based on your choices you seem to looking at 7 or 8 inch devices.

I’m a bit unsure what you mean when you refer to Kobo unreliability...Unreliable how?
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
After having been a Kindle user for several years and several versions, I switched to a Kobo Clara about a year ago, and loved it so much I promptly upsized to and Aura H2O2 about 6 weeks later. I am very happy with my H2O2 and would be interested to know what you mean by Kobo's "unreliability". It seems they did have some issues with the Forma when first released, and possibly also with their very latest release, the Libra. In the case of the Forma, those issues have apparently been sorted out, and the overall balance of reports on the Libra is very positive - enough so to make me start saving up to replace my H2O2, by which time the teething troubles will hopefully have been fixed on it as well. I am very, very happy to be free of Amazon's much more strongly walled garden, and I doubt you would regret making the switch.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
LyrasDeamon
LyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
Since you don’t seem to be tied irrevocably to the Amazon ecosystem, Either switching to a Pocketbook like the InkPad 3 or any Kobo will hit all your desired must haves.

You don’t mention it, but you may also want to take a glance at the recently released Kobo Libra. Based on your choices you seem to looking at 7 or 8 inch devices.

I’m a bit unsure what you mean when you refer to Kobo unreliability...Unreliable how?
Thank you I suppose I mean the issues with lag and light flickering/uneven light I’ve heard about? I’ve never even held a Kobo so this is all hearsay! But I google it and just see people complaining about various things and it really puts me off!

I looked at the Kobo Libra and I really like it, thank you! The Kobo Aura H20 is the one I meant to mention in my OP.

I quite like my 6 inch kindle screen at the moment as it’s pocketable but my eyesight isn’t amazing so I’d definitely welcome an extra inch or two.

I hope this helps, thank you again!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Similar to Uncle Robin, I was a Kindle user for years--started with a Kindle Keyboard. I decided to try a Clara HD, and liked it. Now have a Forma as well--and a Mini I bought off shopgoodwill. Since I liked them, and was now in the adventurous mode after breaking from Amazon, I went wild and also bought a Pocketbook Touch HD3. Yes, I'm one of those people that have a device everywhere.

I primarily read the Touch HD3 @night, and the Clara HD during the day (just because of what rooms they are in, but could swap them and it wouldn't make a difference to me). I do like the mini for out and about, but I'll also slip the Touch HD3 or Clara HD into a pocket as well.

I haven't (yet) determined that I need a 7" or 8" device for day to day. I don't pick up the Forma as much as I thought I would. But if you need the extra screen real estate, I can't say which 'one' would be better for you, the Pocketbook Inkbook, or Kobo Libra or Aura H2O are all about that size. And would all on the surface fulfill your needs for software.

Maybe it'll boil down to service or returns? "if" you were to have issues with a device, and it's within warranty return period, would it be easier to return a Pocketbook type, or a Kobo type? (does that even matter to you). Is it interesting/more important to you to have the Kobo community (like the forum here for Kobo), or more important to you to have some of the features a Pocketbook has (which you don't mention as important to you now... but once you have them, might be cool to have)?

Lighting on a kobo device--I never had any issues with mine.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
LyrasDeamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
Similar to Uncle Robin, I was a Kindle user for years--started with a Kindle Keyboard. I decided to try a Clara HD, and liked it. Now have a Forma as well--and a Mini I bought off shopgoodwill. Since I liked them, and was now in the adventurous mode after breaking from Amazon, I went wild and also bought a Pocketbook Touch HD3. Yes, I'm one of those people that have a device everywhere.

I primarily read the Touch HD3 @night, and the Clara HD during the day (just because of what rooms they are in, but could swap them and it wouldn't make a difference to me). I do like the mini for out and about, but I'll also slip the Touch HD3 or Clara HD into a pocket as well.

I haven't (yet) determined that I need a 7" or 8" device for day to day. I don't pick up the Forma as much as I thought I would. But if you need the extra screen real estate, I can't say which 'one' would be better for you, the Pocketbook Inkbook, or Kobo Libra or Aura H2O are all about that size. And would all on the surface fulfill your needs for software.

Maybe it'll boil down to service or returns? "if" you were to have issues with a device, and it's within warranty return period, would it be easier to return a Pocketbook type, or a Kobo type? (does that even matter to you). Is it interesting/more important to you to have the Kobo community (like the forum here for Kobo), or more important to you to have some of the features a Pocketbook has (which you don't mention as important to you now... but once you have them, might be cool to have)?

Lighting on a kobo device--I never had any issues with mine.
Very good shout to think about returns, I might order from John Lewis or Argos and get a three year warranty as well just to be sure!

I think I’ve decided on the Kobo Libre H20! I’d like to make changes to it and get a bit better at modifying it into what I want but I also don’t feel like I’ll have to do much with this! Thank you all so much! If you own a Libre, please give me your thoughts! I’m really excited to start saving for it, I’m hoping there’ll be some pre Christmas sales so I can get myself a present haha
Old 09-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrasDeamon View Post
Thank you I suppose I mean the issues with lag and light flickering/uneven light I’ve heard about?
Some Kobos have had uneven light issues (as have some Kindles). With any ereaders I'd recommend buying it from somewhere local you can easily exchange if possible.

If by "flickering" you mean the pulse width modulation that a tiny minority of people bang on about, the answer is simple: high frequency PWM is a non issue. If people weren't telling you the device had it, you would never know. If you mean the black flash you get with a full eink screen refresh, that happens with all eink, and full refresh frequency is configurable.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I would recommend the Clara HD because it offers everything that you're looking for at the lowest price. The only issue I had with it is some flashlighting, which I've read was fixed with later productions.

I've owned many Kobos. I've had the Glo fail due to the battery, but all other models I've had lasted years without any issues. They are quite reliable.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@LyrasDeamon have you decided which Kobo you want? If I was buying a new Kobo, I would go with either the Libra H2O or the Forma. The Libra has a 7" screen and the format has an 8" screen. The Forma's screen is plastic backed and the Libra's screen is glass backed.

Both are good devices. It really depends on if you want 8" or 7". But in either case, I think you'll like them better then a 6" screen. I have the Kobo Aura H2O and it has a 6.8" screen and I like it much better then a 6" screen.

Both fit your wish list with buttons, Comfortlight, ADE, and better UI then the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 AM   #10
LyrasDeamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@LyrasDeamon have you decided which Kobo you want? If I was buying a new Kobo, I would go with either the Libra H2O or the Forma. The Libra has a 7" screen and the format has an 8" screen. The Forma's screen is plastic backed and the Libra's screen is glass backed.

Both are good devices. It really depends on if you want 8" or 7". But in either case, I think you'll like them better then a 6" screen. I have the Kobo Aura H2O and it has a 6.8" screen and I like it much better then a 6" screen.

Both fit your wish list with buttons, Comfortlight, ADE, and better UI then the Kindle.
Hiya, decided to go with the Libra H20 in the end!! I don’t think ADE will work with my library in actuality as we use BorrowBox rather than Overdrive which means I’ll keep having to work around it but even without that functionality, I think it will serve me better than my kindle. Thank you for the information
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrasDeamon View Post
Hiya, decided to go with the Libra H20 in the end!! I don’t think ADE will work with my library in actuality as we use BorrowBox rather than Overdrive which means I’ll keep having to work around it but even without that functionality, I think it will serve me better than my kindle. Thank you for the information
You can download from BorrowBox to ADE and then go from there to your Kobo. have a read of what to do at...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...piqciFnUgwxqwq
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, which e-reader to get