Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old Today, 12:36 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
One of the reasons I still pay for cable is the whole house dvr. I record up to 6 shows at once. I almost never watch anything live...I even wait an hour or so before watching sports so I an ff through the commercials.

I thought streaming was synonamous with "binge watching". I can't imagine having to go back and watch a show at a particular time. Or watch commercials.
Same here. I wouldn't have switched to pure streaming except the local cable company didn't carry the channel my favorite team was on. I really miss Tivo.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #32
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Same here. I wouldn't have switched to pure streaming except the local cable company didn't carry the channel my favorite team was on. I really miss Tivo.
If it were JUST me, I'd cut the chord. But my wife really likes sports. Baseball, Hockey, college basket ball. We both love the NFL. I like the NBA (at times) and love Tennis. The Summer Olympics are coming next year.

But I could give them up (I think). Streaming still isn't easy enough to match the cable tv experience. I'm techie enough, but my family isn't.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #33
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
First of all, you can’t go by what your clocks say the time is, even if your household, and/or internet calibrated clocks, are synced to atomic clocks for more accurate time keeping. Your internet service provider has their clocks set, but who knows whether those are truly accurate, and that internet time shown by your network provider often gets propagated to devices like streaming boxes and cable boxes, etc. But again that is not a true measure of any delay. A better way is to turn on a local network TV channel you are receiving OTA and side by side use your cable/streaming service provider to view the same channel. You might be surprised that the latter is delayed by many seconds or even more. Another reason not to trust your clocks is that some channels, especially local ones, start their programming whenever they want to. Some in my area try to get the jump on other stations and actually start broadcasting a minute or more before the half hour or full hour. Our ABC affiliate is bad about that. If I’m watching a show finish up on say CBS then switch to ABC for the local news I’ll likely miss the first 30 seconds or more. So if you want to check if there is a delay between OTA broadcasting and your cable/satellite/streaming service then you need to do a side by side viewing. BTW, I’ve noticed at least a little delay in every cable/satellite service I had in the past. It was usually just a few seconds. But my Hulu service is between 1 and 2 minutes delayed. When I trialed DirecTV Now and Sling they were delayed too, but I can’t remember by how long. Again this doesn’t really affect anything unless you are watching live sports or something similar, and even then it doesn't matter unless you can hear your neighbors reacting to sports plays many seconds before you understand why. with Hulu Live TV I’ve grown accustomed to looking for a time that is 1 minute beyond the half hour or full hour to indicate the start of a new show. With Hulu Live TV I know that shows will start at XX:01 or XX:31 (or later) due to the delay. No big deal, you get used to it after a while. However, it an screw up recording time though by chopping off the ending to shows on occasion, but that is rare since most shows actually end a minute or two before the next one begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Dude, you're right. There is this big clock conspiracy perpetrated by the Illuminate!

My phone says the time (internet, I assume). My microwave says the time (non internet). My oven says the time (non internet). My wall clock says the time (non internet). My local news (through Youtube TV) says the time. And guess what. They are all in sync, within 1 minute, for probably over six months (we do occasionally lose power).

Lucky, I don't have screaming sports watching friends in the next room, so whatever unnoticeable delay there is acceptable to me.

YMMV
OtinG, my apologies. I just tried comparing the OTA to my YouTube TV, and there is a significant difference; I'm guessing ~30 seconds.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:16 PM   #34
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I've watched the first 5 episodes of SEE....it's an entertaining show. Not as good as Game of Thrones....but better than a lot of Tv. Will continue watching this series.

Watched the first two episodes of For All Mankind. The topic was interesting but the episodes were really sleepy. I watched the third episode and they really turned it around. Very good has me on the edge of my seat to watch the next.

Because of the "one episode a week" delivery...these shows are filler for me. What I'll watch when I've caught up with all my other shows. I prefer binge watching when I'm streaming.

It's not like these Apple shows are going to be all I watch. But I'll probably get around to watching them all over time. The Morning Show looks good to me as does Dickenson. I'm actually saving Dickenson to be a show to watch with one of my daughters.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote