Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
PSA: update blocker does not work for 5.12.x

After years of rumors that did not pan out, the update blocker does not work for firmware 5.12.x

NiLuJe has confirmed that it is forcibly removed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=477

The wording of that post may look vague, but that is just his style.

More elaborate confirmation intermixed in the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321617
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
To be clear: I've confirmed nothing. I *strongly suspect* that they didn't just add code to do just that just for the fun of it .

But I'm still personally happily running 5.9.7 on my final Amazon device, and enjoying not having to deal with this crap on my Kobos, so, what do I know .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-19-2019 at 07:10 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
To be clear: I've confirmed nothing. I *strongly suspect* that they didn't just add code to do just that just for the fun of it .

But I'm still personally happily running 5.9.7 on my final Amazon device, and enjoying not having to deal with this crap on my Kobos, so, what do I know .
Thanks for the clarification.

So I guess we do not yet have total confirmation. I guess it is possible that this is test code that only gets enabled if something like RELEASE_THE_HOUNDS is present, but people might want to consider the possibility it is live now.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can confirm that the blocking directory no longer works for me at all. I've had the Wifi off for the past two weeks, and when I turned it back on this morning, my Oasis updated almost immediately.
OK, so the update blocker works on KOA3 5.12.0 at the cost of rapidly draining the battery, but does not work after update to 5.12.1

Is there any other device 5.12.x combination that the update blocker works on?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
OK, so the update blocker works on KOA3 5.12.0 at the cost of rapidly draining the battery, but does not work after update to 5.12.1

Is there any other device 5.12.x combination that the update blocker works on?
There is no KOA3. There is no KOA2. There is no KOA. There is no Kindle with those initials.There is a KO, KO2, and KO3. But as for KOA, there never was such a model.

And as has been said many times by different people, never buy a Kindle if you cannot or will not use it with the stock firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no KOA3. There is no KOA2. There is no KOA. There is no Kindle with those initials.There is a KO, KO2, and KO3. But as for KOA, there never was such a model.
You are not now, and never have been, the arbiter of kindle model nomenclature.

Quote:
And as has been said many times by different people, never buy a Kindle if you cannot or will not use it with the stock firmware.
Oh, but the update blocker is, among other things, for those that want to stick with the stock firmware.

And many people have been quite pleased using kindles with modified firmware.

And many people are about sharing information and ensuring that the information is precise and accurrate, not about [s]telling[/s] ordering people what to do.

Please take topics not related to which device / 5.12.x combinations the update blocker works / does not work to SOME OTHER THREAD
Old 11-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
You are not now, and never have been, the arbiter of kindle model nomenclature.

Oh, but the update blocker is, among other things, for those that want to stick with the stock firmware.

And many people have been quite pleased using kindles with modified firmware.

And many people are about sharing information and ensuring that the information is precise and accurrate, not about [s]telling[/s] ordering people what to do.

Please take topics not related to which device / 5.12.x combinations the update blocker works / does not work to SOME OTHER THREAD
Thank you.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
From what I've read, the firmware update blocker does not work with 5.12.1. Is this correct?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
From what I've read, the firmware update blocker does not work with 5.12.1. Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct for some, and possibly all, kindle models.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Also of note is the change of other update code changes. At least I noted it on my KOA2 going from 5.12.1 to 5.12.2. No, it was not a failed update blocker, as I am not using an update blocker. So cannot confirm that it for sure doesn't work on the first 7" Oasis. What I noticed is a check of an existing update download when turning off airplane mode. My Kindle asked that an update was available, and if I wanted to update now. Don't recall ever seeing that before.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Also of note is the change of other update code changes. At least I noted it on my KOA2 going from 5.12.1 to 5.12.2. No, it was not a failed update blocker, as I am not using an update blocker. So cannot confirm that it for sure doesn't work on the first 7" Oasis. What I noticed is a check of an existing update download when turning off airplane mode. My Kindle asked that an update was available, and if I wanted to update now. Don't recall ever seeing that before.
One of my Voyages did that, (no update blocker) but I think it was because it's a 3G model, and I wasn't connected to wi-fi at the time. I don't remember seeing that message on any of my other devices, including my other Voyage, which is wi-fi only.

What it actually says is:

Quote:
"Update Available

A free update is available for your Kindle. To receive the update, connect to a Wi-Fi network"

It gives the options of "NOT NOW" and "TURN ON WI-FI"
I chose "NOT NOW". I then connected to my home wi-fi network. After a few minutes, a new message appeared:

Quote:
"Update Available

A free update is available for your Kindle. You can either restart your Kindle to install the update immediately or wait for the update to be installed automatically when your device is in Sleep Mode"

Choices are "NOT NOW" and "RESTART"
I was able to connect the Voyage to my computer and delete the file. I'll let it sit connected to wi-fi for a while longer and see if either the message re-appears or if it updates automatically.

Shari
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
One of my Voyages did that, (no update blocker) but I think it was because it's a 3G model, and I wasn't connected to wi-fi at the time. I don't remember seeing that message on any of my other devices, including my other Voyage, which is wi-fi only.

What it actually says is:

I chose "NOT NOW". I then connected to my home wi-fi network. After a few minutes, a new message appeared:

I was able to connect the Voyage to my computer and delete the file. I'll let it sit connected to wi-fi for a while longer and see if either the message re-appears or if it updates automatically.

Shari
Thank you for clarifying. I believe the message I got was the 2nd one, after it was already downloaded over wifi. My Kindle it happened to is the 4G Oasis2, but since I synced within wifi range it never showed the first message. The popup came exactly when I hit the airplane mode. Might have just been coincidence, and the popup would have showed up anyway.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I believe the message I got was the 2nd one, after it was already downloaded over wifi. My Kindle it happened to is the 4G Oasis2, but since I synced within wifi range it never showed the first message. The popup came exactly when I hit the airplane mode. Might have just been coincidence, and the popup would have showed up anyway.
Just as an update, I left the device connected to wi-fi, and it did eventually update automatically. So removing the update file before it the update completes won't stop it for long either. It looks like if you want to block updates you either have to keep it in airplane mode all the time, or get a 3g/4g model and never connect it to wi-fi.

Shari