Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #541
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...Amazon has managed to improve the frontlight of Kindles, so it's not impossible.
To me, that seals it right there. Kobo needs to do better.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #542
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
What I would say about this is that the Forma and the Libra are the problem, not so much Kobo.

I’m interested to see if they get better with their lighting on their next revisions of these very thin one handed devices where all the technology appears to be in the handle and grip. That design aesthetic is the common element with these two devices and they are the only two that have screen irregularities of any magnitude in the Kobo family (to my knowledge)
I think it has more to do with the large screens than the one handed design. The Aura One and Forma seem to be getting the most complaints about lighting.

The Clara had completely separate issues that was a Kobo QC problem (not enough blackout take was used around the screen, causing the light bleed). It was fixable by users, but shouldn't have happened in the first place.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #543
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That said, Amazon has managed to improve the frontlight of Kindles, so it's not impossible.
This definitely plays a role in why I'm so disappointed in the Libra screens I've seen so far. I have a Voyage and an Oasis and the screens are just so much better. It's hard for me to not keep comparing them to any Kobo I get.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #544
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
This definitely plays a role in why I'm so disappointed in the Libra screens I've seen so far. I have a Voyage and an Oasis and the screens are just so much better. It's hard for me to not keep comparing them to any Kobo I get.
...and I’m testing a Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8” right now and its screen is bloody gorgeous, including with the night (orange) light on.

Kobo really stands out, alone, with their screen/lighting issues.
It’s really unfortunate given how great the rest of the Kobo package is.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 AM   #545
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
To me, that seals it right there. Kobo needs to do better.
To be fair, there are also ongoing threads complaining about uneven lighting on the new Kindle Oasis 2.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #546
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
To be fair, there are also ongoing threads complaining about uneven lighting on the new Kindle Oasis 2.
That's true, but the Libras I've seen all had a worse gradient than the Oases I've seen. So even with a light gradient the Oasis does better than the Libra. Or so I've seen. (5 Libras, 4 Oases)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #547
SusanReads
Addict

I don't know if you can properly see in the pic. The camera on my phone compensates a lot. The screen looks more yellow in the pic, but it was pretty green.

Also when I view this picture on my phone it looks worse (more realistic), than on my laptop screen. On my laptop I can hardly see that the Libra screen is green at all, even though it really was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_103940.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	766.5 KB
ID:	174793  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #548
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
That's true, but the Libras I've seen all had a worse gradient than the Oases I've seen. So even with a light gradient the Oasis does better than the Libra. Or so I've seen. (5 Libras, 4 Oases)
And while I'm not pooh-poohing those who, like you, found the Libra screen unacceptable as that's an entirely individual judgment, I continue to be perplexed by those who leave price entirely out of these comparisons. The Oasis without ads (and I wouldn't want ads on a premium device) costs $100 more in the US than the Libra. That is not a trivial sum. You could pick up a Clara on sale for that and have two, literally, for the price of one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #549
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And while I'm not pooh-poohing those who, like you, found the Libra screen unacceptable as that's an entirely individual judgment, I continue to be perplexed by those who leave price entirely out of these comparisons. The Oasis without ads (and I wouldn't want ads on a premium device) costs $100 more in the US than the Libra. That is not a trivial sum. You could pick up a Clara on sale for that and have two, literally, for the price of one.
The difference is €50 here ($55), so while it is still a lot, not as much as in the US.

But I'm one of those who doesn't care about the price. I'm willing to pay a lot for the perfect e-reader. Not because I'm rich, but because I'm willing to save to buy something I will cherish for the next few years.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #550
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The difference is €50 here ($55), so while it is still a lot, not as much as in the US.

But I'm one of those who doesn't care about the price. I'm willing to pay a lot for the perfect e-reader. Not because I'm rich, but because I'm willing to save to buy something I will cherish for the next few years.
I have no issue with individual buying decisions, it's just that as I said, I think price is left out of the equation far too often when comparisons are made. It's not just this thread or this issue, either.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #551
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Yes, and this is where it all comes down to personal opinion.

What's the most important thing? The lighting, features, size, shape, material, formats supported, how modifiable it is?

None of these is wrong, and all of them are going to be of different levels of importance.

Then there's also how sensitive people are to the issues. I've said it before I don't really notice the lighting issues on my Forma, it's there sure, but it's hardly a game breaker for me. Especially as I prefer the inverted mode (white text on black) which further reduces it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #552
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
The price difference between the Oasis 3 (no ads) and the Libra here is 70€, weird that it is different in the Netherlands. They don't offer the Oasis + ads though, probably because they're not very popular (too expensive).

Anyway, we've established that people see things differently and have wildly different opinions about what they see, which is totally fine. We've also established that there are clearly a number of devices that have issues (see the green hue thing in particular). Personally, I think it would be nice if we could respect that and not make any kind of assumptions about each other's statements, especially considering that very few of us have uploaded pictures, and that those who have have reported that the issues do not show as clearly as they do in real life. We can either believe each other or not.

By the way, I have tried taking pictures of mine, but they look weird, and I guess my cheap smartphone's camera isn't up to the task if anyone is interested, the light of my white Libra looks pretty much identical to the one being reviewed in this video (that I also posted at the very beginning of the thread - sorry, not in English). People are free to make their own assumptions and decide if that's good or not for them, and if they want to risk a purchase.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #553
Izalith6
Izalith6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One Limited Edition, Libra
Just received my Libra! Screen doesn't look green as others have said, but I have the white model. The backlight is a bit uneven, it's darker towards the grip side of the eReader, but I'm just thinking of it the way the curve of a book will effect the amount of light on the page it's not bothering me yet. My Aura One Limited Edition does have a better screen, blacks seem blacker which makes it easier to read with a dim backlight, making it easier in the eyes. The Libra however is much more responsive, ergonomic, and light weight. I'm not sure if I'll be able to adjust to the smaller screen, I like reading a large font. Overall I'm impressed with the Libra considering the price point.
Izalith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #554
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izalith6 View Post
My Aura One Limited Edition does have a better screen, blacks seem blacker which makes it easier to read with a dim backlight, making it easier in the eyes.
This can be fixed by using a dark custom font and the advanced font control patch, which allows to adjust the weight of custom fonts. For example, DejaVu Serif Eink and LexiaDama are dark fonts with very good contrast.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #555
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
Quote:

This is quite natural, as the illumination distribution of the Mobius screens is more even than the reader without (recessed screen) the front glass.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 11-12-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote