Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
yup...what I said...lol

I still have the question: 'Where are you going to use class="copy" anywhere else in your epub other than in your <div class="copy">???'

You could certainly use the name somewhere else, but then the class name wouldn't make sense. So you could reduce your css a bit into:

Code:
p {
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}

div.copy p {
  text-indent: 0;
  font-size: small;
  margin-top: 0.8em;
}
Slight mistake. There should be no margin-top in the div.copy p class. That would make the lines that should not have space between them have space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #32
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Also note that you can have multiple classes given in the class= thing in your html. I have common block stuff in the div.block css, then I have different classes for letter, verse, etc. In my html I then use div class="block letter". That way you can factor out the common/repeated stuff and put it in the div.block css.

One thing I've always wondered about is how doing it that way compares with using nested divs; e.g. a div class="block" and inside it a div class="letter". Nested divs seems to be more popular.

Last edited by hobnail; 07-27-2022 at 11:54 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2022, 03:13 AM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
One thing I've always wondered about is how doing it that way compares with using nested divs; e.g. a div class="block" and inside it a div class="letter".
If you specify text-indent in both classes, for instance, a nested div will add the indents, while a multi-class div will keep only the one with higher preference.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #34
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If you specify text-indent in both classes, for instance, a nested div will add the indents, while a multi-class div will keep only the one with higher preference.
Assuming I've done this correctly I'm seeing the inner div overriding the outer div. It was the same with indent2 specified as div.indent2. Regardless, the nested divs make it easier to figure out what's going on; no need to figure out if there's any precedence involved.

Anyhow, thanks; I'm glad to know that there is a difference.

Code:
.indent2 {
    text-indent: 2em;
}

div.indent1 {
    text-indent: 1em;
}
Code:
  <div class="indent2">
    <p><b>indent2</b> Dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.</p>
  </div>

<div class="indent2">
    <div class="indent1">
      <p><b>div indent2, div indent1</b> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
    </div>
  </div>

<div class="indent1">
    <div class="indent2">
  <p><b>div indent1, div indent2</b> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.</p>
    </div>
  </div>

<div class="indent2 indent1">
  <p><b>div indent2 indent1</b> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.</p>
</div>

<div class="indent1 indent2">
  <p><b>div indent1 indent2</b> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.</p>
</div>

Last edited by hobnail; 07-28-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:57 PM   #35
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I've seen nested divs used mostly in things like headers when they want an underline to match just the text in the div...or something similar. I usually delete all of that and use a simple header <h3> with the equivalent css to achieve the same result.

My css sheet might end up being slightly longer - some minimal duplication - but it makes it a lot easier for me to follow what is being done at each point. To each their own!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 04:47 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've seen nested divs used mostly in things like headers when they want an underline to match just the text in the div...or something similar. I usually delete all of that and use a simple header <h3> with the equivalent css to achieve the same result.

My css sheet might end up being slightly longer - some minimal duplication - but it makes it a lot easier for me to follow what is being done at each point. To each their own!
I agree. Most chapter headers don't need this extra code. Most chapter headers just need one line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:56 PM   #37
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Assuming I've done this correctly I'm seeing the inner div overriding the outer div.
Hmm... I guess I was thinking of margins instead of indents.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #38
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Hmm... I guess I was thinking of margins instead of indents.
Heh, that's exactly what I was wondering.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:24 PM   #39
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Warning - channeling my inner Tex here

Quote:
Personally, I prefer to be more specific in my CSS, so I know what each class is intended for, and if I later use <p class="copy"> or <em class="copy"> for something different, the generic ".copy" selector won't bite me in back.

Specificity is good.

Like you said, less chance of rogue errors biting you in the butt later.

(But if you keep your code very simple... there's little chance of complications happening anyway.)

If I do <div> and <p> with the same class names, I split it like:
  • <div class="copy">
    • Handles the surrounding "box"-specific stuff.
    • Like top/bottom/left/right margins.
  • <p class="copy">
    • Handles the text-specific stuff.
    • Like text-indent, text-align, font-size, [...].

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
In almost every epub that I play with, I see things like:
Code:
<br class="calibre1"/>
[...] But, what's the point? Is the class merely to set the size of the break inserted?
Completely depends on the file.

99% of the time, it's crap where the person pressed ENTER ENTER ENTER between paragraphs or did "forced line breaks" in their original document.

<1% of the time, it might be a valid use-case, where someone correctly used "soft breaks".

Valid Uses of Line Breaks?

Very few, if any.

Personally, I avoid almost all <br/>... but here's a few I'd put in the "maybe keep" category:

1. Multi-line Headings

Code:
<h2>Chapter 1:<br/>The Beginning</h2>
This allows:
  • 1st line = Chapter Number
  • 2nd line = Chapter Title

(See linked topic above for more details/tricks.)

2. Multi-line Attribution

Code:
<p>This is the best quote.</p>

<p class="attribution">—Tex the Great, <i>The Greatest Book Ever</i><br/>
(City: Publisher, 2022), pp. 123–456.</p>
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attribution.with.BR.png
Views:	75
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	195521

More readable since both lines are "similar length" + you can make skimming easy because:
  • 1st line = Author + Title
  • 2nd line = Publisher + Pages

3. Poetry

Code:
<p class="poem">This is a poem,<br/>
that continues<br/>
to a third line.</p>
Similar to what we just discussed yesterday in "Poetry Classes: Blockquote vs Div?". (Personally, I wouldn't use the <br/> method... but it is one valid way of doing it.)

4. Addresses

Code:
<p>Send your package to:</p>

<p>123 Main St.<br/>
City Name, ST<br/>
99999</p>
5. Table Headers (especially Units)

Code:
<table>
	<tr>
		<th>Really Long Name</th>
		<th>Long<br/>Distance<br/>(Miles)</th>
		<th>Cost<br/>per<br/>Mile<br/>($)</th>
		<th>Temperature<br/>(°F)</th>
	</tr>
	<tr>
		<td>Tex Example</td>
		<td>99.9</td>
		<td>2.22</td>
		<td>102.2</td>
	</tr>
</table>
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.with.BR.png
Views:	78
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	195469

With the breaks, those number cells will be shorter (one-word wide).

Without the breaks, the table could be super wide... hurting readability.

For easier skimming, it's also sometimes easier to have Units separated onto their own lines.

... It all depends on the table/data though. (For more info on that, see 2021: "Formatting tables best practices".)

Best Way to Remove Breaks?

What I do is a pass with this regex:

Search: <br ?[^>]*/>
Replace: <---- Absolutely NOTHING (or a SPACE)

and go through the book, replacing one-by-one while staring at Preview to see if it's actually important.

Where is 99% of the <br/> Crud?

It's leftover cruft like:

Code:
<ul>
	<li>List</li>
	<li>List</li>
	<li>List<br/></li>   <---- Remove
</ul>

<p>End of Chapter 1.<br/></p> <---- Remove

<h2>Chapter 2</h2>

[...]

<p><br /></p>    <---- Remove
</body>
</html>
where someone accidentally left invisible "ENTER"s at the end of their chapters/paragraphs.

- - - - -

Side Note: This last author I worked with, I had to teach him about "Show All" in Word/LibreOffice, so he could visibly see those extra:
  • Hard Enter = ¶ (pilcrow)
  • Soft Enter = ↵

Then I taught him how to use Find&Replace to eliminate them, and replace with Styles.

This makes the DOCX/ODT infinitely easier to clean+convert... but most people don't do this, hence lots of garbage introduced into the ebooks.

Quote:
Please don't get overwhelmed by our little disagreements... it is mostly just minor differences in technique. Both will get you what you want and look the same way...

Quote:
my techniques just happen to be better in every way!

Now you're sounding like a certain canine friend of ours!!!

There's only one true way to do it—his way—and if you deviate from it by a nanometer, he'll pounce!!!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-01-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
<br/> Appears automatically in my chapter headings if I do newline rather than regular enter (which makes a new paragraph) so as to force a two line heading rather than random wrap.

It means any auto TOC generation only has one entry for the chapter rather than two; the renderer auto spaces the two lines according to the font metrics/size.

But I can't think of any other situation that uses <br/> that's not better done some other way. Again the goal is to not edit the ebook, but only source, the exception being tweaking CSS for images.

I also run search & replace on the WP source so that:
There are only single spaces ever.
No leading spaces
No trailing spaces.
No empty paragraphs
(In LO, $[ ], [ ]^ and ^$)

You'd have to deliberately type a newline as "enter" is always a new paragraph.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-01-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #41
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I doubt they are connected to the Mobi case mentioned since I see them in the middle of book titles to prettify the line breaks in a long book title for example.

One of the many reasons I now use KindleUnpack to convert azw3/KF8 to epub is that the css is not munged in the process.
Ahhh. Thanks for mentioning "KindleUnpack"! I've not heard of this, I'll look into it. Cheers!
CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:17 PM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

Now you're sounding like a certain canine friend of ours!!!

There's only one true way to do it—his way—and if you deviate from it by a nanometer, he'll pounce!!!
Canis Pedantus?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote