Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-06-2022, 05:28 AM   #46
rebski
rebski began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Have you tried building your own? That appears to work for Arch users.
Thanks for the suggestion, BYO is something that no doubt I shall have to learn one day but for the moment it remains a challenge. However I have taken the easy route of installing Flatpak and then Sigil from there. So far so good and let's see how it goes, this is my first attempt at Flatpak. Heady days!
rebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:09 AM   #47
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

The Sigil package for Archlinux has been successfully updated to 1.9.10. As far as I can see, it has been built using Qt 5.15.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil.png
Views:	113
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	194212  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #48
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes they nicely cherry picked our workaround to the change in gcc compiler generated code introduced by them using lto (link time optimization).
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

The Sigil package for Archlinux has been successfully updated to 1.9.10. As far as I can see, it has been built using Qt 5.15.
If you're asking about Qt6 vs Qt5 (considering some of the Qt6 conversations happening here), then yes: Qt5 is still the official Qt of Sigil right now. We're getting very close to officially making the switch to Qt6 (probably Sigil 2.0), but the current default (and expected) builds are still with Qt5.

Manually building with Qt6 was a workaround for the original 1.9.10-1 package that was broken on Arch. Now that 1.9.10-2 is available, there's no need to use the manual Qt6 workaround. Unless people want to experiment--and then we'll take all the beta-testing we can get.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #50
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Okay, this is the 10th time:
When I open the Search/Replace simulation window, sometimes I change the search and then I shift+click again to launch the simulation... and it do nothing because the window is still open. So I have to close the window and relaunch the simulation. Grmff

So, my suggestion is the following: when you SHIFT+click to launch a simulation, it refreshes the current window (or opens one).
It will be so much smoother, Thank you.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we'll wait to see if it's just you that can't get the hang of it.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are talking about Dry Run Replace, after changing your search parameters just hit the refresh button in the existing window. There is no need to close it, and any attempt to create two of these will be ignored as it is a top level non-modal dialog and FindReplace does not keep a separate pointer to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Okay, this is the 10th time:
When I open the Search/Replace simulation window, sometimes I change the search and then I shift+click again to launch the simulation... and it do nothing because the window is still open. So I have to close the window and relaunch the simulation. Grmff

So, my suggestion is the following: when you SHIFT+click to launch a simulation, it refreshes the current window (or opens one).
It will be so much smoother, Thank you.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:00 AM   #53
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
[...] just hit the refresh button in the existing window. [...]
WHAT?
*look*
Oh, god DAMIT!!!
I'm so dump blind, sorry for that

So, in this case, I would have suggested that it be an alternative solution, but you made me understand that it will NOT BE POSSIBLE for technical reasons.
Too bad. It would have been very cool, because as this anecdote shows (for me at least), this is a natural behavior expected.
Thank and have a nice day KevinH
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:24 AM   #54
rebski
rebski began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
I am using the Flatpak install and am having issues with Search/Replace. Simply put it doesn't work at all, neither the items on the Menu Search or the little icons on the end of the Find/Replace/Mode/Options box. Would anybody have a suggestion, please?

After moving to Linux I appear to be having a succession of issues but, while waiting for developments to catch up, is there a Linux epub editor that can be recommended as I would like to get on with projects and which are now stalled.
rebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #55
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, just build your own on Linux or choose a Linux distribution that keeps current. Either solution works. There are step by step instructions for building your own from Source on Linux in our Repo.

You did not say which Linux distribution and version you are using. Looking back I think you said OpenSuse. If so you can just grab their Sigil-1.9.2 version or file a bug report with them and ask their Sigil maintainer to cherry pick the same patches that Arch has for working around gcc -flto issues.

But that said, based on this link, a fixed version of Sigil 1.9.10 for OpenSuse is already available. See the last post here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/archive/.../t-570506.html

So updating to that version using your package manager should make things work.

As for the flatpack package, it sounds like issues with the pcre2 version not being available or not working. I have not run into that. You might want to alert the flatpak builder and file a bug report with them in case it can be fixed.

Alternatively, Calibre has its own ebook editor as part of its ebook library management series, and Calibre maintains its own builds for Linux. You could give it a try.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-25-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For the record, the 1.9.10 Flatpak version of Sigil works fine on my machine. No problem with any of the Find & Replaces features--menu or button. So whatever the problem is, I don't think it's with the Sigil Flatpak maintainer's package.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:00 PM   #57
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Does the flatpak image have pcre2 or does it rely on the user having that on his/her machine?

I just can't think of any thing other than a missing pcre2-16 lib that would only break find and replace.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I'm not all that familiar with the intricacies of Flatpak. I DO know that it downloads a huge amount of dependencies to support various packages. I doubt that they would leave something like pcre2 up to chance, but I can't say for certain. I'll do some poking around and see what I can find.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Seems the flatpak version is relying on the system pcre2. Why it wouldn't be built with all of the bundled third-party libs is beyond me. But regardless of that; flatpak Sigil fails to launch at all on my system when pcre2 is unavailable. So I doubt that's the issue here, either.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Interesting. As you said, I assume that all our 3rd party apps would be bundled with any Sigil flatpak.

I keep reading up on AppImage and wondering how hard it would be to create one of our own as part of a CI phase with Github Actions. They seem to be using Travis in their own examples. I may start to play around just to see how difficult this is to create an /opt/Sigil app image.