Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #2116
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I've read and liked Roger Crowley's history of Venice (City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas), but haven't read his book about the fall of Constantinople, 1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West. Still, I would imagine it's pretty good, and it has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US, so I'll probably add it to my TBR pile...

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092TEB14
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0092TEB14

Spoiler:
Quote:
A gripping exploration of the fall of Constantinople and its connection to the world we live in today.

The fall of Constantinople in 1453 signaled a shift in history and the end of the Byzantium Empire. Roger Crowley's readable and comprehensive account of the battle between Mehmet II, sultan of the Ottoman Empire, and Constantine XI, the 57th emperor of Byzantium, illuminates the period in history that was a precursor to the current conflict between the West and the Middle East.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #2117
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Over in the audiobook thread, @skinmaan posted two free audiobooks, offered by Simon & Schuster, which are sort of self-help/conflict resolution books. The email @skinmaan received indicated they are being offered for free in light of current polarization in the US. I'm a bit skeptical this will help, but, hey, I don't think it can hurt, and the S&S letter is nice to read. Here's the link to that OP: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4234634

I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks, but when I checked the e-books, they are also free right now.

High Conflict: Why We Get Trapped and How We Get Out by Amanda Ripley
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LDW7M7J
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/high-conflict-1
Google Books: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=8NADEAAAQBAJ

Let's Talk About Hard Things by Anna Sale
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LDVZJ4F
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/let...-hard-things-1
Google Books: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=4s8DEAAAQBAJ
Advert
Old 06-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #2118
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
[QUOTE=sufue;4234809]Over in the audiobook thread, @skinmaan posted two free audiobooks, offered by Simon & Schuster, which are sort of self-help/conflict resolution books. The email @skinmaan received indicated they are being offered for free in light of current polarization in the US. I'm a bit skeptical this will help, but, hey, I don't think it can hurt, and the S&S letter is nice to read. Here's the link to that OP: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4234634

I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks, but when I checked the e-books, they are also free right now.

I am not a big fan of audio books either but since ebook and audio are both available for free from Kobo now, it gives me a no cost way to try out audio books on my Libra 2.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #2119
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Hey, I forgot about this thread!

Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution by David Carter is $2.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
The basis of the PBS American Experience documentary Stonewall Uprising.

In 1969, a series of riots over police action against The Stonewall Inn, a gay bar in New York City's Greenwich Village, changed the longtime landscape of the homosexual in society literally overnight. Since then the event itself has become the stuff of legend, with relatively little hard information available on the riots themselves. Now, based on hundreds of interviews, an exhaustive search of public and previously sealed files, and over a decade of intensive research into the history and the topic, Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution brings this singular event to vivid life in this, the definitive story of one of history's most singular events.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #2120
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Smile July reduction, Amazon UK 99p The Prodigal Tongue Lynne Murphy

The Prodigal Tongue

Buy it, you'll love it

first and perhaps only book on the relative merits of American and British English that is dominated by facts and analysis rather than nationalistic prejudice. For all its scholarship, this is also a funny and rollicking read.’

The Economist, Books of the Year

Only an American would call autumn fall or refer to a perfectly good pavement as a sidewalk… Not so, says Lynne Murphy. The English invented sidewalk in the seventeenth century and in 1693 John Dryden wrote the line, ‘Or how last fall he raised the weekly bills.’

Perhaps we don’t know our own language quite as well as we thought.

Murphy, an American linguist in Britain, dissects the myths surrounding British and American English in a laugh-out-loud exploration of how language works and where it's going.

https://theprodigaltongue.com/

Thoughtful, funny, and approachable... The book's momentum comes from Murphy's witty presentation, but its real power comes from its commitment to inquiry and its profound belief that 'communication involves a million little acts of faith.' --Publishers Weekly

Check ✔ The publisher changed the ASIN so no previous purchase check.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZWKQLZN/

Last edited by Little.Egret; 07-01-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #2121
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Everybody Thought We Were Crazy: Dennis Hopper, Brooke Hayward, and 1960s Los Angeles by Mark Rozzo is only $3.99 right now; cheap for a book that came out two months ago and got excellent reviews. For anyone with an interest in Los Angeles, the movies, or 1960s art and the counter-culture. I’m reading it now myself and enjoying it enormously. Price should be good all over; here’s the Kindle link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BNHCBL2/
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #2122
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Smile

Out of Africa: and Shadows on the Grass by Isak Dinesen $1.99 AmazonUS[/QUOTE] a cross post to the correct genre.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #2123
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

I really enjoyed Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body, and now here's his recent Some Assembly Required: Decoding Four Billion Years of Life, from Ancient Fossils to DNA on sale at Kindle UK for £0.99 as part of today's Daily Deal. I do wish non-fiction titles didn't always seem to come with such long tag lines, but OTOH, with some of the long ones, you don't really need to read the blurb ...

In any case, I'm looking forward to reading this one too.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWKZMR6
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWKZMR6

Spoiler:
Quote:
‘Intimate and thoughtful… Exciting… [A] sweeping evolutionary history.’ Science

The author of the bestselling Your Inner Fish gives us a brilliant, up-to-date account of the great transformations in the history of life on Earth.

This is a story full of surprises. If you think that feathers arose to help animals fly, or lungs to help them walk on land, you’d be in good company. You’d also be entirely wrong.

Neil Shubin delves deep into the mystery of life, the ongoing revolutions in our understanding of how we got here, and brings us closer to answering one of the great questions – was life on earth inevitable…or was it all an accident?
Old 07-26-2022, 10:09 AM   #2124
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
This looked interesting:
Stalking the Red Bear By Peter Sasgen $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N

Quote:
In this thrilling true account, a commanding officer of a nuclear submarine offers readers an inside look at covert submarine espionage operations against the Soviet Union during the Cold War.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:53 AM   #2125
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I've read and liked Roger Crowley's history of Venice (City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas),
This sounds very interesting! I have a fascination for Venice.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:58 PM   #2126
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
I really enjoyed Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body, and now here's his recent Some Assembly Required: Decoding Four Billion Years of Life, from Ancient Fossils to DNA on sale at Kindle UK for £0.99 as part of today's Daily Deal. I do wish non-fiction titles didn't always seem to come with such long tag lines, but OTOH, with some of the long ones, you don't really need to read the blurb ...

In any case, I'm looking forward to reading this one too.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWKZMR6
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWKZMR6
Bump, since it's stil 99p
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:55 PM   #2127
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

It's £0.99 right now at Kindle UK, and has been since around July 1, so I'm guessing maybe part of the UK Monthly Deal. In which case you should grab it fast if you want it, since it's almost July 31 there right now !

Otherwise it goes on sale fairly often in the UK, and occasionally in the US...

A History of Venice, by John Julius Norwich
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XHNOK6
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XHNOK6

I too have a fascination for Venice, mostly indulged by reading Donna Leon's excellent Guido Brunetti mystery series, set in Venice, which has wonderful backgrounds and a great sense of local culture. And which go on sale pretty often in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
This sounds very interesting! I have a fascination for Venice.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #2128
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
It's £0.99 right now at Kindle UK, and has been since around July 1, so I'm guessing maybe part of the UK Monthly Deal. In which case you should grab it fast if you want it, since it's almost July 31 there right now !

Otherwise it goes on sale fairly often in the UK, and occasionally in the US...

A History of Venice, by John Julius Norwich
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XHNOK6
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XHNOK6

I too have a fascination for Venice, mostly indulged by reading Donna Leon's excellent Guido Brunetti mystery series, set in Venice, which has wonderful backgrounds and a great sense of local culture. And which go on sale pretty often in the US...
I did manage to get this, thanks!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #2129
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Jane Austen at Home: A Biography by Lucy Worsley is just £0.99 today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4MACT6/

I haven't read this myself, but I will be reading it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #2130
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Jane Austen at Home: A Biography by Lucy Worsley is just £0.99 today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4MACT6/

I haven't read this myself, but I will be reading it.
Also available at Kobo UK for £0.99.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote