Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #1396
ZiggyF
ZiggyF began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
color tags

I have noticed that since firmware 4.28.1822 the epub reader no longer seems to take into consideration the color tags from the css file. I was hoping that this would be fixed in a later version but the problem is still there.

I have quite a few epubs that use different font colors -- e.g. a lighter grey for links or to set apart a line or paragraph from the rest of the text, or white to "hide" some letters or passages.

Until recently, it was OK to use:
<p><span class="t1">Lorem ipsum</span></p> in the text file
together with .t1{font-size:1em;color:white} or t1{font-size:1em;color:#ffffff} in the css file.
This still works for kepubs but no longer for epubs.
Also, the desired color is still displayed correctly if I change it within the text (e.g. <p><span style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255)">Lorem ipsum</span></p>) for every single word/line individually. The problem only exists when a color tag is assigned in the css file.

Is this a bug or a deliberate "improvement"? I know I could just read kepub instead but I much prefer epubs.
Does anyone know a way to fix this other than editing every single epub individually?
ZiggyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #1397
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
In the last version of Kobo Firmware, it seems that cbz within accent make the Kobo reboots when generate the thumbnails.

For example i have a file "test.cbz" and in this file i have :
\nom avec accent comme é\001.jpg
\nom avec accent comme é\002.jpg
(don't test on your Kobo because it will loop)

With this file, my Kobo reboots and loops because this file is in the home display of the Kobo and it try to generate the thumbnail from the first picture.
I have to restore the Kobo to be able to stop the loop process (i have to copy again all my files to the Kobo).

Last edited by dem1980fr; 05-22-2022 at 07:01 AM.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #1398
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
In the last version of Kobo Firmware, it seems that cbz within accent make the Kobo reboots when generate the thumbnails.

For example i have a file "test.cbz" and in this file i have :
\nom avec accent comme é\001.jpg
\nom avec accent comme é\002.jpg
(don't test on your Kobo because it will loop)
Last time I looked, placing images within directories in a cbz/cbr/cb7 was not a good idea. Adding in a special character in the directory name makes it even less of a good idea.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:27 AM   #1399
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Last time I looked, placing images within directories in a cbz/cbr/cb7 was not a good idea. Adding in a special character in the directory name makes it even less of a good idea.
Using subdirectories in CBR/CBZ should be OK. I have tested it a few times. There might be an issue if there are multiple levels or unexpected files. But, as you said, special characters in any of the names is a bad idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:56 AM   #1400
gdbanon
gdbanon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thumbs down

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Software: v. 4.33.19611

I have noticed that the page buttons are inverted when in landscape orientation with the buttons at the bottom of the device. In all other orientations, the buttons work as expected. This applies to both the default button setup and the inverted option.

Does anyone else have the same issue or any suggestions for a fix? It's of no use to me to have the device in landscape orientation with the buttons at the top of the device unfortunately, and I would like them to operate as expected in both portrait and landscape modes.

Many thanks.
gdbanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #1401
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I posted this under the Software version thread. before realising this thread existed, so apologies to the mods if one needs removing.

Just to report that I have had a random restart on my Libra 2 with this firmware 4.33.19759. Installed just over a fortnight ago, doing nothing but reading. Happened mid-page, not even turning the page.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #1402
DizHell
DizHell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage and Kindle DX
Stylus bug

hello to all, French user of a Kobo Sage for a few days, I was confronted from the beginning with the problem of ghost stylus, the first time I had to have an iphone in connection sharing around me, the second time it It is by plugging and unplugging the tablet during the sync with caliber that it came back. Do you have any info on how to fix this bug?
DizHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #1403
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Kobo Libra 2 is subject to random resets whichever firmware it is running.
I started with the 4.31 it came with and that reset itself randomly, tried 4.33.19759. which also reset for no reason apparent to me, and so tried 4.32 which someone mentioned on here as without issues. That reset itself twice this morning in the space of five minutes.

So Kobo sells an excellent device with firmware that can't even perform the basic functions without crashing. Why they wasted time and money adding a useless audiobook function is beyond me when they must have known that the basic firmware was buggy and needed fixing first.

But anyway, can anything be done to urge them to sort out the basics?
There is no point contacting Kobo support as they are very nice and friendly but have no power at all.
Does anyone who matters from Kobo read this forum?
Does anyone have pictures of the CEO of Kobo Rakuten in a compromising position that they could use to encourage him to get it sorted?

Such a dreadful pity as otherwise it is my ideal reader.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:07 PM   #1404
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'd be inclined to think the hardware is failing. See if warranty's still valid.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #1405
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'd be inclined to think the hardware is failing. See if warranty's still valid.
The warranty is still valid as it's been less then a year since the Libra 2 was released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #1406
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Edit:It never occurred to me that it could be hardware - it's only a couple of months old.
I suppose there'd be a lot more people reporting random restarts if it were the firmware.
I'll try that route thank you.

Last edited by Ned; 08-30-2022 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #1407
DizHell
DizHell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage and Kindle DX
I have found that the stylus can also be detected when my Garmin watch comes or my Samsung A52s smartphone is too close to the eReader.
As a result, it could be the slightest bluetooth disturbance that would cause the reader to detect a stylus fault.
DizHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:13 PM   #1408
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Edit:It never occurred to me that it could be hardware - it's only a couple of months old.
I suppose there'd be a lot more people reporting random restarts if it were the firmware.
I'll try that route thank you.
It's not the hardware. At least, it's not your hardware in particular. I got a Libra 2 in May and it constantly crashed by rebooting. I returned it. Ended up buying a new one again last week, even with its new hardware revision, it crashes even more often.

It's such a nice looking device but an absolute mess under the hood.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:25 AM   #1409
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
It's not the hardware. At least, it's not your hardware in particular. I got a Libra 2 in May and it constantly crashed by rebooting. I returned it. Ended up buying a new one again last week, even with its new hardware revision, it crashes even more often.

It's such a nice looking device but an absolute mess under the hood.
Ah thank you! That's helpful. I must admit I was at a loss what, if anything to do for the best.
It's practically my perfect reader, apart from the crashing, but returning and swapping it would involve dealing with the infamous Kobo service department from whom I bought it for £20 off, so wouldn't be easy.

I think on balance then I'll just keep it and put up with the crashing.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:17 AM   #1410
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
Yesterday my device freezes while light and brightness adjusting. It's not the first time, with last firmware.
I had to press power button for long time in order to restart it. For now, it never happened during book reading.
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app