Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 02:26 AM   #1366
kindle_helpme
kindle_helpme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kindlegen app is currently available on Windows and MacOS where it installs as part of the Kindle Previewer. I know there was a installation of KindleGen for Linux and I seem to remember the executable had to be moved to /usr/local/bin but even if you find the installer tarball I'm not even moderately certain that it will still work. I seem to remember you don't need KindleGen unless you want to generate a .mobi file.

I took a look at the ciromattia github page and the Linux installer has not been available for quite a while.

Doing some quick searching, I found some information at the ASCIIDoctor project:

Current workaround for Linux is:
  • Find kindlegen_linux_2.6_i386_v2_9.tar.gz somewhere in the internet. Note that this step is legally questionable.
  • Unpack it
    {*]Do one of
    a. Add unpacked directory to PATH
    b. Set KINDLEGEN environment variable with path to KindleGen executable
    c. Use -a ebook-kindlegen-path=/path/to/kindlegen to command line when converting to Mobi

Searching for the tarball file found quite a few hits including:

https://github.com/zzet/fp-docker/find/master

https://archive.org/download/kindlegen2.9

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply.. If that's the case, is there any work around where I can get JPGs to be a substitute of book for the Kindle Paperwhite 2021? I read older ones were able to do it by either making /images/(folder name)/001.jpg, etc or /pictures/ in place of images but none seem to work for me.

I have basically JPGS of a literature that my friend has written before passing away and was looking for ways to read it on the Kindle while I travel (I bought Kindle the first time specifically for this reason)
kindle_helpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #1367
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kindlegen app is currently available on Windows and MacOS where it installs as part of the Kindle Previewer.
Thanks for that tip!

If anyone is wondering where it is on Mac, it is in:

/Applications/Kindle Previewer 3.app/Contents/lib/fc/bin

No doubt it is somewhere analogous on Windows.

In theory, KCC could take a PR to have it look at these locations, and just have folks on Windows and Mac install Kindle Previewer for MOBI/AZW support. Also the proposed calibre plugin could move forward. But it seems the project has gone stale (last release was 21 Oct 2019), so it's for someone else to take it on.

I'm currently trying to modify kcc-c2e.py (from KCC_headless https://github.com/whtsky/kcc) to do a better job of putting together ePub files from photo collections, but targeting tablets and not eInk devices. This is a use case KCC isn't really addressing, but I'm having some fun with it, and will see where it goes.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-05-2022 at 01:25 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #1368
abikyoukan
abikyoukan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is there any way to add a feature like: "delete the original file and keep the converted file only"? Would be useful
abikyoukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #1369
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Just wanted to say thank you for this software. It is absolutely brilliant!
FacetiousKnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:26 PM   #1370
Jwing
Enthusiast
Jwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle PW
Hi! I am on Windows and I have just downloaded the new version 5.6.0. This time is only a executable and I want a CBZ output. There is a warning saying that KCC could not find 7z, I already have it on my machine. How can I make 7z work with KCC?

I have tried to put the executable in the same folder as KCC, the warning is gone, but the size of the output is 3 times bigger than the original files.
Jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:31 PM   #1371
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Add it to path
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:29 AM   #1372
ptomic
ptomic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle PW 1, Kindle PW 3, iphone
I'm trying to convert a directory with CBR/CBZ to MOBI/AZW3.
Every time I get an error.
Errors that I receive are:
  • Source directory is empty (directory isn't empty)
  • Not enough disk space to perform conversion (files are stored on network drive and there is 450GB of free space, KCC is installed on SSD C:\ and there is 70GB of free space, converted file will be stored on HDD with 1.5TB free space.)
-
ptomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #1373
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Add it to path

Could you possible explain further??

Thank you
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:23 PM   #1374
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptomic View Post
I'm trying to convert a directory with CBR/CBZ to MOBI/AZW3.
Every time I get an error.
Errors that I receive are:
  • Source directory is empty (directory isn't empty)
  • Not enough disk space to perform conversion (files are stored on network drive and there is 450GB of free space, KCC is installed on SSD C:\ and there is 70GB of free space, converted file will be stored on HDD with 1.5TB free space.)
-

I don't think KCC support directory of CBZ/CBR. It's directory of images, or the CBZ/CBR themselves.

For disk space error, KCC use the OS temp directory, and require the space 2.5 times the size of the input file.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:44 PM   #1375
ptomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I don't think KCC support directory of CBZ/CBR. It's directory of images, or the CBZ/CBR themselves.

For disk space error, KCC use the OS temp directory, and require the space 2.5 times the size of the input file.
Ok, thank you.
It would be better if there any kind of batch possibilities.

Last edited by ptomic; 01-24-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:48 AM   #1376
Homer55
Enthusiast
Homer55 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptomic View Post
Ok, thank you.
It would be better if there any kind of batch possibilities.
you can drag and drop all the cbz/cbr to the KCC interface and all the files will be listed there, you can batch convert that way
Homer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #1377
ptomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer55 View Post
you can drag and drop all the cbz/cbr to the KCC interface and all the files will be listed there, you can batch convert that way
Thank you, I discovered that way too 2 days ago...
Old 01-29-2023, 07:43 PM   #1378
perstranger
perstranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Is the Kindle PW 5 the profile for the signature edition or is there s separate one?
perstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:02 PM   #1379
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, Signature or not is irrelevant here, it's the same screen.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:16 PM   #1380
perstranger
perstranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, Signature or not is irrelevant here, it's the same screen.
Great, thanks!
perstranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools