Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-31-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Side loaded dictionary not working

I'm trying to install the Russian-English dictionary available here on my Era:

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/su...tbook-inkpad-3

I installed per the instructions but get only No results found. And it does not appear in the Select Dictionary list.

What might I have overlooked?

There is a much larger StarDict dictionary that I think I can convert to .dic format but I don't want to try it until I can get this one working.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
I guess it would help if ... you write exactly what you did instead of "installed per instructions". Otherwise you know ... its just guesses that come back.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
I guess it would help if ... you write exactly what you did instead of "installed per instructions". Otherwise you know ... its just guesses that come back.
It's supposed to be very simple: copy the ru_short.dic file to /system/dictionaries folder. Which is all that I did.

Ideally someone who has actually done this can tell me what it would look like had it worked, what else to check, etc. I've only had a PocketBook device for a week.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
1) Did you try a reboot?
2) The dics from the Pocketbook site should be downloadable via the dictionary menu on the device. Did you try that too?
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
1) Did you try a reboot?
2) The dics from the Pocketbook site should be downloadable via the dictionary menu on the device. Did you try that too?
Okay, it is working now. I might have missed it before: it's all the way at the bottom of the Select Dictionary list under OTHER. I'm all set to read Война и мир.

It's weird that Pocketbook does not include any Russian dictionaries (on dictionary menu), given you can use that as UI language and for TTS. Kindles do.

Now I'lll see if I can convert the Stardict dictionary (KOReader uses this one), which should be much better.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
huh! I was going to say that of course they include a Russian->English dictionary, but looking more closely I only see one on my really old devices (901 and first Touch Lux). My Inkpad and Colour don't include one by default. I guess there wasn't enough space for every dictionary they might provide.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
huh! I was going to say that of course they include a Russian->English dictionary, but looking more closely I only see one on my really old devices (901 and first Touch Lux). My Inkpad and Colour don't include one by default. I guess there wasn't enough space for every dictionary they might provide.
If it were a matter of space, surely Russian-English is going to get used more than, say, Azerbaijani-English. I don't know where I would even find Azerbaijani texts. And the dictionaries are not on-device, they still need to be downloaded.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #8
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
Most of the free stardict format russian dictionaries are rather bad quality, but the Korolew one is OK, with some 30K headwords. There's also a good 30K russian-german translation dictionary.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #9
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm all set to read Война и мир.
That's quite a task! I tried the German edition "Krieg und Frieden", but I haven't finished it yet.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMole View Post
Most of the free stardict format russian dictionaries are rather bad quality, but the Korolew one is OK, with some 30K headwords. There's also a good 30K russian-german translation dictionary.
Thanks for pointing out the Korolew one. I was about to try the GNU PL one (372553 entries? they count every word form as an entry or something?).

Sigh. Can't get KOReader to download dictionaries over WiFi (again). It worked yesterday...

[update:] And finally download worked. Something flakey in there.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-01-2022 at 09:16 PM.