Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
PRS 700 ?

Hi,

Just wondering if it's likely that calibre will eventually support the 700 if it has a similar o/s to the 505 ?

Think that would be the clincher for me to wait until 17 Nov

Thanks
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
We don't know anything definite. But I would guess that Callibre will support the PRS-700. The 700 doesn't have any new formats and like the 505 is recognized as a USB flash drive when attached to a PC. It shouldn't take Kovid very long to update callibre so it will recognize the 700.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'll need a 700 to do it, but once I have one, shouldn't take more than a day.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'll need a 700 to do it, but once I have one, shouldn't take more than a day.
I think Target has a liberal return policy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Thanks

Decision made.

Will get this over the 505 since not that much different pricewise for us Australians :

ie pickup the 505 in London with lightcover for 235GBP (ie approx 535 Aussie dollars) or wait till Nov 17 and pay BH Photo 399USD (approx515 AUD) plus postage.

Ie for the cost of postage and waiting a month I get the newer model, which may one day have dictionary support

Thanks
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think Target has a liberal return policy.

BOb
Maybe a donation towards getting him a PRS-700 would be more appropriate.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I'm still too busy getting over the cost of my PRS-500 to think of importing a new model
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Thanks

Decision made.

Will get this over the 505 since not that much different pricewise for us Australians :

ie pickup the 505 in London with lightcover for 235GBP (ie approx 535 Aussie dollars) or wait till Nov 17 and pay BH Photo 399USD (approx515 AUD) plus postage.

Ie for the cost of postage and waiting a month I get the newer model, which may one day have dictionary support

Thanks
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Maybe a donation towards getting him a PRS-700 would be more appropriate.
I actually have donated to Kovid... a couple of times actually... one time it was returned.

Anyway... I am hoping that Kovid could do this without even having one. He got calibre working with the UK version of the 505 by having someone with one give him responses to some pythons commands. Perhaps he can do this for the 700. But... yes it would be nice it he has enough donations to be able to get a 700... he deserves it!

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Thanks

Decision made.

Thanks
Don't you get changed any Duty/Tax on the import? Importing to the UK, you'd expect to have to pay something like 17.5% VAT plus carrier's admin charge, although I think there's no duty as into the UK, AIUI, it's zero-rated.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
it would be nice it he has enough donations to be able to get a 707... he deserves it!
Hmm... aiming high, eh! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I actually have donated to Kovid... a couple of times actually... one time it was returned.

Anyway... I am hoping that Kovid could do this without even having one. He got calibre working with the UK version of the 505 by having someone with one give him so responses to some pythons commands. Perhaps he can do this for the 707. But... yes it would be nice it he has enough donations to be able to get a 707... he deserves it!

BOb
Well depends on if the database structure and folder layout is unchanged between the two. If yes, then all I need is its USB product id and vendor id. If not, then I need to get my hands on one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Quote:

BOb
I'm taking this opportunity to call for another round of donations to support Calibre and Kovid. If he can get enough for a PRS-700, the whole community would benefit many times over, not like we haven't already
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedicated View Post
I'm taking this opportunity to call for another round of donations to support Calibre and Kovid. If he can get enough for a PRS-700, the whole community would benefit many times over, not like we haven't already
So start a ChipIn page. I'll donate!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:

Anyway... I am hoping that Kovid could do this without even having one. He got calibre working with the UK version of the 505 by having someone with one give him responses to some pythons commands. Perhaps he can do this for the 700. But... yes it would be nice it he has enough donations to be able to get a 700... he deserves it!

BOb
Yes I think we should donate to get Kovid a PRS700. But seriously I think it is Sony who is the most indebted to get him one.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Yes I think we should donate to get Kovid a PRS700. But seriously I think it is Sony who is the most indebted to get him one.
Actually, I really am not sure if Sony really likes the idea of calibre. Mainly because it enables the use of ebooks not purchased from Sony connect.

BOb