Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #3106
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I am re-reading Jaws in audio but I have to say it's rather boring in this format. I preferred it reading. Of course it's a time when the movie is far superior for most people

I had the same issue with Jurassic Park - loved the book, but the audio wasn't the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Interesting. When I reread Jaws as an audiobook a couple of years ago, I thought it was much better than I'd remembered. Not in the same league as the movie, but pretty good.
I don't think I ever eye-read Jurassic Park, but I thought the unabridged* audiobook was excellent. I found it almost as different from the movie as the book "Wicked" was different from the Broadway musical**, but excellent.

ApK

* I mention the unabridged version, because I accidently got, and listened to, the abridged version once, and it was awful.
** I loved the musical "Wicked." I found the book depressing, and a bit of a slog at times. It was thought provoking, but I was glad at how they changed it for Broadway!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #3107
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
IME, if a particular book is less successful as an audio book than as a regular book, the most likely culprit is the narrator. Not all narrators are created equal (!), but even the very best narrators sometimes have duds, or books that they just aren't a good fit for. Saying you found a book less successful as an audio book should, therefore, include the name of the narrator(s). And I'd say it should include whether the book was abridged or unabridged but I rather doubt any of us here opt for unabridged by choice.

Last edited by CRussel; 04-09-2021 at 07:15 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #3108
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I don't think I ever eye-read Jurassic Park, but I thought the unabridged* audiobook was excellent. I found it almost as different from the movie as the book "Wicked" was different from the Broadway musical**, but excellent.

ApK

* I mention the unabridged version, because I accidently got, and listened to, the abridged version once, and it was awful.
** I loved the musical "Wicked." I found the book depressing, and a bit of a slog at times. It was thought provoking, but I was glad at how they changed it for Broadway!
I have not seen a production of Wicked, but after the incredibly grim (audio)book I'm not inclined to seek one out!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #3109
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
I started, then soon abandoned, "Consider Phlebas," the first of the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks.
I've read the first three Culture books all out of order: Use of Weapons first, which was very dark but fascinating, not least of all for the world building; then Consider Phlebas, which is kind of jarringly episodic, and I actually put down for a while; then The Player of Games, which had me hooked from beginning to end; then I finished Consider Phlebas, which ended up also being very satisfying, if more uneven throughout than the later books. The rest are definitely on my TBR list, but I can see how a lot of people would bounce off hard.

I'm still blazing through Stirling's Emberverse/Change series.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #3110
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have not seen a production of Wicked, but after the incredibly grim (audio)book I'm not inclined to seek one out!
The musical is re-written to be family-friendly, with some really good music and
Spoiler:
a suitably happy ending that I was really wanting after the book!

If you liked the general idea of Elphaba's story in the book, and like Broadway musicals, I highly recommend the play.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-10-2021 at 03:15 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #3111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up the White Wolf. Another very solid offering. Just the Swords of Night and Day to go in the series.

Started The Oblique Approach by David Drake and Eric Flint. I loved the paper/ebook, but so far I'm not loving the audiobook. The narrator has a Rod Stirling/Charlton Heston style voice, but IMPO, the book ( it's the first in a series) requires someone who is more of a voice actor, with a wide range of voices and most important, more of an over the top performance.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #3112
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I don't think I ever eye-read Jurassic Park...
Be careful with the terminology you use. Apple may have a trademark on "eye-read".
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #3113
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I very much enjoyed Sphere by Michael Crichton and narrated by Scott Brick.

Just finished Stephen Fry's Victorian Secrets by John Wolf. This was a freebee one month at Audible and is non-fiction. Each chapter focuses on a different aspect of Victorian England such as how they dealt with bodies, serial killers, image and other stuff. Very interesting. Stephen Fry narrates but investigators also talk about their discoveries or summations.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #3114
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Ended up abandoning the audiobook version of the Oblique Approach. The narrator simply has the wrong voice for the book.

Moved on to Mutineer's Moon, the first book of David Weber's Dahak trilogy. I've read the book a number of time. So far, I like the narrator, Jonathan Todd Ross. He's more of a narrator than a voice actor, but so far it works well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #3115
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Listened to the first two books of the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Narrated by Christian Rummel. Military scifi written by a retired Navy guy. The battle scenes in Dauntless were excellent but the plot itself wasn't as strong. Plot was much better in Fearless and battle scenes continued to be excellent. EXCELLENT narration.

Currently 1/2 way through Black Beauty by Anne Sewell. Narrated excellently by Nathanial Parker. My sisters and even my Mom read this as kids - somehow I missed it. Got it free from Audible in 2012 when they were first introducing Whispersync. Yeah, just getting to it now.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #3116
Tarana
Wizard

Finished Black Beauty, which was a good story. So interesting that some ways of saying stuff has been around for over 140 years. Anne Sewell died a year after her book was published - her one and only book still published and read more than a century later. An author whose words lived on and on. I very much enjoyed Nathanial Parker's narration.

Moved on to Sourcery by Terry Pratchett and narrated by Nigel Planer. Second listen on this one. It was borrowed the first time, but I have since bought it, so first listen to my purchase.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #3117
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I took a break from Emberverse with one or two books left and started in on a random sale item: Cast Under an Alien Sun by Olan Thorensen. I was aiming for something more sci-fi, but what I got was A California Grad Student in King Arthur's Court, more or less, so not far off from Stirling. It's keeping my attention well enough (I am a sucker for these stories), but Thorensen doesn't stand up well to Stirling in terms of either writing skill or historical and technical knowledge. Jonathan Davis' narration is also mediocre at best: melodramatic in the action scenes and often just sing-songing in ways that lose the sense of the text. Granted, the text does him few favors. Like I said, it's holding my interest, and it's only 16 hours so I imagine I'll finish it, but I doubt I'll look for more from the author.

Last edited by taosaur; 04-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #3118
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just started listening to George Eliot's Daniel Deronda, narrated by the incomparable Nadia May (aka Donada Peters, aka Wanda McCaddon). This is for the upcoming discussion in the new Classics Salon.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #3119
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m listening to another Eliot, The Mill on the Floss, read by Laura Paton who is new to me and excellent. Unfortunately, she has a small and limited audiography, as I’d happily listen to her read more Victorian novels.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #3120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just started listening to George Eliot's Daniel Deronda, narrated by the incomparable Nadia May (aka Donada Peters, aka Wanda McCaddon). This is for the upcoming discussion in the new Classics Salon.
Hoopla had four audiobook versions of Daniel Deronda available. I was tempted to go with Wanda McCaddon (aka Donald Peters aka Nadia May), but decided to borrow the Jill Tanner version instead.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations