Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #76
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
Package questions:

As I work on perfecting my package installs, I'm just running my install packages over and over. Am I accumulating crap on the kindle someplace? (Outside of any stuff copied over in package scripts)

Are the .bin files just deleted after the install is done or are they being moved to some kind of "installed packages" folder?
darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #77
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
they are deleted
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #78
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
okay, another question. I'm trying to determine how likely it is that having my custom packages installed will break Amazon software updates.

Does an Amazon update only check files it is actually changing, or does it go out of it's way to verify there's not been any tampering?

I currently only have a single file I have to change, and I may be able to get around even that. All my additions go in standard Linux directories (/etc/*, /usr/local/*, etc)

If I don't touch any files and make it extremely unlikely to have a filename collusion will I avoid ever conflicting with Amazon updates? Obviously, I mean based on past history. They could change what they do at any point.
darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #79
savanik
savanik began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
Hi

This is the hack made by ebs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66
which includes the source code.
The file "framework-impl.jar.bdiff" (I guess) patches the "file framework_impl.jar" (but only for 2.2 version; ebs was smart enough to do a check before patching).

The main problem is that the .bdiff file is a 12k binary file. I think only ebs would be able to make easily a new patch. Someone else would have to do the patch from scratch.
Yes, it's a binary file. And there are a couple of bash scripts to install the binary diff. That is rather distinct from actual 'source code'.

What I'm looking for is the source code for the actual system, from which you can create the jars, and thus the resultant binary diffs that he's using to patch.

I would imagine they're already on my Kindle 2 in the first place, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how to get at them, and haven't been able to find any threads that relate to the idea of getting at them.

Without source, there can be no patch.

Sav

[Edit: Here I was thinking it was all hidden and was searching for ways to 'root the system folder' on my Kindle, when all I had do was look on Amazon's site and they've got it helpfully posted there for the world to see. *facepalm* Well, I'll start poking at it!]

Last edited by savanik; 01-29-2010 at 01:42 AM.
savanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #80
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darron View Post
okay, another question. I'm trying to determine how likely it is that having my custom packages installed will break Amazon software updates.

Does an Amazon update only check files it is actually changing, or does it go out of it's way to verify there's not been any tampering?
Looking at the installer of the firmware update, they have a list of files with their intended MD5 checksum.
That those files will actually be updated or just being checked, I dont know.

In practice, the most likely reason for an official update to fail was the text file containing the version number which had been modified and not properly restored.

I rarely say another reason for the upgrade to fail.

If in your install script ; you perform a reboot, prior to the installer getting a chance of restoring the original Amazon signing key ; then our own signing key would still be in place and it will refuse to install the Amazon update.

I've written a package that restore the original Amazon key should this happen.

Quote:
I currently only have a single file I have to change, and I may be able to get around even that. All my additions go in standard Linux directories (/etc/*, /usr/local/*, etc)

If I don't touch any files and make it extremely unlikely to have a filename collusion will I avoid ever conflicting with Amazon updates? Obviously, I mean based on past history. They could change what they do at any point.
IMHO, you are better off creating softlink to the /mnt/us location ; before you write anything, make sure you've checked you aren't overwriting anything .. if the file exists and you have to abort, make sure you revert everything you have done to this point..

At the end of the day, it's not rocket science
Pretty cool idea your stuff, wish you all the best

Jean-Yves
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #81
LadySoran
LadySoran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I have a issue.
I went into my Kindle but I couldn't find the System folder. I could see the other three files, though.
I also went into Folder Options, to change the option to hide hidden files to Show hidden files.
It didn't work.
I still can't see the system folder, even though I tried to make a new one with the same name and it said it already existed.
Any advice?...

I'd really like to have my own screensavers on my kindle like other people have done..
LadySoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #82
Texann07
Texann07 began at the beginning.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySoran View Post
I have a issue.
I went into my Kindle but I couldn't find the System folder. I could see the other three files, though.
I also went into Folder Options, to change the option to hide hidden files to Show hidden files.
It didn't work.
I still can't see the system folder, even though I tried to make a new one with the same name and it said it already existed.
Any advice?...

I'd really like to have my own screensavers on my kindle like other people have done..
I have been having the same problem. Can anyone else help us with this?

I have a K2i (v2.3), if that helps. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going wrong. I've read the instructions on the MobileRead wiki over and over, but I can't see anything that helps. Am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks!

-Ann-

Last edited by Texann07; 02-13-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in the version number.
Texann07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #83
Texann07
Texann07 began at the beginning.

Red face

Okay, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I don't know why I didn't think of it before (well, okay, I do, but that's a story for another time that involves the storm of the century and a looong power outage that had just ended and a not-yet-warm house and precious little sleep. Hi, I'm from Texas, and down here we freak out if there are three flurries of snow on the ground.). I'll go ahead and explain it in details for the person who posted above me.

On the MobileRead Wiki page, it shows that you need to click "Show Hidden Files and Folders". What I didn't pay attention to was the two unchecked boxes below it. This time, I made sure those were unchecked on my Folder Options as well, and lo and behold: the system folder magically appeared!

Sorry to take up the forum space! I promise next time to check the instructions twice.

-Ann-
Texann07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #84
crallion
crallion began at the beginning.

I just bought a new Kindle 2. I don't know what version, etc. But I would like to use this hack. I do the steps up until updating my Kindle. I go to Settings->Menu. But Update Your Kindle is greyed out, even though I have the update file in the root directory.

Any suggestions?
crallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #85
dd_engi
dd_engi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Does anyone know how to create packages for firmware 2.5 now?
dd_engi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #86
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_engi View Post
Does anyone know how to create packages for firmware 2.5 now?
The clever ones need to get their hands on the bin file. I downloaded them today for the K2I but they dont appear to be working.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #87
kindlenj
kindlenj began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation I have a kindle 2.0.3?

I believe this version can take unsigned updates but i am not sure. I have disabled 3G(EVO) network so that no updates are auto applied. But I would really like to try ubuntu on this device and help the community any suggestions?
kindlenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #88
clambert
clambert began at the beginning.

I too am looking for a 2.5 screensaver hack update (specifically the k2i). Subscribing to the thread in anxious anticipation.
clambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 AM   #89
a-2
a-2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
@clambert:
I think there already is one somewhere on the forum. Have a look around.
a-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #90
clambert
clambert began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-2 View Post
@clambert:
I think there already is one somewhere on the forum. Have a look around.
Ah. I see that now. Thanks!
clambert is offline   Reply With Quote