Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #181
Roxalon
Roxalon began at the beginning.

Device: Digma r63s
Hi mars owners! I have a question: How do you find battery life and the build quality? I've heard conflicting reports about these two things...
Roxalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #182
Sylph
Sylph began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by romevi View Post
Not sure what your side note on PS1 emulation was in regards to ereaders, but to play it on an eink display is absolute torture. To play it on anything but original hardware is sanctimonious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
...it's not like they're selling a ye olde PSP...
Quote:
Ah, I loved my PSP.
I was talking about CFW (custom firmware) and lamenting that Boyue had no reason to fear it (unlike e.g. Sony). It's... all explained in my post.
Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #183
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

I was talking about CFW (custom firmware) and lamenting that Boyue had no reason to fear it (unlike e.g. Sony). It's... all explained in my post.
Ah, my apologies.
The entirety of your post was far too verbose for me to ingest after my stomach already was lined with a few Moscow Mules.
romevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #184
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
A small tidbit of news for those who have a "first batch" Likebook Mars:

Rumor has it that the Likebook seller has emailed the link to the firmware upgrade to some LM owners who requested it. Rumor also has it that, in order to get the link, the user must promise not to share the firmware with anyone else but use it only for their own device. Rumor goes on to say that you need a Windows PC to install the upgrade. Rumor adds that you will get two sets of instructions: one for the firmware installation; one for the installation of Google Play Store.

Rumor finally states that if you understand what I am saying, you will also understand why I am saying it in this way...

PS: My purpose in saying this is to encourage you to ask the seller. Ask and you may receive!

Last edited by downeaster59; 10-14-2018 at 02:25 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #185
Sylph

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

Rumor has it that the Likebook seller has emailed the link to the firmware upgrade to some LM owners who requested it. Rumor also has it that, in order to get the link, the user must promise not to share the firmware with anyone else but use it only for their own device. Rumor goes on to say that you need a Windows PC to install the upgrade. Rumor adds that you will get two sets of instructions: one for the firmware installation; one for the installation of Google Play Store.

Rumor finally states that if you understand what I am saying, you will also understand why I am saying it in this way...

PS: My purpose in saying this is to encourage you to ask the seller. Ask and you may receive!
My seller told me to send mine back for a refund. Annoyed, as the second one I ordered, this time from Boyue direct, has been held up in customs for four f**king days and according to tracking just got custom duties served on it (the first one didn't).
Advert
Old 10-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #186
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomyou View Post
The seller on Aliexpress told me that the likebook mars doesnt support OTG.
Even if it did it probably wouldn't supply power to the device. Often folks have gotten OTG to work on other devices by using an external power supply.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #187
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxalon View Post
Hi mars owners! I have a question: How do you find battery life and the build quality? I've heard conflicting reports about these two things...
I've only had mine a few days and :-

Build quality is good, it's better than my Onyx Boox was but it's not premium considering the price. The case is well put together and doesn't creak or move. The on/off button seems to come out at a funny angle as does the usb connector but there's no movement so it all seems secure. I suspect the Kindle Oasis or the new Kobo would be better but it's certainly good enough and not poor like my Onyx Boox was.

Battery life is pretty good if you're just reading. If you're on the wifi, surfing the web and jumping from one app to another it goes down pretty fast but I think you'd still get 6-10 hours even doing that. I have mine set to power off after 2 hours, Wifi off after 30 minutes and screen off after 10 minutes and, for reading battery is good.

I am really impressed with the device TBH, it's clear, Android runs very well and it's amazingly fast and responsive to use. I read in the Kindle app, Moon Reader and Google Play Books and all of these work flawlessly with lots of contrast. I don't use the built-in reader or the built-in launcher so haven't really experienced the poor software issues that have been reported.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #188
Sonofrobot
Connoisseur
Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

Makes me wish I had been more persistent about just getting the file to do it myself. Oy vey, its done and I have Google Play Store so I'm happy.

Has anyone found a solution to getting WiFi to turn back on automatically when unlocking the device? I have WiFi set to disable 10 minutes after the display is locked and it has done wonders for my battery life. However, it won't turn back on automatically when the device is unlocked. I tried using WiFi Automatic, which can be found on the Play Store, but it doesn't work (I even allowed it to run in the background in the BySettings).

Last edited by Sonofrobot; 10-15-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sonofrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #189
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Has anyone found a solution to getting WiFi to turn back on automatically when unlocking the device? I have WiFi set to disable 10 minutes after the display is locked and it has done wonders for my battery life. However, it won't turn back on automatically when the device is unlocked. I tried using WiFi Automatic, which can be found on the Play Store, but it doesn't work (I even allowed it to run in the background in the BySettings).
If you will not find anything useful on google play store you can contact me. I already wrote script for myself which turning on and turning off WiFi automatically on selected apps, so I can write something similar for you.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #190
Sonofrobot
Connoisseur
Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Forma
For anyone looking for a solution to automatically turning WiFi on, Tasker so far is working really well.

Now, I am trying to find a good launcher to use. I do not want to use Relaunch (I don't see the point of having a file manager for a launcher). I am currently using E-Ink Launcher, which is nice and simple, but I'm interested in trying out the Onyx Boox launcher. I Can't seem to find an APK anywhere. Would anyone know where I can download it?

Last edited by Sonofrobot; 10-16-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Sonofrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #191
psychowood
Enthusiast
psychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmos

Can someone tell me if tachiyomi works well? I'm in the mood for replacing my i86ML...
psychowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #192
Sylph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
If you will not find anything useful on google play store you can contact me. I already wrote script for myself which turning on and turning off WiFi automatically on selected apps, so I can write something similar for you.
I'd be interested in seeing that, and any other scripts you've made for convenience. Throw them up on github?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #193
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I can publish examples in apk format here one by one, but first I have to make them less raw. Tomorrow? I will upload apk for enforcing status bar if anyone is interested.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #194
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychowood View Post
Can someone tell me if tachiyomi works well? I'm in the mood for replacing my i86ML...
It's okay. There's no way to align perfectly the pictures, but I've used only One-Punch Man.

Meant to mention that I was never a fan of Tachiyomi. I think it's a great app if you read on your phone where you have internet access 24/7, but the viewing options are very lackluster. My favorite manga/comic app is Perfect Viewer, and so I use that with Tachiyomi--Tachiyomi to download the manga and then compress them and view through Perfect Viewer.
(Don't worry; I delete them when I'm done and don't save.)

Last edited by romevi; 10-16-2018 at 05:46 PM.
romevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #195
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I use tachiyomi on the Likebook Plus without issue. I chose it because you can turn pages without animations, which is huge for an eReader.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote