Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #151
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have sent you a private message with link but better offer now you will get from there:
http://item.jd.com/32396233517.html
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #152
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Likebook Mars
I contacted the Amazon seller (Likebook) to try to get instructions on upgrading it manually. I don't mind doing that if it means being able to get Google Play officially installed.
romevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #153
ivanvt
ivanvt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Likebook Mars
Hi Guys, i am new to the forum just wanted to post about my experience with my Likebook Mars and Kobo Aura One.

I bought the likebook mars from Aliexpress and it took 2 days to arrive to NZ.

First boot goot the latest firmware version, upon reboot the language was in chinese, with a little bit of translation i managed to set it back to english.

Google Play apk was stored as a .rar file, i extracted the file, enable google play service and now i have goople play store.

I have yet to test lighting uniformity and refresh rate of third party application.
ivanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #154
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mars, kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, kindle fire hdx 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanvt View Post
I bought the likebook mars from Aliexpress and it took 2 days to arrive to NZ.
Which is the name of the seller, because there are three sellers and two (Ebook reader Store and Hi mary ebook Store) of them claim to deliver it from Spain. I am from Germany and I am thinking about buying the Mars.
Matilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #155
ivanvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilo View Post
Which is the name of the seller, because there are three sellers and two (Ebook reader Store and Hi mary ebook Store) of them claim to deliver it from Spain. I am from Germany and I am thinking about buying the Mars.
Got it form here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018...39364c4dYcbwRu

A few more notes:

- Likebook mars is super super slippery.
- Even if you are reading and swiping pages the device goes to sleep, in other words it does not detect page turning.
- Libby app margins are getting cropped at the top and is ready hard to read the store, page refresh is quite slow.
- Kindle app works way better however the wiki option does not load any information.
- Built in reader works like a charm, really fast and good refresh rate however it doesnt have dictionaries or instructions on how to load more.
- Built in reader needs way more options such as remaining time/pages/fonts perhaps fast reading.
- UI and software needs a lot of work, lots of text is overlapping or really bad translated.
- Lighting there are two different menus one inside the native reader to adjust brightness - and in order to adjust the "night" light you need to click on the main top bar.
- Would be nice to select a different default reader such as MR or FBReader
- Sleep screen doesn't show charging status, battery or the book you last read.

Last edited by ivanvt; 10-08-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #156
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Quote:
- Would be nice to select a different default reader such as MR or FBReader
A long press on a book cover will open up a dialogue box for "open way." Click the "always" option and you should be good to go.

"Open Way" Yes , many poor translations though out. I especially dislike "readed."

I also notice that the built in reader has issues with apostrophes, putting in line breaks at an 's.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #157
ivanvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
A long press on a book cover will open up a dialogue box for "open way." Click the "always" option and you should be good to go.

"Open Way" Yes , many poor translations though out. I especially dislike "readed."

I also notice that the built in reader has issues with apostrophes, putting in line breaks at an 's.
You are right, you can change the default reader, however both MR and FBReader have issues with refresh rates and ghosting.

Another thing i found is that the lighting system is not adaptive like the Kobo where the "night light" automatically starts around 11pm.

Hardware wise has a lot of potential however third party integration is abysmal and defeats the purpose of running Android.

After reading a few hours yesterday i prefer the Kobo Aura One as a reading device.

Last edited by ivanvt; 10-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #158
Johann Cat
Johann Cat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kindle III; Kindle PWII; Boyue T62D; Onyx Boox i86
Quote:
Hardware wise has a lot of potential however third party integration is abysmal and defeats the purpose of running Android.

After reading a few hours yesterday i prefer the Kobo Aura One as a reading device.
I agree with this assessment--I have two black and white Androids from 2014/2015
that I was hoping this Mars would easily surpass (speed? battery life? etc.), but it is in every way not only inferior to those (they handle Android 4 adeptly and run lots of apps well, esp. Moon +, but can be a little slow, especially in professional situations), but to a good Kobo or Kindle.
Johann Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #159
ivanvt

After more hours of side by side reading:

- I usually grab the ereaders with my right hand from the bottom right corner, the likebook feels more comfortable than the KAO as the edges are rounded.

- At the same time, the sleep button is exactly located where my little finger is, i reckon the sleep button should be located at the top.

- The KAO screen looks a little bit whiter.

- The default Likebook font is bolder which i really like.

- Likebook battery is really good, on par with the KAO (then again i enabled all power settings)

- Likebook menus are really snappy i suppose thanks to the ota core processor.

- Size, weight, margins etc, changes are really fast.

Home screen shows your reading acitvitiy however clicking on it does nothing, would like to see more widget option/information.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #160
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I also contacted the Amazon seller, and so far, I have been told, "I still need to ask the R&D engineer to see if you can get the upgrade firmware and instructions later.
If there is the latest news, I will let you know the first time."
The Amazon seller told me the same thing, but I haven't heard anything from the seller since then. Has anyone gotten the link to the upgrade firmware/instructions yet? Just curious...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #161
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I was told the same earlier this week. They informed me they'll send me a manual installation this week, whatever that means. I'll update when I learn more.

In their reply I received a PDF of instructions, so I was assuming I'd get some firmware via email.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #162
Sylph
Sylph began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romevi View Post
I was told the same earlier this week. They informed me they'll send me a manual installation this week, whatever that means. I'll update when I learn more.

In their reply I received a PDF of instructions, so I was assuming I'd get some firmware via email.
Do you mind sharing those instructions? I'm interested... even though I just got done organising sending back my Mars for a refund. When I asked the seller to get instructions and fixed firmware from Boyue, they just immediately approved my refund request. And I ordered another from Boyue directly...
Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #163
romevi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Do you mind sharing those instructions? I'm interested... even though I just got done organising sending back my Mars for a refund. When I asked the seller to get instructions and fixed firmware from Boyue, they just immediately approved my refund request. And I ordered another from Boyue directly...
It's a PDF, but it's the same as what's in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIkQPkNmgSA

The PDF comprises pictures of the Mars with red circles over the buttons we're supposed to press, and one-sentence instructions. We early adopters presumably would have to follow them if and when we get the manual firmware upgrade.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #164
wyzer
wyzer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 6.8"
Hello everyone,

I received mine yesterday (I bought it from here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2018-...923180286.html ).

I've tried something to lunch the Play Store and it works !!

1) Activate the Google Framework : BySettings => Apps => Clic on the "wheel settings" on the top right => Clic on "Enable Google Framework".

2) Go back to home, open the web browser.

3) Enter this address : play.google.com/store

4) Let the page load, and in a moment it will launch the Play Store.

Because we already have the Play Store on the Likebook Mars, but I think it's just a problem of "showing" the icon on the "App" section.

I hope it will help you.
wyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:18 AM   #165
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
I also received my Mars yesterday after it had been held up in customs for nearly a week. I ordered it from the Likebook Store on AliExpress and dealt with somebody called Alex who was extremely helpful.

So it arrived with a free a case (2 boxes) and I fired it up - all in Chinese but an option to switch to English. It had about 80% charge so I proceeded to connect it to the internet and it then did a firmware update and restarted in Chinese again. It took a little hunting around to find the Android settings to get it back into English. I enabled the Google Services and after a quite a while and a restart the Play Store appeared - I noticed the installation package was in the /sdcard directory ready for install.

I installed a few apps no problem - Kindle, Moon Reader Pro, Google Play Books all work beautifully. I installed Chrome and even watched a video on YouTube in A2 mode and it played and was viewable. Very like the magic newspapers in Harry Potter !

I am completely blown away by this device. Previously I've owned a Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch (upgraded to Android) and an Onyx Boox M96C. I really thought the Onyx was going to be the answer to what I wanted but it was too slow, unresponsive, low-res and it was just painful to use. This device fixes all of those issues - it's sharp, clear, very responsive and runs Android apps flawlessly.

So, the built in reader isn't good, the launcher is good but can only use the built-in reader so fatally flawed. I tried KOReader and RelaunchX and they didn't work particularly well together. RelaunchX just shows files instead of books with covers and then KOReader shows the last book you read rather than the one passed from the launcher. KOReader is also extremely slow when opening a new book, although works well when open.

So I settled on Moon+ Reader Pro which I also use on the Kobo Touch. This opened large EPUB's and even a huge scanned PDF very quickly and allowed for zooming to get sensible margins and then handled page turns effortlessly keeping the margins so no need to rezoom and pan on every page. So Now I just need a very basic launcher with just app icons, time and date, and a Wifi on/off button and I'm happy. All of the reader apps have their own library management features so it's unnecessary for the launcher to try and do this. The launcher and the reader reminded me very much of the Onyx platform so I suspect the same devs develop this stuff.

I am delighted with this device, it's a pleasure to use. I don't think I'll be using the built-in launcher and reader so I have no complaints about the poor software, the base Android system works very well indeed.

Last edited by azw409; 10-12-2018 at 04:24 AM.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote